Bodnar Cards and Lost Bindings

Fusedspine33

I seem to have misunderstood the benefits or implementation of Leo Bodnar Cards. The cards are supposed to be individually serialized and do have distinct identifiers at the top of their columns in DCS when assigning controls. Yet out of the blue this week my control assignments are definitely not as previous set. ie: lamp test has become AMPCD OSB 11. That's just an example as all of them have been scrambled.

I have 4 BBI-64, 4-BU0836x, MFG pedals, Virpil Joystick w/ TM F-18 and Virpil Throttle, and 2 Arduino Mega.

Game avionics and controls are unchecked in setup.

Synchronization of HOTAS is checked.

I save my assignments under a personal file name.

Why are the control assignments being lost and how can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had that issue however I use RSMapper for everything.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Thanks for the response.

How many Bodnar cards are you interfacing with?

It is a shame to need a third party for this solution. Fingers crossed July 15 brings solutions to nagging quality of life issues for pit builders, fuzzy viewports, lost key binds, support for frequently used commercial interface solutions (Bodnar, Phidgets, etc)

I've had 3, currently running 2 (in between cockpit builds)

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

try flashing your boards with a custom named firmware http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=5 in my case now I have

BBI-64-1, BBI-64-2, BBI-64-3, BBI-64-4

Thanks for this, but maybe it's just me - I saw no option during that process to rename, just you choose the bin file with numbers 1 to 6, and that allocates the suffix 1 to 6 plus the six character alphanumerical serial number. I have 8 boards so presumably can't rename 2 of them without repeating the suffix and still have to rely on the serial number

Cheers

Les

So I am running 4x BU036X, 2x BBI-64, 1x BBI-32, TRP, Winwing Throttle, Winwing Stick, 1x TM MFD, an extra keyboard dedicated to my F-18 pit, and a tablet for VRKneeboard. All of these are going through 2x 10 port USB HUBs. When my pit is not in use, the HUBs are un-plugged from my PC and the pit is stored out of the way of my desk.

Every so often, like once a month, 1 or 2 of the Leo Bodnar boards will "loose" keybindings. What I see is, they have not so much as lost the bindings but the bindings are crossed between the boards, like my BU036X that is bound to my UFC will now be bound to my right back BU036X which controls cockpit lighting/INS/RDR/TPOD, etc.

What I learned is all I have to do is just plug the USB HUBs and plug them back in, and the loss of my keybindings is fixed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

So I am running 4x BU036X, 2x BBI-64, 1x BBI-32, TRP, Winwing Throttle, Winwing Stick, 1x TM MFD, an extra keyboard dedicated to my F-18 pit, and a tablet for VRKneeboard. All of these are going through 2x 10 port USB HUBs. When my pit is not in use, the HUBs are un-plugged from my PC and the pit is stored out of the way of my desk.

Every so often, like once a month, 1 or 2 of the Leo Bodnar boards will "loose" keybindings. What I see is, they have not so much as lost the bindings but the bindings are crossed between the boards, like my BU036X that is bound to my UFC will now be bound to my right back BU036X which controls cockpit lighting/INS/RDR/TPOD, etc.

What I learned is all I have to do is just plug the USB HUBs and plug them back in, and the loss of my keybindings is fixed.

Interesting. I have started the process of learning RSMapper are you using it as well?

I have looked at some posts elsewhere related to the Bodnar boards becoming scrambled for users in other programs. It seems the culprit may be that DCS and RSMapper use the (Windows??) Device ID and not the Unique USB serial number that Bodnar uses to make them individually identifiable cards.

I am somewhat confused by the loss/scrambling of bindings as it does not effect the Virpil joystick or throttle or the mfg rudder pedals.

I have spent some time trying to figure out where the Device ID shown in both DCS and RSMapper comes from. I found a program called USBDeview which details quite a bit of info on connected USB devices but no info called Device ID and I have had no luck finding it in Windows device manager. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Edited by Fusedspine33

Missed a couple posts. Thank you to everyone that responded. I will have a go at trying to rename the boards. I did flash them all when new but they don't show up as 1, 2, 3, 4. They all do have different serial numbers after flashing and are recognized by the Bodnar encoder software individually.

The directions could definitely be better from Bodnar. For the BU0836x the directions steer you to a certain firmware for flashing based on date of manufacture, with the renaming files being older.

The author of RSMapper provided some insight. His software references the same number as DCS. Those numbers are generated by Direct X and seem to be assigned when devices are connected to the PC and potentially shuffled when new devices are added, plugged/unplugged, loss of power. Ugh.

I was able to download a piece of software called USBDeview. Out of all the devices attached to my pc, 8-Bodnar cards, 2 - Arduino, Virpil stick and throttle, MFG rudder, jetseat, keyboard, mouse, only the Bodnar cards have a USB serial number.

It would be good to understand why using RSMapper would help with this, as it may help explain why it's happening at all. If you are OK with it, would you be able to share how you set it up (if nothing else, it would be good to have a better understanding of RSMapper) and then we can take a look at what is going on

Cheers

Les

It would be good to understand why using RSMapper would help with this, as it may help explain why it's happening at all. If you are OK with it, would you be able to share how you set it up (if nothing else, it would be good to have a better understanding of RSMapper) and then we can take a look at what is going on

Cheers

Les

There is a decent video in the RSMapper thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205492

I Would like to keep this thread on point for documenting how to help folks in the future with Bodnar cards.

We are definitely the exception as hardcore users by having numerous Bodnar cards.

Off to re-flash the Bodnar cards. (Sigh)

Thanks again to everyone for their pointers. I flashed all the cards with the Bodnar renaming firmware. Hopefully that solves he issue permanently. It would be nice if Bodnar did a better job explaining the firmware with a readme in the .zip files.

• 3 years later...