No Signal Charlie

bonesvf103

I've been noticing in the last few days that After I call see you at 10 and they tell me to switch tower and my virtual self does and calls them, the last comm I get is roger, BRC and that's it. I don;t get a signal charlie less than 3 miles out even though I am the only aircraft in the pattern. I get an LSO when I call the ball. BNut when I land I get "no proper communication."

Anyone having this issue? I never hear them call charlie anymore. I've tried it on Stennis, Roosevelt, Lincoln, PG, Caucuses, nothing works. I checked the freq, it's all tuned, and broadcasting on the correct radio--plus I do get Marshall and LSO answering and calling me.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I'm not having this issue.

Are you flying over the top of the ship after your 10 mile call? I think that's the trigger for the charlie call. I've noticed also that it can be a little time late if I overfly the ship 'hot', say at about 500 knots or so heading into the tuck-under.

I'm not having this issue.

Are you flying over the top of the ship after your 10 mile call? I think that's the trigger for the charlie call. I've noticed also that it can be a little time late if I overfly the ship 'hot', say at about 500 knots or so heading into the tuck-under.

I am flying at MSL at 250 knots and am approaching from astern, starboard side. This has worked before, and would be a typical Marshall altitude.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I'm only guessing, but the marshal pattern for Case-1 originates right on top of the carrier and extends out to the port side. My suggestion would be to try passing right over the top of the deck at about 2000' or so, and see what happens. If you get the Charlie call then you can do one descending lap to port and overfly again at 800' for the break. I haven't really experimented with it, but offsetting from the ship too far to starboard may cause you to miss a trigger in-game. Again, I'm only guessing here.

Although I will say, it works fine for me at either marshal altitude or just coming in for the break after the 10 mile call. I get the charlie signal as I go over the top of the boat either way, no problems. Try going right over the top of the deck if you haven't already, and see what happens.

Hope you get it working for you. My biggest gripe about DCS is that everything seems to be an 'early release', a 'beta', or what not, and buggy as hell. I think the whole game would benefit if the devs put the brakes on 'new stuff' for a while and concentrated on finishing / polishing what's already out, but that's neither here nor there.

I am flying at MSL at 250 knots and am approaching from astern, starboard side. This has worked before, and would be a typical Marshall altitude.

v6,

boNes

Shouldn’t that be 350 knots? At 800 ft. ... I always get the Charlie call at 3 miles , though I haven’t tried at 250...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I always get signal charlie under the following conditions:

1. Green deck

2. Ownship orbiting 2000ft 250kts in CASE I pattern (within 5nm at the #3 position)

350kts at 800' is Initial, which would be after getting signal charlie.

Shouldn’t that be 350 knots? At 800 ft. ... I always get the Charlie call at 3 miles , though I haven’t tried at 250...

Well what I was getting at was that I was in the Marshall, so was at 250 it’s at angels 2. It used to be when I did that I’d get signal Charlie...in this mission, before I even got to position 1of the post.

v6,

boNes

Well I figured out what was up. In this stock mission you hot start out at about 8mi from the boat,maybe a little less. So, since I was already inside 10 mi, I called see you at 10. What I found was that if you call inbound first, then immediately call see you at 10...then it works. Looks like it’s a nuance of a hot start mission too close to the carrier.

Thanks all!

v6,

boNes

Well I figured out what was up. In this stock mission you hot start out at about 8mi from the boat,maybe a little less. So, since I was already inside 10 mi, I called see you at 10. What I found was that if you call inbound first, then immediately call see you at 10...then it works. Looks like it’s a nuance of a hot start mission too close to the carrier.

Thanks all!

v6,

boNes

ah you are using Banklers mission ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Thanks all!

v6,

boNes

ah you are using Banklers mission ? as the default case I recovery starts you at 20

No I was using the stock Caucuses mission that comes with the F-14 and Hornet.

Instant Action, those ones

v6,

boNes

those aren't really rigged for super carrier comms as far as i know so your behavior maybe inconsistent

No it works fine, it just seems to care in what sequence you do things that's all.

I tried calling inbound right away, waiting for her to finish then calling see you at 10. At 3 miles I got signal charlie.

Tried it again, this time calling inbound then immediately calling see you at 10 before she even finished. When I got to 3 miles I got signal charlie.

Call see you at 10 without inbound call, at 3 miles, no signal charlie.

Seems sequence is important non-Supercarrier and Supercarrier alike.

v6,

boNes

Unless you carry out the correct join, you shouldn’t be surprised to miss calls.

For case 1 recoveries, Signal Charlie should be received when you are holding (2000 ft, 5 mile rad circle with starboard side centred on the carrier. Then you descend out of the holding pattern starting Abeam the carrier Descending to 800 ft and 350 knots to join the pattern slightly starboard of the carrier commencing about .5 to 1.5 miles ahead. Descend to 600 ft and on speed AOA On the downwind leg before turning for finals and entering the groove at about 3/4 miles astern and on runway centreline.

Anything else, and why would you even expect to get the correct calls?

Unless you carry out the correct join, you shouldn’t be surprised to miss calls.

For case 1 recoveries, Signal Charlie should be received when you are holding (2000 ft, 5 mile rad circle with starboard side centred on the carrier. Then you descend out of the holding pattern starting Abeam the carrier Descending to 800 ft and 350 knots to join the pattern slightly starboard of the carrier commencing about .5 to 1.5 miles ahead. Descend to 600 ft and on speed AOA On the downwind leg before turning for finals and entering the groove at about 3/4 miles astern and on runway centreline.

Anything else, and why would you even expect to get the correct calls?

I already figured out the cause of the issue and solution, see my previous post.

Your procedure is correct, and is what I do. But you know what? Even though I followed your posted procedure, I would still not get signal charlie, nor would you. You too would be surprised to get missed calls even though you performed the correct join. Why? Because in the above posted procedure, it assumes that you have called signal inbound, then see you at 10. The stock mission that was installed with the F-14 module (non-Supercarrier) that I was flying spawns you in the air less than 10 miles away, so why would anyone expect that they would have to call inbound first when that is supposed to happen as much as 50 miles out? I was spawned at 10 miles, so I went straight to calling see you at 10. How is anyone to know that you still have to call inbound when you are already 10 miles away? It is easy for someone to just assume that since you are spawned so close to the carrier, that the inbound call is not needed/already understood by the AI as being done.

Further, when I called see you at 10, Marshall responded--which led me to believe that comms were established AND working per the DCS logic. It was when I got to 3 miles and no signal charlie call that I suspected that something was wrong.

And to prove it out, I tried the mission again--this time calling inbound even though I was spawned a good 40 miles closer to where I would've called inbound, got a response, then called see you at 10, got a response, then got a signal charlie at 3 miles.

To prove it further, I did the inbound call then the see you at 10 call immediately afterwards. Got both responses AND signal charlie at 3 miles.

So it is all dependent on fulfilling the comms logic for landing on the carrier, and not so much the procedure, that triggers the proper comms response, including signal charlie.

v6,

boNes

PS Since someone else mentioned it, I also found in testing that it doesn't matter if you are overhead the carrier or off to the starboard side--you still will get signal charlie if you had called inbound and see you at 10 at first.