Let's Build A Mission

Hello Everyone! I have started a series to help people who are interested in the mission editor but don't understand how to use it. It will be very large combat/training area that will be developed with a little bit of EVERYTHING by the time it's done. Hopefully, if all goes well by the end of the series you will feel more than comfortable building and designing your own missions or campaigns from the ground up. I hope you all enjoy this!!

Edited by Pac-Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff :thumbup:

Cheers :beer:

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Very useful streamlining what I was doing trying to make a realistic environment for what starts out as a simple fighter mission with some other stuff going on around it. Might be fairly straightforward to detail a relatively isolated battlefield scenario on the Gulf map but the Caucasus are a whole different ball game where even if you say the Russian economy is so bad there's only a trickle of equipment updates and vastly reduced unit strength you're still talking about one of the most heavily fortified regions of the cold war, an area so disconcerting to NATO that even at the low point of Russian military strength in the 90s and height of black market arms trade throughout the region the big concern was southern district local commanders effectively comprising a rogue state in precisely the scenario of a Tom Clancy novel. And I don't know exactly what the deal is but some local commanders both army and navy have a serious hard on for the Tblisi government, in fact referring to them as the Tblisi government, certainly not the Georgian government illegitimizing the very state, meanwhile Moscow handed over Vaziani airbase whilst the military district still occupies Batumi army base and regards that sovereign territory, no wonder NATO rejected the Tblisi application, throw Abkhazia and South Ossetia into all this and the place is an out and out can of worms.

At its simplest, air operations in Georgia seeking to avoid nuclear escalation between parent nations and allies still face some conditions created during the height of the cold war, such as the almost suicidal prospect of crossing the mountains into Russian airspace with anything shy of several hundreds of warplanes. In the modern environment you'd be better off on the Ukrainian approach which they'd have been up for but then Moscow blocked that with its rook move in the Crimea, probably for the exact reason.

In mission construction I try to recreate that knife edge sense of terror for fighter operations in Georgia, whilst the mud slingers have it a little easier with a more confined combat environment, but whose complexities are nevertheless as layered as the skin of an onion with CAS having to wear the hats of force interdiction of support units and SEAD with the ever constant threat of having to contend with interceptors which may come over those mountains at the drop of a politically justified hat mid mission. "Oh there was a Russian peacekeeper unit from the 554th marines of the BSF with the Abkhazian incursion? Our bad so that's why the MiGs came over the mountains and shot down our CAS."

Okay so you can just imagine the map population of both static clutter and active AI units I'm laying out there and keep in mind this all started out as a simple fighter mission, haven't even started populating the conditions for that, this is just the setup. But also some client options of doing some CAS, insertion/combat support, SEAD and force interdiction with choppers and attack aircraft given that all has to be going on anyway to justify the fighter operations, my main focus of the mission. Why do anything by halves? The setup is Abkhazian incursion at Zugdidi followed by conventional escalation of Russian occupation at Senaki and Poti with a fictional NATO partner intervention, keeping in mind a Russian army base at Batumi and an airbase in Armenia, along with the no fly zone along the Caucasus border, an EWR and home defence fortification of the overkill variety specifically aimed at a NATO pincer arm through Turkey, as it always was upon the strategy of defence in depth in those Soviet days through to now.

For the fighter units themselves I'm trying to recreate that cold war generated sense of extreme tenuous footing operating close to that Russian border along the Caucasus, since let's face it, the cold war might be over but its themes very much prevail in this region.

Picture this: it's 1983, the world could explode into nuclear holocaust at any moment, with both sides trying to maintain their territorial interests whilst both avoiding that scenario yet necessarily threatening just such escalation. At the tactical side you have ridiculously reinforced defence networks tasked with at least reducing the total number of delivery systems, useful also for prohibiting conventional penetrations and a national security environment which necessitates a totalitarian state which stretches across provincial regions into satellites, but some of these provinces like Georgia and Ukraine are inherently dissatisfied by a long history of disparaging service/support ratio with the centralised government. Local sentiments reminisce historical ancestry of independent empires, long before Moscow fought off Muslim dominance to create the Russian state Ukraine was a Viking colony taking control of the ancient Greek trade ports, agriculturally developing the interior in true Nordic fashion, whilst Georgia was a lot like feudal Romania/Hungary. These are proud traditions entirely dismissed by the Tsars and their secret police and furthered, not improved by Soviet control. Yes if KGB in Soviet era makes you apprehensive you haven't even read of the Tsarist royal security force upon which it is essentially based and entirely more polite.

Now you, the American spy Colonel Gant in a Firefox scenario are inserted into Georgia and the entire political environment is oppressive, a Soviet border territory with the looming bear just across the mountain peaks, the intrusive glances of plain clothes KGB agents at every hotel you stay, Soviet collaborators at every tavern you dine at watching your every move, the outsider, a latent sense of both rebellious independence and totalitarian enforcement hanging in the air of every shop you enter or marketplace you browse, the outsider in a place where everyone is an outsider within their own homes. Remarkably you blend in but the threat is overwhelming.

Fast forward to the post Soviet and the main thing that really changed is the veil removed and the KGB left, the political situation isn't really that much different. For one thing the threat, across those mountains is just the same.

So you, now the NATO peacekeeping force in post Soviet Georgia flying fighter cover for ground support operations preserving Tblisi control of its sovereign territory, aside Abkhazian and Ossetian secession but predictable incursions from those regions whilst those matters are reviewed by the international courts as opposed to Russian determination (personally I'm apolitical on this, talking entirely about fictional mission scenario).

Let's say you're Spanish Hornets to avoid the controversy of US forces operating so close to the Russian border proper. You do not want to cross those mountains into Russian airspace no matter what the circumstances, even if it means taking down Russian MiGs coming from those very mountains to intercept CAS supporting defending Georgian ground forces against Abkhazians sporting old Soviet surplus somebody gave them the warehouse access keys to, not mentioning any names.

Fighters range in combat, which can take them far from the green zone and on this particular map that's gotta be a terrifying prospect for those pilots and I'm also trying to recreate that sense of dread in the cockpit, which hopefully might give a distracting immersion but adds many more dimensions to an already entirely overpopulated map a good computer would have trouble numbers crunching without a significant fps decrease. A simple fighter mission on the NATO side in Georgia isn't so simple, one wrong move and a couple of MiGs turns into a home defence escalation at full conventional capabilities already massed on the border the way a Great White shark identifies objects with its mouth, a place you just don't stick your hand.

So, what I'm trying to say is these tutorials are giving me ideas about streamlining my tendency to overpopulate, without compromising the atmosphere I'm trying to create, in the simplest manner and oh boy did I need it.

It's soooo easy to do with this simulator though. I think that is really awesome! I love hearing all the different ways creators use the Mission Editor for DCS. Really awesome! I'd love a copy of yours if you're willing! Sounds awesome!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

• 8 months later...

Thank you for these,  I'm going to need much more study it seems...    I watched the first few videos and decided that my goal was to make a single training mission that I could use all the modules I purchased and practice with them (A-10C II, F16, F14, f/A18, AV8B, CA, SC, etc).

I decided to start simple,  An F14 on Caucasus at Batumi, a Carrier off the coast and a KC135 out basically flying over the carrier.   But my first attempt the game crashed when I tried to load the mission, so I've gone horribly wrong somewhere...   Going to have to look at this like a masters course 🙂     Anyway just wanted to say thank you for doing this series for folks like me.   If you know of a mission I can download that would kinda be what I'm aiming to do, I'd like to look at it in M.E. to see how it was done and figure out what horrible mistake I'm making.