Best training jet?

I'm a complete Noob to DCS and have immediately jumped in head first with the F16, A10, FA/18 which over time I can now take off and land, with varying degrees of success. But what I really should've done is started with a simpler jet and learnt the ropes that way. The modules I own are so complicated that I need to go back to the beginning to learn navigation, weapon systems etc...

Any advice on the best jet for beginners, something like F-5E or the L-39 or C101?

Thanks

Those you have are fairly easy planes to take off and land. By "simpler" meaning less complex system, then low fidelity planes are obviously the better choice. Included Su-25T doesn't have alot to learn as far as systems go. But it can be a chore to handle for beginner. So get FC3 planes and try F15C or Su-27.

I bought the spitfire and trying to take off in that is a real challenge, constantly battling it rotating! Thanks for the advice.

Props, and ESPECIALLY tail-draggers, are an entirely different beast due to the torque. The Yak seems to be the resident DCS prop trainer, though I can't speak to the training included in that one as I don't own it. I do have most of the WW2 modules though and I've found the Spit to be very difficult to handle on the ground. That seems to be an accurate representation of the real thing though.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Props, and ESPECIALLY tail-draggers, are an entirely different beast due to the torque. The Yak seems to be the resident DCS prop trainer, though I can't speak to the training included in that one as I don't own it. I do have most of the WW2 modules though and I've found the Spit to be very difficult to handle on the ground. That seems to be an accurate representation of the real thing though.

I'm lucky enough to live next to RAF Duxford so see the real Spitfires on a daily basis.

https://imgur.com/0GlHjkI

Edited by kingkelly

I'm a beginner too. I bought the F-18, too many systems to learn to begin with. Then I bought the Spitfire, too hard to taxi and on take off. The Yak-52 is easy and rugged, but not exciting enough. Finally, the P-51D is perfect for me, a fighter plane, not too complicated and the easiest tail-dragger in DCS.

I'm a beginner too. I bought the F-18, too many systems to learn to begin with. Then I bought the Spitfire, too hard to taxi and on take off. The Yak-52 is easy and rugged, but not exciting enough. Finally, the P-51D is perfect for me, a fighter plane, not too complicated and the easiest tail-dragger in DCS.

Oh, yes - how could I forget? The free one that comes with DCS. And if I remember, it comes with a few good training missions too. The P-51 is relatively tame compared with the Spits and Messerschmitts of the world.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Don't think props would be good trainer for jets. For F/A-18 and F16's, F15C would be a good trainer since it has similar systems but don't have to press a dozen buttons to use TWS etc so you can have basic understanding of the systems quickly.

I wish ED would include F15C as free content. After all, purpose of the free content is to draw people into other modules. And ground attack Su-25T and non-combat Mustang isn't enough in my opinion. Needs a A2A fighter.

The F-5E is a good mix between trainer and fighter... faster than a trainer, but not so complex as a Hornet.

There's a freeware T-45c being made, not ready yet though.

The A-4 skyhaw is also worthy of consideration, along with the L-39, MB-339

Edited by Rick50

We play a simulation. I don't think you need a trainer at all. Both Hornet and Viper are not hard to learn. Plenty of tutorials on the net : pdf, Youtube video etc. The only thing you need is more flying time and patience.

I have F-5 and tbh is not something easy to operate. No fancy HUD, no FBW (CMIIW), and its radar is just basic. Unless you have somekind of emotional feeling toward the jet I'd stay away from it as a trainer, waste of money IMO.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Advantage of the L-39 is that its an actual training jet and the systems are simpler by comparison so you can spend more time getting comfortable with fundamentals, but yes in reality your not paying for fuel or the airframe so you are better to choose your target jet and learn the basics and then learn systems one at a time. I still for the life of me cant employ a HARM from the hornet but have been working my way through the LGB and JDAM tutorials until I am happy with them. It does mean I cant take on all missions in the hornet but I can so some things reasonably now. If you take that approach you may find it a good place to start.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I made my first steps with the ZA/L39 after reading recommendations here and I would totally agree that it’s well suited to get familiar with the basic stuff, navigation, etc.. After that I moved to the MiG21 and love it for its raw design and flight characteristics :idiot:

Darkstar: Merged

IMO, stick with the F18, then draw up a list of your priorities to learn, and slowly work your way through each, ensuring that you feel confident before moving forward.

There’s no need to rush to learn to do everything out of the box, and there’s some great guides on how to use it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

what about some of the official jet trainer? Like for example:

Lockheed T-33 from USA

Mikoyan MiG-AT from Russia

Folland Gnat from UK

I can imagine that if those are the real aircraft for training real pilots, on the simulation could also be pretty useful for beginners

P.D: I found this list, and much more on Wikipedia, just typing "Jet trainer"

Edited by BenniBraker
indicating source of the information

Don't think props would be good trainer for jets. For F/A-18 and F16's, F15C would be a good trainer since it has similar systems but don't have to press a dozen buttons to use TWS etc so you can have basic understanding of the systems quickly.

I wish ED would include F15C as free content. After all, purpose of the free content is to draw people into other modules. And ground attack Su-25T and non-combat Mustang isn't enough in my opinion. Needs a A2A fighter.

It quite literally takes one button to switch to TWS on both the Hornet and Viper.

It quite literally takes one button to switch to TWS on both the Hornet and Viper.

I knew someone was gonna take it literally and pick on it. I should've known better on sim forum. :huh:

Wasn't talking about simply switching to it. And it was an illustration of difference in complexity.

When someone starts a thread about training jet, to me it's a sign they're being overwhelmed. Simply telling them to have patience and keep studying may work for some. But is good way to lose interest for others.

For beginners, there's a lot more to learn than just the aircraft. Maneuver, Situation Awareness, Mission parameters, weapons, targeting.... it can be overwhelming.

I bought the spitfire and trying to take off in that is a real challenge, constantly battling it rotating! Thanks for the advice.

:doh:

Before you absolutely go crazy trying to learn to fly on the Spitfire, there is maybe only one other aircraft in DCS worse to learn on, which would be the Bf-109K4.

I learned on the P-51D. I would have learned on the TF-51D, but I got the P-51 on sale at the time, I it was just more fun if I actually got her into the air, that I could strafe the airfield a bit before crashing on my landing attempt :D

Anyway, that would be the simplest solution. Someone mentioned the Yak-52 actually being a trainer, but of course, there's no instructor in the back seat, so I don't think there is much of a point to it, although I may be wrong. Trainers are not made to be easy to fly. They are made to actually show the mistakes a pilot in training is making, so that the instructor cans see what he needs to work on.

The thing with learning a propeller aircraft is that you actually learn to fly an aircraft and not just point it in a direction and use the jet to power it toward where you want it to go. BTW there is so much more to propeller aircraft than just torque, as someone insinuated. That's like saying, to learn to drive a car all you have to learn is which way to turn the steering wheel.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I think the easiest jet for beginners would be the F-86F, it’s fun to fly too and not very complex to operate.

For the modern era, a good choice is the M-2000C

It’s out of early access

It’s got all the 4th gen feature such as radar and missiles to learn but they aren’t very complex

It’s got A2G capability but just simple weapons.

It’s a fun dogfighting plane, very agile and maneuverable if you like turning and burning.

Plus it’s got several good campaigns available.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I cannot believe that C-101 was mentioned only once.

If you want a trainer, the best choice in my opinion is the C-101.

You can do basic training in the C-101EB and move to the advanced (Weapons) training with the C-101CC.

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk

Edited by Sajarov

:megalol:

The trouble with trainer planes is you still have to go through all the learning and such but it’s an aircraft that just isn’t front line worthy. So there isn’t any real combat capability you get after you’ve gone though all that. Pick a first plane that you find exciting and just dive into it. Truth be told there are no “beginner” aircraft in DCS.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5