AWG-9 performance in multiplayer.

Airhunter

Been doing some RIO work today after the patch and the AWG-9 doesn't seem to pick anything up and barely holds a lock (both pd and pulse stt). I also get a lot of 0 velocity ownship track files on the TID in both RWS and TWS (see picture below). Whenever I have a good trackfile, hook it and hit STT it instantly loses lock, same goes for switching to pulse from pd stt. STT locks also seem to drop very easily for whatever reason. Easily reproducable on any populated MP server.

Screen_200715_234146.thumb.png.8b1275506c32edcfadba075615ad4d06.png

Edited by Airhunter

Ok, something broke RWS in the latest update, either the "ground clutter" broke it or jamming got somehow implemented or dead missiles are being picked up. Point being in RWS you now get a bunch of fake, 0 velocity contacts on the TID that you can't look when you hook them. They clutter up the screen and you lose all SA.

This is happening while flying as a RIO mind you, TWS seems fine for the most part it's just RWS that is super broken and barely usable. Does anyone else experience this when flying as RIO in multiplayer?

screen_200716_1930336ujl0.png

screen_200716_193328wjk61.png

screen_200716_193410dxkw9.png

screen_200716_194205gejdz.png

screen_200716_195950jjk5q.png

screen_200716_201522rwjam.png

screen_200716_201757shjzs.png

We have found a bug in which the MLC is incorrectly controlled by how the radar antenna is looking vs the aircraft nose instead of horizon which makes the MLC filter turn off incorrectly while the aircraft is in a nose down or roll maneuvre.

The screenshots posted here seems to have the aircraft in a non straight and level attitude and the resulting contacts on the TID looks like ground clutter so this might be it. This issue has been found and should be fixed next patch.

Edited by Naquaii

We have found a bug in which the MLC is incorrectly controlled by how the radar antenna is looking vs the aircraft nose instead of horizon which makes the MLC filter turn off incorrectly while the aircraft is in a nose down or roll maneuvre.

The screenshots posted here seems to have the aircraft in a non straight and level attitude and the resulting contacts on the TID looks like ground clutter so this might be it. This issue has been found and should be fixed next patch.

:thumbup:

no idea if its a different problem but we couldnt lock a damn thing last night even when we were straight and level, not even pal or ir seamlock worked

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

I just flew the F-14 for the first time after the recent update (in the backseat) and didn't notice any issues with the radar. What I did notice though, was ground clutter on the TID when I deliberately turned off the MLC filter. That's new isn't it?!

It made me really happy to see this as this now makes for a much more realistic simulation of the MLC filter, as this makes it much more difficult to work without the MLC filter in look down situations. I'm really loving it! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This also happens in a mostly level flight sometimes. Locks drop very easily and when you switch to pulse stt from pd stt the antenna recenters, causing a loss of lock. Any thoughts?

Also, if it is the MLC shouldnt the ground clutter also appear on the DDD? Because it doesn't with it turned on. If it was ground clutter it should all appear at the same distance from the aircraft in a straight line, not randomly at different spots.

This also happens in a mostly level flight sometimes. Locks drop very easily and when you switch to pulse stt from pd stt the antenna recenters, causing a loss of lock. Any thoughts?

Also, if it is the MLC shouldnt the ground clutter also appear on the DDD? Because it doesn't with it turned on. If it was ground clutter it should all appear at the same distance from the aircraft in a straight line, not randomly at different spots.

"Mostly" level flight might also cause it, keep in mind that we're talking about 3 degrees here. If you have mountainous terrain ahead you might actually have to manually enable the MLC filter. As for going from pd stt to p stt it's not a guaranteed transition by a long shot. Firstly pulse does have a much lesser range and secondly it's also susceptible to a lot of more clutter situations than pd is.

With MLC turned off there should be clutter in the DDD as well. And no, it wouldn't be in a straight line, on the DDD it will be a curved arced like described in the manual with the curve being greater the faster your own speed. The contacts on the TID on the other hand will be random within that area and with the MLC logic not currently being stabilised to the horizon even more so.

After STT locking a bandit, I am seeing tracks show up on the TID along the path of the lock line. I've never seen that before... should tracks get generated and displayed like that?

This sounds as if your MLC filter is off. If you did not turn it off yourself that is a bug we are currently investigating which should be fixed in the next main patch.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Take a look at the screenshots I posted in this thread. You can clearly see that the MLC is left in AUTO and the DDD doesnt reflect what is seen on the TID. I'd advise to test this behaviour for yourself on say the Growling Sidewinder server where there's lots of people and contacts. 100% reproduceable there.

Take a look at the screenshots I posted in this thread. You can clearly see that the MLC is left in AUTO and the DDD doesnt reflect what is seen on the TID. I'd advise to test this behaviour for yourself on say the Growling Sidewinder server where there's lots of people and contacts. 100% reproduceable there.

Ah yes, but that's likely the bug we've been talking about in action. The DDD MLC is working but the TID one isn't. IRL they would be the same but this bug affects only the TID afaik.

We have identified this bug and are working to have a fix for next months patch (or sooner if possible).

Ah yes, but that's likely the bug we've been talking about in action. The DDD MLC is working but the TID one isn't. IRL they would be the same but this bug affects only the TID afaik.

We have identified this bug and are working to have a fix for next months patch (or sooner if possible).

Cool, hopefully this also resolves the very weak locks. :thumbup:

Anecdotally I've also seen a major problem with the AWG-9 performance in multiplayer.

Routinely id have GCI having me point directly at a hot bandit, id see its contrails, and jester is unable to find it.

Jester also gets stuck in TWS - AUTO. So you cant tell him to scan an area, hes stuck scanning nothing in TWS Auto

I also don't think ive had a single TWS kill in days, but STT seems to work just fine. Ive seen TWS shots pourpose coming off the rails like they are losing the track and getting it back, even though the TID doesnt show that

and FINALLY

He also has several times gotten a TWS Manual lock, and then switched to RWS right when I shoot.

I have a feeling there is some Multiplayer sync/lag issue that is messing TWS shots up?

Routinely id have GCI having me point directly at a hot bandit, id see its contrails, and jester is unable to find it.

Yes! Except in my case it's contacts donated via data link.

Ive seen TWS shots pourpose coming off the rails like they are losing the track and getting it back, even though the TID doesnt show that

Yes!

He also has several times gotten a TWS Manual lock, and then switched to RWS right when I shoot.

And yes again! Presumably related to losing all contacts in TWS.

Either way, because of this dropped contact on launch, the next time I launch, the same contact is usually the target. So it gets another Phoenix headed their way. And if again there is this weird IMMEDIATE loss on launch, it repeats. So, without really wanting to, the same contact has multiple (3-4) 54's headed their way, with most (and often all) of them not supported by the radar. So most usually miss.

@Heatblur

I feel like the AWG-9 in TWS drops tracks and replaces them with a new track too easily.

For example: You're in a hot on duell with a single bandit. You have him on TWS, but then he starts cranking from one side to another and back again. Each time he changes the direction of his crank TWS momentarily drops the track and almost immediately creates a new track for the same bandit going in the other direction now.It seems like the AWG-9 doesn't understand that a bandit can change from flanking left to flanking right (or vice versa) pretty quickly. Instead it just assumes it is a new contact and assigns a new track to it and the old one gets lost.

This makes it very difficult to engage with Phoenixes in TWS, as the track which the Phoenix is going at, gets lost at each direction change of the bandit.

Maybe you guys can fine tune this a bit, so that the AWG-9 doesn't take a direction change of a contact for a new contact as easily? :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

@Heatblur

I feel like the AWG-9 in TWS drops tracks and replaces them with a new track too easily.

For example: You're in a hot on duell with a single bandit. You have him on TWS, but then he starts cranking from one side to another and back again. Each time he changes the direction of his crank TWS momentarily drops the track and almost immediately creates a new track for the same bandit going in the other direction now.It seems like the AWG-9 doesn't understand that a bandit can change from flanking left to flanking right (or vice versa) pretty quickly. Instead it just assumes it is a new contact and assigns a new track to it and the old one gets lost.

This makes it very difficult to engage with Phoenixes in TWS, as the track which the Phoenix is going at, gets lost at each direction change of the bandit.

Maybe you guys can fine tune this a bit, so that the AWG-9 doesn't take a direction change of a contact for a new contact as easily? :)

I have the exact same experience. The bandit doesn't have to notch, a simpl jink lext or right is enough. I would think the track should be a bit more resilient and maybe be avle to correlate the old and the new as being the same...

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

I have the exact same experience. The bandit doesn't have to notch, a simpl jink lext or right is enough. I would think the track should be a bit more resilient and maybe be avle to correlate the old and the new as being the same...

Exactly :thumbup:

I would love to know how well the mapping of tracks to contacts worked IRL, because I can't imagine the AWG-9 confusing an existing contact for a new contact that easily.

Tornado3 small.jpg