Dedicated server - map selection?

• ED Team

No

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

The option to install selected maps would be a very good idea. It would certainly please many people, and this is probably not a very complicated matter. In addition, it would save players a lot of disk space and money to buy a larger disk.

This is done in DCS World, why you can't do it on a dedicated server. Of course, this is only about maps, all objects, vehicles and planes must remain for obvious reasons.

Edited by padonis

• ED Team

We are thinking about this option, it was useless with 3..4 terrains and will useful for 5 and more. But now it's impossible.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• 2 years later...

This feature  - to have the option to choose which terrains should be installed - is becoming a must. I run two dedicated servers - OpenBeta and Release. Each installation currently takes 170GB. There are two more maps coming  - Kola and Sinai. Fair guess is 40-50GB each map. Plus all the new airplanes. Well, the airplanes are not that big a deal at the moment, even though who knows where the future takes us. But the maps definitely need to be optional. My "squadron" really only flies Caucasus and Syria and I am pretty sure most of the other groups use no more than three maps, yet they have to pay for more space (in case of cloud server hosting) or have to buy bigger SSDs just to store a bunch of data they are not even using. 

So, ED,  pretty please, take it into consideration. I know you have a lot on your hands, but the way Dedicated server currently handles the maps is really impractical.

Thanks, 

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

it is not as slim as possible but there is stuff spared. okay, given it's basically only the interiors that are missing lol.

but how's AI able to see otherwise? Some stuff like the carrier launches is scripted but iirc AI is actually using textures when operating the pods. how to use FLIR without FLIR textures? 

but I agree having a selection for the map textures would be nice. that does mean that you cannot load all missions with all maps and always have to remember what you got installed.

Anyway for drive space limited servers the ntfs compression works wonders on DCSs big files. I have it enabled on all files >400MB

[ ]  twitch.tv/eld0r — Chaos, dumme Sprüche, Chaos und keine Wiederholungen.  [ ]