Open Mod Manager

sedenion

What is Open Mod Manager ?

Open Mod Manager is an open source and generic Mod manager.

Mod term come from Modification and refers to one or several unofficial files which are added to, or replace original editor's files of a software (usually a game) to change its behaviour, add features, components or items.

While these Mods's files can be manually installed and origina files backed by the user, Open Mod Manager provide a safe, automated and advanced environement to store, install, back and restore original files, and create Mods as encapsuled packages.

Modern package management

Cumulative installations, backup then restoration of original files are key feature, Open Mod Manager embed safe and smart automatic backup mechanism to garantish user can always and at any time restore editor's original files. Finally, as any modern package manager, Open Mod Manager support versioning and dependencies mechanisms.

Network oriented

Since most of mods are provided by users or communities, and downloaded by other, Open Mod Manager provides an open online repository mechanism allowing any community or individual to provides its encapsuled packages within public online repositories. Users can configure repositories to check for updates or new availables packages from their favorite communities.

Generic and versatile

Open Mod Manager is not focused to work with a specific game or software, it is in contrary designed to be generic, very flexible, and to adapt to the most configurations as possible and even for what was not though in the start. The configuration architecture is modular, stored as human readable XML files. Editing merging or deleting configuration modules can be as simple as - litteraly - moving subfolders from one location to another.

GitHub Repository

https://github.com/sedenion/OpenModMan

Key Features

Open Mod Mananager currently implements the following key features:

• Flexible and modular XML and folder configuration logic.
  • Multiple installation destinations per configuration context.
  • Custom folders for packages (Mods) library and backup per installation destination.
  • Support for both folders (legacy) Mods and advanced zipped Packages.
  • Smart installation and backup mechanism allowing overlapped installed files.
  • Packages installation dependencies mechanism (advanced packages).
  • Backup data compressed as zip archives to save space (optional).
  • Batch mechanism for automatic Package installation sequences.
  • Network repositories for remote packages distribution and download.
  • Automatic package dependencies download and fix system.

Screenshot

Open Mod Manager Screenshot

Download:

Open Mod Manager - Latest Release

1.2 (2023-12-17)

• Fixed bug with files size not properly computed.
  • Fixed bug with files size not properly displayed in List Views.
  • Mod-Channels are now visible and selectable in a List View instead of a Combo Box.
  • New menu bar, with new organization.
  • Contextual menu for all main window List View.
  • New prettry icons everywhere to see life in color.
  • New "Add to Library" feature accessible via button or menu to browse and select Mods to copy to the current Channel library.
  • New "Import to Library" feature accessible via button or menu to browse and select Mod-Directories to be built as Mod-Packages directly to the current Channel library.
  • Totally rewritten Mod-Package editor with new interface, a menu and toolbar, and now looks and act like an "Editor".
  • Totally rewritten Repository editor with new interface, a menu and toolbar, and now looks and act like an "Editor".
  • New "zip" archive library allowing multiple compression algorithm, including Deflate (usual Zip algorithm), LZMA, LZMA2 and Zstandard.
  • Mods installation, restoration and download now implemented as queued operations.
  • New per-Mod visual install and download progression in List View with changes in abort logic.
  • Network Repositories can now support two address/coordinate system and allow to setup custom raw URL.
  • "Installation Batches" become "Presets" (still roughly the same under the hood).
  • Presets (formerly "Batches") files are now located in a ".Presets" subfolder within Hub "home" directory.
  • New Wizard dialogs to create Hub, Channel and Repository with better helping texts.
  • You can now support me by donate via PayPal (link in About window)

Version history:

Older version history:

Spoiler

1.0 (2022-05-16)

• Includes all cumulatives changes and fixes of 0.9.9.x hotfixes, including:
  • Fix and optimize markdown rendering
  • Fix loading JPEG files may cause application to crash
  • Fix and optimized image processing
  • Fix deleting package may crash application
  • Fix Repository Package parse failing due to 'xxhsum' tag not properly handled
  • New support of paths with non-ANSI characters for ZIP file I/O
  • Fix download low performances on large files over high-speed network
  • Added bypass of access denied for network folders which access cannot be properly evaluated
  • Fixed newly created Software Context not properly selected after Wizard dialog closed
  • Fix potential memory leaks when closing software context
  • Update embedded libcurl library to version 7.83.1
  • Update embedded miniz library to version 2.2.0

0.9.9 (2022-02-19)

• Fix command shortcuts still working when main dialog is not active.
  • Fix scrolling for Overlap and Dependencies in Package Properties Dialog.
  • Fix missing dialogs for package download errors.
  • Fix Package Editor bad encoding of loaded/saved description text.
  • Fix Package Editor not detected file extension when open an existing package.
  • Fix Network Repository description never saved locally.
  • Update embedded XXhash algorithm to the 0.8.1 version.
  • Update embedded Pugixml library to the 1.12.1 version.
  • New Uninstall tree - uninstall with dependencies - feature.
  • New MD5 (md5sum) alogirthm support for repository files checksum.
  • New Category field for Packages.
  • New custom path or URL mechanism for repository files download.
  • New improved message boxes and icons.
  • New Installation Batch "Install-Only" execution mode.
  • New ability to associate description and thumbnail for dev/folder packages.
  • New improved UI with resizable frames.
  • New Markdown parsing support for package description.

0.9.8 (2022-01-04)

• Add support and automatic follow of HTTP redirect responses.
  • Fix Network ListView columns click wrongly pops up contextual menu.
  • Fix Network ListView not properly redrawn after item sorting.
  • Fix Network Abort button not properly enabled at download start.
  • Fix Package Editor not properly clear properties of modified existing package.
  • New menu and shortcut to load seleted package in Package Editor.
  • Fix not working delete repository button of Network tab.
  • Fix overly long warning messages with huge packages list.

0.9.7 (2021-07-18)

• Developer mode back as enabled by default.
  • Fix undo install not working with archive files backup.
  • Package created folders no longer generate overlapping.

0.9.6 (2021-07-07)

• Overall optimization and various debug.
  • Repaired broken Context Wizard dialog.
  • Fix Load Contexts At Startup option dialog not saving properly.
  • New Tools menu for editors.
  • New improved Package editor dialog (moved in Tools menu).
  • New support for .omp extension file as Open Mod Manager Package.
  • Fix Batch properties crash if package no longer available.
  • Batch properties now ask user to clean Batch in case of invalid package reference.
  • Automatic fix Batch inconsistency in case of Context's Location changes.
  • Fix Batch execution thread not properly terminated.
  • Consolidated package algorithms for robust dependencies and overlaps management.
  • Setup now configure the system-wide application files and icons association.
  • Now only one running instance allowed to prevent conflicting usages.
  • New ability to run application and open Context files (.omc) by double-click on it.
  • Moved dev mode and warnings parameters from Manager to Location.
  • New Network repositories feature.
  • New Repository editor to create server side repository definition files.
  • New Location's Network tab to setup client side repositories.
  • New Main Network tab to query online repositories and download remote packages.
  • Automatic dependencies download and fix system.

0.9.5 (2021-05-22)

• Fix Library list-view scroll position reset to top on refresh.
  • New buttons and dialogs for Batches edition
  • New Discard backups data feature for emergency situations
  • Edit menu modified for quicker access properties

0.9.4 (2020-11-26)

• Modify Package creation function to add picture file as provided.
  • Fix Package creation dialog crash if no Context loaded.
  • Fix various typo for "Uninstall".
  • Fix Load Contexts At Startup option dialog not saving properly.

0.9.3 (2020-07-21)

• Update pugixml API to version 1.10
  • Fixed new Context Wizzard custom library and bakcup folder incorrectly created.
  • Fixed multiple bugs in various dialogs.

0.9.2 (2020-07-15)

• Rewritten Package building algorithm.
  • Fixed Package "Save As" button never enabling.
  • Replace GPL text by credits in the "About" dialog.
  • Rewritten file/directory Access-Control check mechanisms.
  • Improved Unicode and non-ASCII characters support.
  • Fixed incorrect packages list refresh after move to trash.

0.9.1 (2020-07-11)

• Fixed random string bug and crash caused by buffer overflow.
  • Fixed Context creation wizard not properly reseted after cancel by user.
  • Fixed missing application informations and icons within Windows Application list.
  • Algorithm to check file and folder access permissions slightly modified

0.9.0 (2020-07-08)

• First public BETA release

Getting Started:

Tutorial video by Retrolux

( this video will show you two bugs that are now fixed... )

Basic Concepts

Open Mod Manager use a modular configuration system with freely movable and editable configurations files and environment. The main configuration entity is the Software Context.

The Softwate Context

The Software Context is the Manager related primary object. Since the Manager is due to apply and manage Mods (modifications) for a third-party softwares (or games), the primary objects it handle are the workspaces related to these third-party softwares, which here, are called Software Context or simply Context. So to say, like an image editor deals with images, Open Mod Manager deals with Software Context.

A simple way to understand Software Context is to view it as the root of a workspace related to a third-party software. This workspace is both abstract and concrete by the way a Software Context is located in its own standalone folder which will contains sub-elements related to this Context. As Software Context itself is more a container, most relevant things are its components, the main one is the Target Location.

The Target Location

The Target Location is the main sub-element of a Software Context and in some way, a key part of the Manager. Since the Manager is due to apply and manage Mods (modifications) for a third-party softwares (or games), the relation between the third-party software and Mods (modifications) to be installed is at center of its procedures. The Target Location is the entity that incarnate this relation, it is the route between the Manager and the third-party software.

A good way to understand Target Location is to view it as a port of the Manager that both serve as warehouse and make a route to the third-party software. The Target Location not only describes a route to the third-party software, it also hold - in tis default configuration - in its own folder the subfolders dedicated to store Packages (Mods) and backup data.

The Target Location embed many parameters such as Network repositories or how to store backup data, but the most important, it defines three key parameters to interact wit the third-party software:

The Target Destination folder

This is the folder where the Packages's (Mods) files are copied (installed) to modify the targeted third-party software. This is usually the third-party software root (or installation) folder.

The Library folder

This is the folder where the Manager seeks for available Packages to be installed into the Target Destination folder.

The Packages are (should be) created by developers in accordance to the third-party file tree and the Target Destination folder to be properly installed, this is why a Library folder is usually very specific to one particular Target Location and should never be shared between several ones.

The Backup folder

This is the folder where the Manager will store backup of third-party software's overwritten files and the related restoration informations so to be able to properly uninstall Packages and restore the third-party software files to their original state.

The Backup folder is a sensitive part, if this folder is deleted, or its content alterated, the Manager will no longer be able to restore the original third-party software files.

Creating a new Software Context and its Target Location

Open Mod Manager provides a Software Context creation Wizard which will guide you through the creation of a new Software Context and its first Target Location. This chapter will details each steps and parameters related to this procedure.

To launch the Software Context Creation Wizard, go to the File menu, select New then Software Context...

The Wizard will guide you in two steps to first create the Software Context, then the first Target Location of this Software Context. Notice that all parameters can be modified later.

Documentation

More detailled documentation can be found in the GitHub wiki of the project here. This documentation is not finished and currently "work in progress" state:

https://github.com/sedenion/OpenModMan/wiki

Edited by sedenion
Edit version history for 1.2 release
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Awesome work Sedonion!

I'm testing this out on some 'test' folders to try and figure out how this works.

If you could give an example of how you would set it up for DCS it would be very helpful to understand this Context/Packages design.

I used my 'test' folders and some mods that I copied over to test it yesterday just once. I only created a 'Context', but not the 'Package' yet..

Then today I use the File/Recent menu to reopen it again, and I received this error about the Backup Folder is missing?? But as you can see, it is clearly there.. (see pic below) So, maybe I set something up incorrectly?

Again, an example of a DCS setup would help.. I don't understand the Context/Package design yet.

- - - -

Also, if I Start the Context Creation Wizard and type in a Title, then click Cancel.. Then I start the Context Creation Wizard again, it will not let me click 'Next'. It gives me the error "Invalid Context title", and I cannot proceed to the Next page. (see pic below)

EDIT:

Also, (I don't know if this would work?) is it possible for you to .zip up your DCS Context; Package; and sample folders so we could open it in OMM and see how it is setup/designed? Thanks.

Cheers!

awfwMAD.png

q5K0Arp.png

Jjiy5NV.png

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

nice project!

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

The good one is that a new Mod Manager software, Open Mod Manager, is available with a new algorithms, faster, better, stronger and a totally new configuration paradigm for a new freedom experience [epic music].

Even tough I’m perfectly happy with OvGME, I will try out this new tool of yours just out of curiosity :)

The bad new is that at this stage is still a beta, and some feature you are probably accoutumed are not yet implemented, notably: the "snapshot" and the "network" features.

I never used those features, in fact the only feature that I missed was the ability to have two or more Configs for the same destination .. I have a lot of Mods and rather than one long list I would have liked to have a Config for WW2 Mods, another just for Ship Mods, etc, that way the Mods listing would be more manageable.

:thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Awesome work Sedonion!

I'm testing this out on some 'test' folders to try and figure out how this works.

If you could give an example of how you would set it up for DCS it would be very helpful to understand this Context/Packages design.

I used my 'test' folders and some mods that I copied over to test it yesterday just once. I only created a 'Context', but not the 'Package' yet..

Don't care about creating Package yet, this is part of the advanced features. Only know that within Open Mod Manager, a Mod is a Package, a Package is a Mod... So, for example, the folders (which are mods) you placed in your Library directory, are considered, as Packages.

Then today I use the File/Recent menu to reopen it again, and I received this error about the Backup Folder is missing?? But as you can see, it is clearly there.. (see pic below) So, maybe I set something up incorrectly?

At first glance, you dit nothing wrong, notice that this error can also prompt if write permission is denied.

Can you reproduce the error and copy-past me the content of the Log ? You can quicly access the log via the menu "Help > Debug Log" or using the shortcut key Ctrl+D.

Also, can you copy-past the content of the .OML file (This is a simple XML file, you can open it with any text editor) you'll find in your Location folder ("DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta" in your case).

Also, if I Start the Context Creation Wizard and type in a Title, then click Cancel.. Then I start the Context Creation Wizard again, it will not let me click 'Next'. It gives me the error "Invalid Context title", and I cannot proceed to the Next page. (see pic below)

Well find... I found the cause of this bug. Until the next version, you can workaround by simply restarting the software.

Also, (I don't know if this would work?) is it possible for you to .zip up your DCS Context; Package; and sample folders so we could open it in OMM and see how it is setup/designed? Thanks.

This is technically possible, but when you open the Context file on your computer, OMM will prompt you another error, because my path to DCS World folder is probably not the same as your...

However, one project is to implement a way to do that, with a special wizard that ask the user to select the right folder.

Edited by sedenion

I have a lot of Mods and rather than one long list I would have liked to have a Config for WW2 Mods, another just for Ship Mods, etc, that way the Mods listing would be more manageable.

Well, you'll be happy to known that this is now possible with Open Mod Manager, simply by creating several Locations (within the Context) that points to the same destination folders...

HOWEVER, for now OMM do not handle Mod overlaps (Mod that overwrite files of a previously installed Mod) accross multiple Location.

So, be aware that in this case, there is a risk for original files corruption due to unhandled installation overlaps... So, if you do that, you must be sure that there is no chance for a Mod of a Location to overwrite some files of another Mod of another Location, otherwise you risk to have corrupted backup and loose some original files

Well, you'll be happy to known that this is now possible with Open Mod Manager, simply by creating several Locations (within the Context) that points to the same destination folders...

HOWEVER, for now OMM do not handle Mod overlaps (Mod that overwrite files of a previously installed Mod) accross multiple Location.

So, be aware that in this case, there is a risk for original files corruption due to unhandled installation overlaps...

Ok, thanks a lot for the tip, I will be careful :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Can you reproduce the error and copy-past me the content of the Log ? You can quicly access the log via the menu "Help > Debug Log" or using the shortcut key Ctrl+D.

Also, can you copy-past the content of the .OML file (This is a simple XML file, you can open it with any text editor) you'll find in your Location folder ("DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta" in your case).

LOG:

[13:39:15] Manager:: Initialization

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World OB Context.omc):: Loading

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml"

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml):: Loading

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using Destination folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OMM Test"

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using default Library folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library"

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using default Backup folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup"

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Loaded

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Loaded

[13:39:22] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OB Context)

[13:39:22] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Select Location(DCS World Open Beta)

[13:39:22]XX Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Backup folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup" write permission denied.

NOTE: I am able to Copy files into that backup folder and also delete them manually. I am Admin of my pc. When I run OMM as admin I do not get this backup folder error.

OML FILE:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Open_Mod_Manager_Location>
<uuid>715f5978-4804-40f6-b691-3263acea96c6</uuid>
<title index="0">DCS World Open Beta</title>
<install>D:\My Programs\DCS World OMM Test</install>
</Open_Mod_Manager_Location>

This is technically possible, but when you open the Context file on your computer, OMM will prompt you another error, because my path to DCS World folder is probably not the same as your...

However, one project is to implement a way to do that, with a special wizard that ask the user to select the right folder.

I mean you can make a fake DCS folder, and just a few sample mods? And we can edit the .oml file and add the correct path? :thumbup:

This is what I am going to do until I understand how this works and you smash all of the bugs. :smilewink:

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

[ATTACH]242097[/ATTACH]

NOTE: I am able to Copy files into that backup folder and also delete them manually. I am Admin of my pc. When I run OMM as admin I do not get this backup folder error.

Ok, so the problem is obviously how the software check the permissions... The fact is that I am unable de reproduce this bug on my side, and I am administrator too...

Since I have absolutely no clue about why it does not work, I'll need your contribution. Here is a "Debug" version of the software, It is almost the same except that it will open with a console window.

OpenModMan.rar

All what you have to do is to extract and execute it (you don't need to replace the original exe file, simply place this exe somewhere and execute it) then open the Context that throw the bug, and check the console window carefully, you will see the normal Log and somes additional lines:

__checkAccess start

[i] - something here -[/i]

__checkAccess returned #

This is what I need, with hope that will tell me what is wrong...

I mean you can make a fake DCS folder, and just a few sample mods? And we can edit the .oml file and add the correct path? :thumbup:

I don't understand your request, what you did is OK, you created a Context, then put the Mods into the Library folder... the only thing is that you should set the "Destination folder" of your Location to the DCS World installation folder... that's all..

Edited by sedenion

Sorry, I did it and did get that error for write permissions on the backup folder. But your new log info is not there..

[18:55:59] Manager:: Initialization

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World OB Context.omc):: Loading

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml"

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.o���̠:: Loading

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using Destination folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OMM Test"

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using default Library folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library"

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using default Backup folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup"

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Loaded

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Loaded

[18:56:08] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OB Context)

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Select Location(DCS World Open Beta)

[18:56:08]XX Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Backup folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup" write permission denied.

And what is this:

[18:56:08] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.o���̠:: Loading

A small detail to fix, for the next release .. the Software name on Windows CP is "NSIS Example2" and there is no Editor name nor version number:

ajp37Js.jpg

Greetings.

Sorry, I did it and did get that error for write permissions on the backup folder. But your new log info is not there..

This is not possible, did you looked into the consol window that opens with the software (not the log within the software) ? Did you download the exe I supplied in the previous post ?

And what is this:

Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.o���̠:: Loading

Bad unicode characters, this is not normal, EDIT: I found the cause, I set a buffer size for log text a bit too short, your long path reach the end of the buffer, which cause bad end of string. this is a minor problem, no worry about that, it is only related to log output.

Edited by sedenion

This is not possible, did you looked into the consol window that opens with the software (not the log within the software) ? Did you download the exe I supplied in the previous post ?

Sorry, I think that console window opened behind another window yesterday. I do see it now.. I opened OMM and selected the one Recent project and it gave me the backup folder error.

Here is what the console window has:

[10:56:42] Manager:: Initialization

[10:56:54] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World OB Context.omc):: Loading

[10:56:54] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml"

[10:56:54] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.o

Console.thumb.png.5ebb8d317e28c297df89d6dcc7b6e8aa.png

[10:56:42] Manager:: Initialization

[10:56:54] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World OB Context.omc):: Loading

[10:56:54] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml"

[10:56:54] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.o

That will become a running gag...

Can you please retry with this one ? :OpenModMan.rar

Edited by sedenion

Does anybody else have issues with folder access permissions ? If yes, can you tell me if you have some special user or disk share setup ?

On my case, I have not been able to create any packages at all .. the Save button is greyed out, like this:

Ocw00RA.jpg

3r7tYU8.jpg

I don't think it is related to folder permissions, as I'm using regular folders outside of the /Program Files/ path:

eNwWhXM.jpg

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Open Mod, but haven't been able to solve this :(

Greetings,

Eduardo

Ok, I published a new release after discovered that I made a big mistake with some string buffers that cause text bugs and random craches... The mistake was so huge that I don't even know how that could worked before and why my compiler didn't insulted me.

You can download the new version at the first page of this topic.

On my case, I have not been able to create any packages at all .. the Save button is greyed out, like this:

Ok, thanks for report, I will investigate that... I did not touched this part of software since a long time, this is probably a side effect of modifications made elsewhere with time.

That will become a running gag...

Can you please retry with this one ? :OpenModMan.rar

Here you go...

I also checked the Security Privlages on the Properties of both the 'DCS World Open Beta' & "backup' folders, and they were exactly the same. :cry:

[15:09:03] Manager:: Initialization

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World OB Context.omc):: Loading

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml"

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\DCS World Open Beta.oml):: Loading

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using Destination folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OMM Test"

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using default Library folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library"

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Using default Backup folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup"

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Loaded

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Loaded

[15:09:10] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OB Context)

__checkAccess start for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OMM Test"

__checkAccess for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OMM Test returned 1

[15:09:10] Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Select Location(DCS World Open Beta)

__checkAccess start for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup"

__checkAccess for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup returned 1

__checkAccess start for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup"

__checkAccess for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup returned 0

[15:09:10]XX Manager:: Context(DCS World OB Context):: Location(DCS World Open Beta):: Backup folder "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\backup" write permission denied.

__checkAccess start for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library"

__checkAccess for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library returned 1

__checkAccess start for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library"

__checkAccess for "D:\My Programs\DCS World OB Context\DCS World Open Beta\library returned 1

Here you go...

I also checked the Security Privlages on the Properties of both the 'DCS World Open Beta' & "backup' folders, and they were exactly the same. :cry:

Ok, what the log you posted tell that there is absolutely NO problem except that the program does not have write permission... Which does not help me...

I don't think the problem come from the folder configuration, but from the user configuration, or how the software is run... (as you noticed, running it as administrator solve the problem).

Do you have a specific user configuration ? such as multiple users ? some network sharing configuration ?

Currently, it seem your are the alone who encounter the problem, this mean there something special with your configuration. The big question is : WHAT ?

I come later with another "debug" version...

Edited by sedenion

Nothing special that I can think of.. Nobody uses the computer but me. There is one account and I am admin. My windows 10 install is old, from when it came out..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Nothing special that I can think of.. Nobody uses the computer but me. There is one account and I am admin. My windows 10 install is old, from when it came out..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Ok, this time we will exactly know what does not pass the permission check... As previously, you download and execute the supplied debug version (bellow).

Now, when you encounter error, you should see something like this in the console:

__checkAccess: denied, allowed access (mask):
[x]  FILE_READ_DATA + LIST_DIRECTORY
[ ]  FILE_WRITE_DATA + ADD_FILE
[ ]  FILE_APPEND_DATA + ADD_SUBDIRECTORY
[x]  FILE_READ_EA
[ ]  FILE_WRITE_EA
[x]  FILE_EXECUTE + TRAVERSE
[x]  FILE_DELETE_CHILD
[x]  FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
[ ]  FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
[x]  DELETE
[x]  READ_CONTROL
[x]  WRITE_DAC
[x]  WRITE_OWNER
[x]  SYNCHRONIZE

The debug version to execute:

OpenModMan.rar

OpenModMan.rar

Ok, the other day I decided to move the folders to My Documents on F: drive and I didn't get the error at all. So I 'copied' it back to D: again. So now I had 2 Contexts. And I created a new one too. So that's 3.

As you can see below, I 'File/Opened' all 3 and did not get any errors. Then I selected them from the 'File/Recent contexts' and also received no error. Then I selected each one from the DropDown box and did not receive any errors. So it's weird. I would just forget it until it happens again? Could be an ownership problem of the folder? IDK..

[10:59:20] Manager:: Initialization

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\DCS World OpenBeta.omc):: Loading

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\OpenBeta.oml"

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\OpenBeta.oml):: Loading

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Using Destination folder "F:\My Documents\+ My Game DCS World TEST Folder"

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Using default Library folder "D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\library"

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Using default Backup folder "D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\backup"

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Loaded

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Loaded

[10:59:29] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OpenBeta)

[10:59:29] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Select Location(OpenBeta)

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(F:\My Documents\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\DCS World OpenBeta.omc):: Loading

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Found Location: "F:\My Documents\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\OpenBeta.oml"

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(F:\My Documents\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\OpenBeta.oml):: Loading

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Using Destination folder "F:\My Documents\+ My Game DCS World TEST Folder"

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Using default Library folder "F:\My Documents\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\library"

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Using default Backup folder "F:\My Documents\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\DCS World OpenBeta\OpenBeta\backup"

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Location(OpenBeta):: Loaded

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Loaded

[10:59:51] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OpenBeta)

[10:59:51] Manager:: Context(DCS World OpenBeta):: Select Location(OpenBeta)

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\D - Test DCS Mods\D - Test DCS Mods.omc):: Loading

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Found Location: "D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\D - Test DCS Mods\DCS Game Folder\DCS Game Folder.oml"

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Location(D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\D - Test DCS Mods\DCS Game Folder\DCS Game Folder.oml):: Loading

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Location(DCS Game Folder):: Using Destination folder "D:\My Programs\+ My Game DCS World TEST Folder"

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Location(DCS Game Folder):: Using default Library folder "D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\D - Test DCS Mods\DCS Game Folder\library"

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Location(DCS Game Folder):: Using default Backup folder "D:\My Programs\+ My Game MODS (NEW OMM)\D - Test DCS Mods\DCS Game Folder\backup"

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Location(DCS Game Folder):: Loaded

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Loaded

[10:59:58] Manager:: Select Context(D - Test DCS Mods)

[10:59:58] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Select Location(DCS Game Folder)

[11:00:08] Manager:: Select Context(D - Test DCS Mods)

[11:00:08] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Select Location(DCS Game Folder)

[11:00:35] Manager:: Select Context(D - Test DCS Mods)

[11:00:35] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Select Location(DCS Game Folder)

[11:00:43] Manager:: Select Context(D - Test DCS Mods)

[11:00:43] Manager:: Context(D - Test DCS Mods):: Select Location(DCS Game Folder)

[11:01:44] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OpenBeta)

[11:01:48] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OpenBeta)

[11:01:51] Manager:: Select Context(D - Test DCS Mods)

[11:01:54] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OpenBeta)

[11:01:55] Manager:: Select Context(DCS World OpenBeta)

[11:01:56] Manager:: Select Context(D - Test DCS Mods)

As you can see below, I 'File/Opened' all 3 and did not get any errors. Then I selected them from the 'File/Recent contexts' and also received no error. Then I selected each one from the DropDown box and did not receive any errors. So it's weird. I would just forget it until it happens again? Could be an ownership problem of the folder? IDK..

Damn, I would have happy to know what caused the problem...

That can be subtle difference like ownership or rules applyed to the hard drive (which repercutes to the subfolders). The software check the application's permissions (ie. the user who launched the application) against the specified file or folder. Howehever, fact is that in the version you have and the previous version, the permission check is made against a large spectrum, including things not needed for basic file operations like create and/or delete files. As example, it includes "write extended attributes" and "synchronization"... I suspect the check failed on one of these things.

In the future version, permission check algorithm is modified to make it more precise in order to prevent this kind of fail due to an irrelevant permissions denied.