I-16 in DCS vs. IL2 Sturmovik

Doc3908

A little background: I used to play the original IL2, then Forgotten Battles, and 1946, but eventually stopped playing flight sims - until this past January when I picked up DCS. The first DCS module I bought was the I-16 - my favorite plane from the old IL2 days. Well, the DCS I-16 was nothing at all like I remembered the IL2 version. Took me a while to get used to her - taking off in a straight line, landing without wings touching, raising and lowering the landing gear, and yes, that constant back pressure on the stick to keep her straight and level. Within 2-3 weeks she was my favorite WW2 warbird in DCS - and still is. I fly her more than the Spitfire, the Bf109, and the two FWs combined.

A couple of days ago, on a whim, I picked up the new IL2 Great Battles. Of course the first thing I had to try was my old sweetheart - the I-16...

Well... After getting used to the DCS I-16, the IL2 version was a big let-down for me. In fact, most of IL2 is. The I-16 in IL2 flies like it's on rails - completely hands off once you trim it. The feeling of flight is not there. Not to mention the flight characteristics - I can chase down an Bf-109E7 in my dinky little I-16 within a couple of minutes. The stalls are weird, the acceleration/deceleration is off. The wheels go up and down with a button click. The flaps are either up or down - no fine control like the DCS version. Overall, IL2 feels like a game, whereas DCS feels like a simulator - like the real thing (not that I know what a real I-16 feels like). The one thing the IL2 game has going for it is the AI: In DCS, it feel like I'm fighting alien invaders in their spaceships. In IL2, the AI is a bit more "skilled", though still very predictable.

Overall, I'm not sorry I got the new IL2 - it's a fun game that I'll enjoy every now and then. But DCS is my primary simulator now - everything (except the AI) is done superbly and feels like flying in real life.

I don't mean to offend any IL2 fans - everyone has their preferences. I'm just sharing my personal experience flying the I-16 in both sims.

Cheers,

Doc

It's fine. Glad to hear it! Imo, both DCS and GB complement each other really well. DCS has the simulator element that is currently unbeatable, and when you start working together with others using Simple Radio Standalone (program that allows you to use your aircrafts radio equipment as comms, and will work correctly according to that piece of equipment your plane has), DCS can really start to feel amazing.

IL-2 might not have that simulation, but it has that cohesiveness of the planesets, the MP base, and the ease of playstyle that make it great for quick and easy action that would take more effort in DCS.

Imo, I like both games right where they are now, because of how well they fill in the gaps where the other lacks. Though, I would like DCS to get a more cohesive map/planeset. Would be awesome to have a Rheinland map going all the way to Berlin, and the Channel map be more oriented for a BoB planeset, which Nick G really wants to see, and me as well.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, probably banned thread since we aren't supposed to talk about other so called "sims". Still, glad you saw the light cause you nailed your description :D :thumbup: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yep, probably banned thread since we aren't supposed to talk about other so called "sims". Still, glad you saw the light cause you nailed your description :D :thumbup: .

S!

My apologies. I was just sharing my admiration for DCS World. Moderators, please delete this thread.

It's really not a knock against other sims, it's the tradeoff between volune of planes vs one plane done to a high degree of detail.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2