DCS World -Stable- F-16C Status??

Zulu111

I am running DCS World Stable 2.5.6.49798 and I was thinking of buying the F-16 Module. Before I do so I wanted to get a feeling for how "complete" the F-16 is as of now. I have looked at the DCS World Stable 2.5.6.49798 Changelog and I see many updates to the F-16 Module. Are the basic flight, weapons, and operational characteristics more or less in place now? Damage models, etc? Major weapon and sensor systems? Thank you in advance for any feedback. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

They way I like to describe it is that the F-16 is fully usable as a DCS World plane. It doesn't have all the features implemented yet, but you can successfully take part in a complex mission, especially air to air.

Stable has a damage model, radar with RWS TWS SAM and DGFT modes, all AA weapons, data link, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the DED menus available, and dumb/laser bombs for A2G.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I am not saying don't buy the f16, it is good as it is but clearly not complete, at first I thought this wouldn't bother me because features would roll in progressively and I would have time to learn or enjoy them individually but having just bought the almost feature complete jf17 I must admit that having an already very complete plane just feels a thousand times better than the f16 that has (I think) so few working systems and weapons.

Regarding your question, I'd still say that the f16 is totally combat capable for A/A, I mean it has a radar, aim120's, TWS, ACM modes with the JHMCS, EWR, countermeasures.

For A/G though you won't get far, it has a cannon, dumb bombs, dumb cluster munitions, unguided rockets, and a basic implementation of the litening pod with laser bombs but no A/G radar, no AGM missiles and just isn't complete as of now.

On top of that lots of funtions and pages don't work, I'd say more than half at least don't work.

The FM seems fine to me.

Here's something too:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

So in the end buy the f16 if you want, it is of really good quality right now but barebones, I know that in the future I would prefer much more a feature rich plane such as the jf17 was at launch but it's your choice, either you get it now, either when it's finally finished

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

about 1/3 to 1/2 of the DED menus available

Make that 1/4 or 1/5.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi

Early access can be a long process, for those that have chosen early access we are grateful for the support and for the reports being made here on the forum, it helps development a lot.

As new features are added we will be updating the mini updates post

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=244404&page=5

Planned systems and features can be found here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

Thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am running DCS World Stable 2.5.6.49798 and I was thinking of buying the F-16 Module. Before I do so I wanted to get a feeling for how "complete" the F-16 is as of now. I have looked at the DCS World Stable 2.5.6.49798 Changelog and I see many updates to the F-16 Module. Are the basic flight, weapons, and operational characteristics more or less in place now? Damage models, etc? Major weapon and sensor systems? Thank you in advance for any feedback. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

No idea how far along stable is, but my thoughts on beta.

Its airshow ready depending on how much actual detail you want IMO. People have reported various issues with the FM and more importantly G-tolerance issues.

Some of the A/A modes are done(ish) (BVR), others not so much (Dgft modes). But yes you can yeet missiles with it.

A/G is pretty barebones, GBU's work with the TPOD though I think in stable you are stuck with the old WP system for the TGP which isn't how it actually works. CBU's sort-of work (at least as well as any CBU's in DCS which is to say, not modeled well), as do dumb bombs. Its currently missing all of its standoff weapons, and then various specialty delivery modes like toss/loft bombing. Two cent answer, its pretty useless for A/G currently compared to where it should be when its done.

DED pages/functionality, most are missing as others have noted.

Damage modeling... Very very basic. I mean there is no point to using the Cat3 stores limiter since no damage occurs due to stores overloading. And I have yet to see an F16 survive any sort of battle damage. Its either 1=you're alive or 0=you dead... But its far from the only DCS plane to suffer from that dichotomy.

Even really basic things like cockpit lighting and MFD brightness only "half work". I actually had a moment of clarity on how bad this was the other day when I took off with an F16 at dawn, I realized that the MFD's had "colors" beyond red and green for some of the symbology that are very clearly not discernable during day-lighting.

EW/Sensors. Mostly missing as well, no Harm targeting sensor or HARM, The TGP is missing modes, no EW modeling, though you do get DCS level chaff and flares at least.

At best, I'd say its 20-25% done currently. And its more or less on the back burner for the F18, which I half agree with given that it came first so it should probably get a bit more priority. And owning both, I'd say go for the F18 if you want a more complete module, even though the F18 still has a ways to go.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Considering the F16 is pretty much in the same spot it was 6 months ago you have to ask yourself is it worth it to you. It is a blast to fly and for A/A stuff I find it better than the f18 by a long shot. The startup sequence is actually more akin to the real thing than the f18 is. It seems like at this point until something major comes along that the f16 is stalled out in the development process. No stand off weapons. TGP moving your STPT around with no Cursor Zero to reset it can make for some frustrating situations. Finding targets with the TGP and dropping a GBU on them is easy to do and works very well. However just like the hornet there is no real HUD symbology for where the TGP is looking. The hornet you can see it if you TDC depress on something then slew it from there at least.

Obviously that's an individual decision but here's my take on it as someone who bought the Viper for 50% off (and only uses Beta):

It's not worth full price right now unless you just have an emotional attachment to the idea of a study level Viper in DCS for some reason (like I do for the Eagle...).

The air-to-air is mostly feature complete, but there are plenty of bugs and inaccuracies within those features that will take months to get fixed. Air to ground is mostly feature incomplete and all you can really do is basic TPOD and LGB functions, but those have some bugs, too.

Most other functionality like navigation, damage model, and DTC features are missing and will be for a long, long time.

I agree with the poster above who said the FM seems mostly fine.

Edited by Jester2138

You could see the JF17 a substitute if you can make that work for you in your mind. If youre just up to buy a fly-by-wire jet. But the JF has other weapon systems you might need to learn, but that knowledge is hardly applicable on any of the US aircraft if you plan to purchase the F16 anyway.

The F18 is the most complete fly-by-wire US jet for DCS right now. The F16 is already pretty useable for Air to Air missions, but mostly for beyond visual range missions. In dogfights you cant fly it, like supposed to, because the G model makes you black out too early, to pull the turn tate it was built to pull. Also you can't point the nose quick enough, because the the G onset is too slow. Also the helmet mounted cueing system got bugged. It worked fine some versions before.

If you want to think long term. Get the F18 (or if you already have it, stick with it) learn the systems. In a later point in time, when the most annoying bugs in the F16 are fixed, get it, and transition with the knowledge you acquired in the F18 to the F16.

And like it was already said, if you are emotionally attached to the F16 get it now, support the EDs developers, fly it now and then, and imagine how cool she will be, once the F16 is completed. Because especially in vR it already feels awesome sitting in that rocketship with bubble canopy.

Edited by darkman222

short and sweet. if you want to support the ED team, buy it knowing full well you are buying a WIP product and helping with fixing bugs by reporting them in the forums. we all should be thankful any of this works at all. its amazing.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I was hesitant to buy it due to reports of the flight model not being what people expected, incomplete systems, etc.. I impulsively bought it on a whim yesterday and am glad I did now that I’ve spent some time in it.

I think it’s a blast to fly. It’s certainly got enough weapons to play around with for now, and the flight model is just fine IMHO.

I just really like it. YMMV but I’d say give it shot at $40. You’ll probably like it too, and also be supporting it’s development.