[FIXED]Repair tool deletes hard drive content if using custom downloads folder

• ED Team
I think given the amount of messing around people do with files to get even decent FPS out of DCS, they should put a warning up, regardless in 20years of gaming i've never once heard of any game or game related software doing this.

Damn you have been lucky, eve online fried my cpu when they went to walk in stations :)

This issue is in no way that bad, the situation will only occur if you are using a custom download location via ( autoupdate_settings.cfg), which I imagine is less than 1% of the user base. It will also give you a warning about the files about to be deleted.

as mentioned the dev is working on a fix

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

New updater is ready for update.

thank you for your patience.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Friend your CPU? Sounds like that wasn't the game but your hardware there bud, i remember when they released walk about never had an issue.

Its a long story feel free to PM me :)

Just to clear something up. I did not modify the autoupdate_settings.cfg. I just had DCS in N:\DCS World OpenBeta and did nothing to the any install related configs. The updater just deleted all files in the N:\ root all by itself.

Crowbar Inc.: "We deliver pain."

Just to clear something up. I did not modify the autoupdate_settings.cfg. I just had DCS in N:\DCS World OpenBeta and did nothing to the any install related configs. The updater just deleted all files in the N:\ root all by itself.

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I have daily Full/Differential/Incremental backups (Macrium Reflect) on two external drives, and a Rescue Boot flash drive.

DCS is on E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta

I'm going to disable my OvGME profiles and run the newest update on my OpenBeta install.

ETA - everything looks fine.

Edited by eracer1111

• ED Team

You could ran out of space some time ago and were presented with a dialog to change your download folder. I guess at this point we cannot get any configs and logs to check this. I'm sorry for your loss.

In the code, the updater operates with files inside install folder or download folder ONLY. Never anywhere else - as a safety measure.

2.10.0 started to assume that it can remove everything extra from the download folder. It was not considering a case of user error or misconfiguration where download folder may point to a useful filesystem sub-tree.

2.10.1 only deletes what it does know of and warns about everything else. Still if someone points his download folder improperly, the files matching the names of what's being downloaded will get overwritten.

The only safe route here is to remove this "custom download folder" feature completely and always use game install dir for all operations. Users may opt to store their stuff there as well, but that would obviously be a risky behavior.

The downsides of an open platform...

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Okay, I ... I don't think I'm going to ever touch that Repair tool ever again. I can't, I've got pictures of family, of vacations, and home videos from VHS...I can't risk all that by using a DCS tool, what the heck!

Dude, buy some cloud storage NOW. Even backing up to another hard drive is not good enough, like if you have a fire, for example, unless you store it at another physical location.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• ED Team
Nice work c0ff. I imagine it wasn't the Sunday you were expecting!

Yeabsolutely!

Thank you for the kind words!

This was the first critical bug in the updater since its inception in 2012.

I hope the situation is over for you guys, but it is definitely not for us: the analysis and changes in the process are ongoing.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Yeabsolutely!

Thank you for the kind words!

This was the first critical bug in the updater since its inception in 2012.

I hope the situation is over for you guys, but it is definitely not for us: the analysis and changes in the process are ongoing.

Thanks man!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

@c0FF

I managed to recover most of the deleted files from my hard drive (Except my FL Studio projects *sigh*). Which log files would you require to further analyse the issue?

Again let me assure you, that I had DCS regularly installed in a folder on my N: drive, not in the root directory and that I didn't modify any config files.

Crowbar Inc.: "We deliver pain."

... Which log files would you require to further analyse the issue?

Most likely, the "autoupdate_log.txt" located at the DCS folder: N:\DCS World OpenBeta

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team
@c0FF

I managed to recover most of the deleted files from my hard drive (Except my FL Studio projects *sigh*). Which log files would you require to further analyse the issue?

Again let me assure you, that I had DCS regularly installed in a folder on my N: drive, not in the root directory and that I didn't modify any config files.

Good news! I'm really glad!

I will need all of these (if present):

autoupdate_log.txt

autoupdate_log_old.txt

autoupdate.cfg

autoupdate_settings.cfg

autoupdate_dev.cfg

... all autoupdate*.* files in fact.

.dat is not necessary and it's quite big but you can attach it as well.