AV8B Harrier 2 weapons missing

pappachuck

According to the USMC the Harries can operate the AGM-88 and AGM-84, they also can use a older missile the AGM-119 "Penguin".

They would be of easy implementation since they are already in game with the exception of the AGM-119.

The link below refers to the official USMC AV-8B HarrierII manual:

https://www.marines.mil/News/Publications/MCPEL/Electronic-Library-Display/Article/1838570/navmc-350051c-wch1/

Edit#1:

AGM-88

New source:

Page 81

Nordeen, Lon O. (2006). Harrier II, Validating V/STOL. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-59114-536-8.

Page 30

Wilson, Stewart (2000). BAe / McDonnell Douglas Harrier. Shrewsbury, UK: Airlife Publishing. ISBN 1-84037-218-4.

Could not find the AGM-119 "Penguin" reference but I remember I had it in a book. Harrier does have ASM capability

Harrier have the capability of firing a weapon does not mean it has been used.

OBS.: we have the Mark-77 bombs

Sea eagle being tested

3771-c95615846cff9ba4acef7ecda4399a71.jpg

Edited by pappachuck
adding sources

Does it refer which variant is capable of carrying them?

The 'plus' or the 'N/A'

I can't find any pictures of it carrying any of those three.

Would ne nice to have them on the jet.

But I am not that super-restrictive-guy anyway.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

The plus version can carry the AGM-88 and pretty much has the same radar as the F-18. However the N/A version has the ability to carry AGM-84 and the AGM-119.

Harrier can even deploy JSOWs and the plus version can use AIM-120s.

It is hard to find material but some forces apply the AGM-119 as Anti ship weapon.

example:

Royal Australian Navy

https://themarshall.fandom.com/wiki/Royal_Australian_Navy_Fleet_Air_Arm

Please check your sources.

1. The USMC source you refer to says nothing about the AV-8B carrying any of these weapons. AGM-88 is mentioned once in the document, and that's in the table describing firing range requirements.

2. Regarding link #2: I don't know what kind of fantasy land the author of that article lives in, but it is pure imagination. The RAN has never operated any type of Harrier.

The plus version can carry the AGM-88 and pretty much has the same radar as the F-18. However the N/A version has the ability to carry AGM-84 and the AGM-119.

Harrier can even deploy JSOWs and the plus version can use AIM-120s.

It is hard to find material but some forces apply the AGM-119 as Anti ship weapon.

example:

Royal Australian Navy

https://themarshall.fandom.com/wiki/Royal_Australian_Navy_Fleet_Air_Arm

This wiki website you linked describes itself as follows:

Welcome to The Marshall Wiki

This is the Alternate History Wikia site of Chris Marshall.

https://themarshall.fandom.com/wiki/Marshall_Wiki

:doh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

According to the USMC the Harries can operate the AGM-88 and AGM-84, they also can use a older missile the AGM-119 "Penguin".

They would be of easy implementation since they are already in game with the exception of the AGM-119.

The link below refers to the official USMC AV-8B HarrierII manual:

https://www.marines.mil/News/Publications/MCPEL/Electronic-Library-Display/Article/1838570/navmc-350051c-wch1/

Maybe I'm blind but where does it say anything about the AGM-84 or AGM-119 in this document? :huh:

The AGM-88 is just being mentioned as an example for an ARM missile in the appendix that lists different categories of live fire shooting ranges and which type of weapon can be used on what type of range (page B-4). It doesn't say anywhere that it is a weapon in use with the Harrier. By that logic the Harrier would also be capable of launching Hellfires and TOWs as they are mentioned there in the same regard...

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Pappachuck, UK Sea Harriers are not USMC Harrier II NAs. What capabilities they had, didn't have, or were tested with, is irrelevant. Likewise with a Harrier II Plus. A distinction must be made as the capabilities vary quite a lot. Another relevant point is 'year model' or software package. An initial Harrier II NA is likely to have different capabilities compared one with more modern upgrades.

I have not looked up your sources yet, just rules of thumb to keep in mind. ''Harrier II'' covers a very wiiiide range, and not every source is applicable to all Harriers, even if it IS applicable to one.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah OP totally pooched it. USMC harriers don't use the AGM-88, and AFAIK the US military never used the penguin.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Harrier2 is a joint project between UK and US and even thought the USMC or the UK use different weapons their planes can employ all those weapons listed.

As I said just because it can use certain weapons does not mean it gonna be used.

We need to expand the Harrier 2 beyond the USMC its dumb having only USMC harriers

The Harrier2 is a joint project between UK and US and even thought the USMC or the UK use different weapons their planes can employ all those weapons listed.

As I said just because it can use certain weapons does not mean it gonna be used.

We need to expand the Harrier 2 beyond the USMC its dumb having only USMC harriers

If we want to use the wiki for details on aircraft:

"AV-8B Harrier II Plus

Similar to the Night Attack variant, with the addition of an APG-65 radar and separate targeting pod. It is used by the USMC, Spanish Navy, and Italian Navy. Forty-six were built."

Similar to the Night attack variant. Not the same.

So the Spanish weapon systems are part of the AV-8B+, not the AV-8B-2 N/A we have.

The British operate GR-x model harriers which are, as the wiki says, "derived from the McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II." so again, different to the AV-8B-2 N/A we have.

Edited by CAPT_Kirkpatrick

• 1 month later...

It's dumb that my base model Honda Civic doesn't have a turbo. It's dumb that Honda sold me a base model Honda Civic and doesn't give me the same things as the Si.

Different planes, different systems, different nation, different weapons. It's not because it shares the same name that it is the same aircraft. The AV-8B+ has a lot of differences in system to our N/A for example. Razbam is supposed to give us the closest UK Harrier to our N/A, the GR-7, but there are still notable differences: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187214