Essex Carrier and A-4 Skyhawk

Southernbear

As some may know some assets particularly Naval assets have particular spawns set, for example you can't spawn an F-14 on the Tarawa or a Su 33 on the Nimitz.

It is for this reason I ask if we will be able to spawn other fix wing aircraft on the Essex, primarily the Community A-4 Skyhawk and possibly the AV-8B

I mostly would like to spawn the Skyhawk to give some shake up to Vietnam based missions, sure, its not the carrier after it's refit to become an attack carrier but it still has the length to launch A-4s and it would be better then using an entire Nimitz to launch just a squadron or 2 of Attack planes.

+1 would be nice to get some mileage from it

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

..... but it still has the length to launch A-4s and it would be better then using an entire Nimitz to launch just a squadron or 2 of Attack planes.

I am curious as to why you believe this to be true. I would be very surprised if the A-4 could successfully deck launch even if it were empty with mere fumes in the tank, much less with any kind of useful payload. Now, if the Essex class CV that M3 LLC is building uses a realistic hydraulic catapult with a bridle system, it might just work but even that was inferior to the type used on later Essex class carriers modified with angled decks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am curious as to why you believe this to be true. I would be very surprised if the A-4 could successfully deck launch even if it were empty with mere fumes in the tank, much less with any kind of useful payload. Now, if the Essex class CV that M3 LLC is building uses a realistic hydraulic catapult with a bridle system, it might just work but even that was inferior to the type used on later Essex class carriers modified with angled decks.

Well the A-4E-C in game with full fuel and at least AGM-45 Shrikes or AIM-9s on can do a WW2 esk take off from the Nimitz with runway to spare, (could be a funky FM but whatever) I'm pretty sure I could do it even if I end up falling off the deck at the end slightly

That's interesting. You may well be right. Have you tried it off the Tarawa? Not sure if it can go fast enough though.

See thats part of the problem though and links back to my main question, :( you can't spawn fixed wing aircraft on the Tarawa (aside from the AV-8B of course) and it doesn't have any wires to even try to land on her...best I can do is measure out the 888 feet of the Essex deck on a runway and put a marker at the end of the deck Doolittle raid practice style and see if I can take off before then or not.

Ok testing it, the A-4 can take off with several load outs (AIM-9 + AGM-46 Shrike OR 2 19xHVAR HE rocket pods ect) in 800 feet using a Wind sock to mark it on the Nimitz...as the smallest actual deck size for a Essex was 844 feet it means it can operate off it, question is, will it be able to be spawned on it?

Ok testing it, the A-4 can take off with several load outs (AIM-9 + AGM-46 Shrike OR 2 19xHVAR HE rocket pods ect) in 800 feet using a Wind sock to mark it on the Nimitz...as the smallest actual deck size for a Essex was 844 feet it means it can operate off it, question is, will it be able to be spawned on it?

You can spawn any AC on any carrier you just have edit the lua file (might break IC IDK). Of course it nost likely wont work with the cats. IIRC the a4 did work with the old stennis.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 year later...

The Midway, would be nice for the Korea, and Cold War scenarios I'm sure Razor is intimately familiar with. :prop:  The Midway started with a straight deck then modified to have an angled deck, the steam catapults will handle most all jets, except maybe the Vigilante or A-3 Whale...even with a scant fuel load. The A-3's were also tankers besides VAQ later in their life span. She would be relevant up till the late 80's early 90's carrier operations.  She was commissioned in 1945, she had a compliment of F/A-18's , VFA-195, VFA-192... until she was decommissioned in 92. You can do two versions of her, straight deck and angled deck. But a good WWII carrier is definitely needed for the Pacific map.  I just hope there is a concerted effort to build a Japanese battle fleet and compliment of aircraft to fill it's deck, or we will have a very empty Pacific Ocean theater of operations. 

Hoss

Edited by BeoWolf_57

Sempre Fortis

I'm pretty certain that the A-3 flew off the Midway in both roles as a bomber as well as a tanker. So far I haven't seen anything in writing that says the A-5 flew off her but I can't immagine that there would have been any restrictions against it as far as the ship's cats and arresting gear were concerned. The Midway would be an awesome addition to the DCS World!! 👍

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Another good choice would be the Shanghai-La CVA-38.  Served in Korea, Cold War, an Vietnam eras.

• Like 1

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...