Pimax 8Kx vs Reverb G2 vs Valve Index

Notso

I'm currently interested in upgrading my Reverb G1 to something better. I like it, I have no real issues with it but it just seems like it could be better.

So given a no holds barred, cost not object (well to a point or else I'd be buying the XTAL) - which of the three top tier headsets would be best for DCS? A lot of gaming websites say its the Index, but I suspect that's based on games like Alyx and such and not an intense Flight sim like DCS. The Pimax on paper looks better in all respects to the Reverb G2, but it seems to have such a poor reputation from it's early offerings that I'm just a bit gunshy to be an early adopter of the 8KX. But it looks amazing if it works. Has PIMAX fixed their QC and their customer service issues since their early days?

That leaves me again with the Reverb G2. At least if it's better than the Gen 1 - I can trust that it will be a good headset. But the G2 doesn't seem like a quantum leap up and rather more of fixing some of the issues the G1 was weak on.

Thoughts?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I own a Pimax 5K. I've never had an issue with the headset itself. The cable that came with mine is another story. I have the snow issue. The problem I have is that I waited to long to ask for a new one and they want 70 dollars US for it. Now after telling them I thought that was "ahem" a little much, they did come down to 40 US. Not bad.

The software has improved over time and most of their responses are within a few days. A person has to of course keep in mind that they are on the opposite side of the planet so good enough.

The whole thing for me is FOV. I want a Reverb G2 for the clarity because I don't think the 8K will have it, but dam that 200 degrees of awesomeness that Pimax offers is a bugger to give up.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I own a Pimax 5K. I've never had an issue with the headset itself. The cable that came with mine is another story. I have the snow issue. The problem I have is that I waited to long to ask for a new one and they want 70 dollars US for it. Now after telling them I thought that was "ahem" a little much, they did come down to 40 US. Not bad.

The software has improved over time and most of their responses are within a few days. A person has to of course keep in mind that they are on the opposite side of the planet so good enough.

The whole thing for me is FOV. I want a Reverb G2 for the clarity because I don't think the 8K will have it, but dam that 200 degrees of awesomeness that Pimax offers is a bugger to give up.

Thanks for the response. That's interesting about your comment regarding the Reverb clarity vs the 8KX. *On paper* the 8K should be at least as good or better. It says 4K native resolution and the resolution number per eye of the PIMAX are better. But "on paper" sometimes is just that.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

The Reverb G2 is basically what the G1 should’ve been, it is supposed to have superior screen and color fidelity as well as audio. It is supposed to have the best clarity if that is what you want.

The Pimax 8KX offers a brand new take on VR which could be huge if done right, which is eye tracking with dynamic foveated rendering—supposed to increased frame rate by up to 50%. No other headsets can do this since constant eye tracking is required. There is fixed foveated rendering on NVIDIA setting but it doesn’t work that well since the moment you glance to the side you can see the lower resolution of the periphery. Pimax doesn’t have the greatest reputation when it comes to support, so they do have to step up in this area.

For me the Index resolution is good enough, but what I’m still not happy about VR is the framerate. An ideal VR solution for me would be something that would allow me to play without requiring ASW, since seeing split image artifacts or stuttering when playing can be quite jarring.

Since those two headsets are coming out soon it might be better to wait for reviews from YouTube or VR websites before taking the plunge.

EDIT:

Valve’s support For the Index is stellar. My kid has been playing VR games on the Index day in day out and the left controller thumbstick had developed a drift. One short email to Valve and they just shipped a brand new controller to me (received in 3 days). I did have to send my old one back once I received the new one.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I wouldn't go anywhere near Pimax. My 5k headset was terrible and they still haven't delivered a base station that I paid for during the Kickstarter.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

US based companies typically have much better support and turnover time, as this helps minimize lawsuits from freedom-loving entitled American customers.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

IMO after purchasing the Index and returning it, it's the most over-rated VR headset out there. Easily lost out to my modified Vive Pro with Odyssey+ OLED panels and Gear lenses.

As a 8KX backer, I have one coming in July with the foveated rendering add-on. I also have the G2 Reverb on pre-order. So I will be battling these two against my modified Vive Pro.

I think the low 75 Hz of the 8KX may bother me; IMO I would say the G2 Reverb may have a slight lead based off of specs for my usage.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I wouldn't go anywhere near Pimax. My 5k headset was terrible and they still haven't delivered a base station that I paid for during the Kickstarter.

My headset and controllers never got delivered either but I submitted a support ticket to Pimax and received my full refund in 5 days.

Don't fail to let them know when you have a problem, Pimax support has always solved any issues I've had in quickly and efficiently. Lots of complaining about them but too often the buyer doesn't ask for a solution.

IMO after purchasing the Index and returning it, it's the most over-rated VR headset out there. Easily lost out to my modified Vive Pro with Odyssey+ OLED panels and Gear lenses.

As a 8KX backer, I have one coming in July with the foveated rendering add-on. I also have the G2 Reverb on pre-order. So I will be battling these two against my modified Vive Pro.

I think the low 75 Hz of the 8KX may bother me; IMO I would say the G2 Reverb may have a slight lead based off of specs for my usage.

PIMAX is working on a 120hz option for the 8kx. So far they have 118hz working in inhouse tests.

G2 seems perfect until you get to the FOV but saying that i think we are a few generations away from not having to compromise and considering what the higher FOV and refresh rate headsets cost its probably the best all around pick imo.

PIMAX is working on a 120hz option for the 8kx. So far they have 118hz working in inhouse tests.

Ya but at what resolution? Up-scaling can look very bad.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Yeah but good luck trying to push that refresh rate in DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I liked the FOV, comfort, and vastly better software (no klutzing about with WMR), but I agree it's pretty overrated, at least at that price. If it was $600 it'd be a contender, but my original $300 Odyssey is 90% of the experience (and in black levels, 110% of the experience) for 1/3 the price.

Definitely looking at the G2 Reverb, especially if Nvidia releases the 3000 series cards around that same time. Even a 2080 Ti isn't quite enough to drive a Reverb.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Definitely looking at the G2 Reverb, especially if Nvidia releases the 3000 series cards around that same time. Even a 2080 Ti isn't quite enough to drive a Reverb.

How so? My 2080Ti is running my current one just fine with DCS setting mostly all high and MSAA x2.

How so? My 2080Ti is running my current one just fine with DCS setting mostly all high and MSAA x2.

Sorry, I should have been more specific: at 90 FPS in multiplayer. I only play MP (WWII), and constant drops below 90 I find very annoying. Fixing it at 45 helps to some degree, but there are times the engine struggles to even keep that when it gets busy.

I've switched to 95% IL2 these days, either Combat Box or the WWI campaign server I can't remember how to spell. I like the effort and detail that's gone into some of the WWII commercial campaigns for DCS, but flying warbirds against the AI is supremely frustrating with the current state of AI and damage model. DCS rules all in visuals, and I'm always struck by how beautiful and realistic the world looks from a P-51 pit in VR, but actually playing it in MP is too frustrating at today's state of the art. IL2 keeps 90 FPS at virtually all times (a 10 person furball low over a city can drop into the 70's), and it's hard to go back to DCS after the visual wow factor wears off.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Sorry, I should have been more specific: at 90 FPS in multiplayer. I only play MP (WWII), and constant drops below 90 I find very annoying. Fixing it at 45 helps to some degree, but there are times the engine struggles to even keep that when it gets busy.

I've switched to 95% IL2 these days, either Combat Box or the WWI campaign server I can't remember how to spell. I like the effort and detail that's gone into some of the WWII commercial campaigns for DCS, but flying warbirds against the AI is supremely frustrating with the current state of AI and damage model. DCS rules all in visuals, and I'm always struck by how beautiful and realistic the world looks from a P-51 pit in VR, but actually playing it in MP is too frustrating at today's state of the art. IL2 keeps 90 FPS at virtually all times (a 10 person furball low over a city can drop into the 70's), and it's hard to go back to DCS after the visual wow factor wears off.

Ah, fair enough.

Totally irrelevant to DCS. You will never push much past 30-40fps in DCS.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What actual frame rate. I've mostly settled on 45 is about all she's gonna give I use moderately high settings, but still even with really low settings I don't hit 90. I'd love to see 90 in DCS like I do in everything else, but I don't.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What actual frame rate. I've mostly settled on 45 is about all she's gonna give I use moderately high settings, but still even with really low settings I don't hit 90. I'd love to see 90 in DCS like I do in everything else, but I don't.

I'm curious as well. There's no way I'm getting 90fps with my rig.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Difference ?

~$1800+ vs. $1000 vs $600

And performance wise

Worst, ok, decent :megalol:

Ive preordered the G2 from the UK Reseller. Expected Sept.

I get my 8KX next thursday.

I'm really interested in your results from the 8KX. I've held off on ordering simply because I want to ensure the resolution is a definite upgrade.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Ive preordered the G2 from the UK Reseller. Expected Sept.

I get my 8KX next thursday.

Yeah please post a review of the KX. Especially if you gave a gen1 reverb too.