Oxygen is always on in the Hornet regardless of knob/switch position

VFA41_Lion

I prefer to do my testing sessions from cold and dark starts, so that takes a bit extra time.

That's extra time we have to run your track before we actually get to the bug report. It also gives the track more time to accumulate errors... which will exponentially increase if we have to accelerate time to bypass your cold start... which is not related to the problem.

Honestly I don't really want to watch a 30 minute track just to see you left the cockpit pressurized...

That's extra time we have to run your track before we actually get to the bug report. It also gives the track more time to accumulate errors... which will exponentially increase if we have to accelerate time to bypass your cold start... which is not related to the problem.

Honestly I don't really want to watch a 30 minute track just to see you left the cockpit pressurized...

Unless you are on the Eagle Dynamics F/A-18 development team or part of the QA testing team, I don't really care what you think. Nothing personal. :)

That being said, the entire track is thirteen minutes. The F/A-18 as it stands doesn't require even remotely 30 minutes to startup and takeoff.

• ED Team

Hi

My understanding is the cockpit is still pressurised, so you will only blackout if your canopy is removed also

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

My understanding is the cockpit is still pressurised, so you will only blackout if your canopy is removed also

thanks

Really? That contradicts the reports of the failed OBOGS causing hypoxia and possibly contributing to pilot deaths.

https://www.stripes.com/news/navy-4-f-a-18-pilot-deaths-could-be-tied-to-oxygen-system-failures-1.473811

At the very least, leaving the OBOGS disabled should cause hypoxia at altitude even if the cabin remains pressurized

At the very least, leaving the OBOGS disabled should cause hypoxia at altitude even if the cabin remains pressurized

It used to be that way but I think they changed it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=252871

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216672

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213998

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213383

Hi

In DCS we dont have a mask on off state.

if the pilot has a mask it is assumed on, if the pilot does not have a mask it is assumed off.

turning the oxygen off if the pilot has a mask will lead to hypoxia.

thanks

Perhaps they now assume the pilot removes the disabled/failed mask if cockpit air pressure is enough to breathe normally?

So I played around with this a bit.

I started a mission and climbed to 50,000 feet with oxygen completely off and OBOGS disabled. Cockpit pressure gauge indicated approximately 18,000ft. This is equivalent to the extreme zone for mountain medicine. Not a great place to be and you're going to have a bad time but you don't start getting into the loss of vision and consciousness until the death zone at 26,000ft, which would probably be like around... 60-65,000ft? Above the Armstrong Limit anyway, at which you'd be required to wear a pressure suit.

Just for giggles I popped the canopy and started getting tunnel vision as expected. Turning the oxygen and OBOGS system on had no effect which at that altitude probably makes sense.

In short, you're probably not having a great time with the oxygen off at altitude but I don't know how you model a headache in DCS.

Hi

thanks

The cockpit is pressurised following a certain schedule. Flight altitudes in excess of ~30.000ft result in cabin altitudes in excess of 10.000 ft according to NFM-000. That said, the cabin altitudes listed there are not high enough as to cause a rapid onset of hypoxia and would normally require prolonged exposure to cause any impairing hypoxia (>30 minutes?)

Is canopy damage simulated and will it cause a cockpit decompression and hypoxia?

Edited by Ahmed

• 1 year later...

I tried flying around at 40,000ft for over 30 minues and didn't notice anything. Shouldn't I pass out? I have seen the affect in other aircraft and looks pretty cool. Things start to look bury, then color goes away, and then my vision begins fade out. But in the F/A-18C nothing happens. I was wonder if the OBOGS system is modeled or if something is not working that used to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Above 40kft, the cabin is pressurized between 15~17kft.

Yeah, except in DCS you can disable OBOGS and fly at 40K for hours without a trace of hypoxia. The only way to blackout is to jettison the canopy.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Oxygen is always on in the Hornet regardless of knob/switch position
17 hours ago, Minsky said:

Yeah, except in DCS you can disable OBOGS and fly at 40K for hours without a trace of hypoxia. The only way to blackout is to jettison the canopy.

Yeah the cabin is pressurized?? And if you dump the cabin air you pass out.
Same reason why you don't pass out on an airliner.
The oxygen is there for the pilot to help with high g strain, high altitude and in the case of pressure loss in the cabin.

1 hour ago, Rissala said:

Yeah the cabin is pressurized?? And if you dump the cabin air you pass out.
Same reason why you don't pass out on an airliner.

Yeah, except at 40,000 ft the cabin is pressurized to 15,000-17,000 ft. That's at least two times higher than on any airliner. You'll need oxygen supply to not pass out that high.

Dima | My DCS uploads

13 minutes ago, Minsky said:

Yeah, except at 40,000 ft the cabin is pressurized to 15,000-17,000 ft. That's at least two times higher than on any airliner. You'll need oxygen supply to not pass out that high.

Not really. You will suffer some hypoxia effects but a healthy person will not pass out at that cabin altitude. 

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

16 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Not really. You will suffer some hypoxia effects but a healthy person will not pass out at that cabin altitude. 

was about to say this as well

people can climb everest without oxygen (28 000ft) if they are well trained and prepared
for the average person, this will be on the edge of their ability to stay awake