Windows 10 feature update observations.

Updated today to Win 10 2004 on driver nVidia 351,48 (latest WHQL).

No improvement in performance, no decrease either.

Tried GPU SCHEDULING, same as above.

Tried in VR, no change, no stutter (unticked it later again).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I saw a post a few days ago about Windows not going into sleep mode when the Warthog HOTAS was plugged in, (I cant remember which section the post was in) I was also having the same problem. At the moment though I have my G29 plugged in as I fancied a bit of car racing. Anyway I have found that when HAGS is off, my computer wont go to sleep with the G29 but when HAGS is on, my computer will go to sleep. So maybe the case with the HOG stick too.

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

HAGS?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Gotcha, you just forgot the N from new... ;)

Not trying to be smartass, just what I'm thinking may have caused this, is that the settings in Nvidia Software are applied from their own settings storage (since they're still there in the driver utility) to another registry location or some other file, more windows-specific perhaps, which got reset or deleted during the update.

One would have to use Process Monitor to test this theory and see what it does when "Apply" is hit. I don't have a Nvidia graphics card so I'm out of this one.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The recent windows update knocked my Dualshock 4 controller compatibility out the window by messing up some registry entries i had made originally to force it to co-operate with Forza 7.

So yeah, most likely something along the lines of what Worrazen is thinking.

Yep, I started that thread. It’s a pain. Happens with my Virpil, TM and Logitech gear. I’ve had 2 tech calls with MS as they are trying to understand why this is happening.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I had not changed my NVIDIA settings at all, they were setup how I always have them.

But after the windows update I had huge problems which went away after just re-applying the same unchanged NVIDIA Settings.

when updating nvidia drivers be sure you're using DDU unistaller in safe mode

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

additionaly when installing the new drivers check the voice "clean install" , this should clean all the previous settings.:thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Something strange happened regarding VR stutter and I can't explain it so I'm just gonna share it. I had no issue with VR performance until I decided to do some clean up on my Windows.

Deleted some rarely used apps like 3D Viewer and Mail and others through Windows Programs and Features.

Ran disk clean up.

Installed CCleaner, did some more uninstalling and registry cleaning.

Disabled and deleted some startup process including tons of adobe crap.

Rebooted.

Then I started DCS and immediately I noticed a thin 1 pixel gap at the top of the VR mirror on my monitor. That never happened before and I didn't think much of it at first but when I jumped into Blackshark, I was getting horrible stutters. I turned on FPS counter and it showed 45-60fps. After series of restarts, repairs and cleanups, nothing worked. Then I noticed something strange. While I'm in the cockpit with all the stutter, and I do alt tab. I get the Windows out of focus message but, everything gets smooth.

Finally, what fixed was turning off the GPU Scheduling. My system was working perfectly fine with GPU Scheduling on and didn't matter what I set it to. But for some reason, after all the cleanups I did, it mattered.

• 2 weeks later...

Horrible FPS and stuttering after updating to Windows 10 2004

After installing the 2004 feature update FPS in DCS are extremely low and unstable for me.

I'm running an Intel i7 8700, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 2080.

My system usually easily hits 60 FPS, especially after the latest DCS Open Beta Update performance was pretty good overall.

However after installing the 2004 feature update DCS barely hits 35 FPS.

I already tried all the usual stuff: reinstalling the NVIDIA driver, different driver versions, deleting shaders, enabling and disabling the new GPU scheduling feature, etc.

Nothing seems to have any impact on the bad performance I'm experiencing...

I also tried to reapply / reset the NVIDIA driver settings as BigNewy mentioned - to no avail.

So far I only noticed this reduced performance in DCS.

ControllerBuddy - A highly advanced game controller mapping software (for flight simulators)

Solution and potential bug in DCS

After trying all sorts of stuff I finally found a workaround for the huge performance loss I experienced after the 2004 update.

Since I'm pretty sure other people will run into the same issue after installing the Windows update I am documenting my findings here.

Also I believe my observations are pretty indicative of some pretty deeply hidden bug that could be the cause for all kinds of severe performance problems.

That's why I think this should definately be looked at by a developer and be made into a bug report.

Consequently I will recap my observations here:

I am running DCS with VSYNC enabled, i.e. my options.lua file contains the following setting:

["sync"] = true

Additionally I have an autoexec.cfg file inside my DCS Config folder which contains the following single line:

options.graphics.maxfps = 60

Limiting the maximum FPS to 60 should not really have any effect since my monitor is running with 60 Hz anyway and as stated above I also have VSYNC enabled, thus the framerate is capped at 60 by VSYNC already.

I kept the autoexec.cfg file with the maxfps setting anyway because depending on the inner workings of the engine I expected it might have a positive effect on the frame-time stability.

I should also note that I have had my configuration this way for a long time and never experience any issue / negative effect until now.

Now - meaning the update of Windows 10 to Release 2004.

I am 100% positive that nothing else changed with my system during that time, meaning there was no DCS update, driver update etc. in between.

After installing the update my FPS went from a capped 60 FPS (which my system pretty much reaches 99% of the time) down to 30 to 35 FPS.

Now I noticed that if I remove my autoexec.cfg file my FPS are at a stable 60 again. This means that the options.graphics.maxfps = 60 option in combination with the 2004 update was what caused the huge decrease in framerate.

The behavior is completely reproducable on my system, meaning when putting the autoexec.cfg back into the Config folder FPS are back down again.

ControllerBuddy - A highly advanced game controller mapping software (for flight simulators)

• 3 weeks later...
The recent windows update knocked my Dualshock 4 controller compatibility out the window by messing up some registry entries i had made originally to force it to co-operate with Forza 7.

Just had the 2004 update forced on me and it literally wiped all registry changes I made and reset most Windows settings to default as it it was a new install. Well, that's how MS sucks hard. And it brought a ton of issues that I had to deal with first, it's literaly an eternal pre-alpha. But well, since you can't stay on old versions anyway...

Installed the 452.06 drivers (with that complete reinstall option), went through all the driver settings again and tried to run with HAGS on for the time being, especially since that is being recommended to run that other new sim, but it didn't help me any.

Anyway, DCS 54046 has some very nasty freezes of like 3-5 seconds where literally nothing happens at all an the GPU drops down to 0% as well as the CPU, and I just guess it's the HAGS. I hope so to say the least... too many things have changed since I ran it the last time; 451.67 driver, 1909, DCS 53756 and maybe I didn't get exactly the same nVidia settings, and of course, HAGS, also had to do a driver update to my onboards, but since I don't use that I guess it doesn't have any impact, but you never know.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

None of these issues with 2004 or HAGS here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Now with HAGS off the framerate literally is cut in half and the stuttering got worse, but less long freezes. And it even made my microphones stop picking up.

I stay with my statement: Microsoft sucks. Was all great on 1909, but since you can't prevent it from updating... looks like I'm grounded for the time being.

-------- Edit: -------------------------------------------------

Looks like I got the right clue there with that mike not picking up. Something was pegging it's recording volume down to 0. As soon as I tried to pull it up, it would just went down to the bottom again, similar to an axis mapping in DCS that you'd not be aware of. And it was the case for all mikes. Well, since I had to update the driver software of my onboad audio (VIA HD) which was quite a thrill already (the installer would just crash and I had to follow that guide: https://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/tools-anwendungen-und-sicherheit/507129-tutorial-via-hd-audiotreiber-hd-vdeck-zum-laufen-bringen.html ), I just decided to try shutting down that VDeck software, which the old version of never ran on Win 10 and the new one is specifically made for that OS (go figure!), et voila, I could turn up my mikes again. So I just went into my task manager, entered the autostart tab and disabled that thing altogether from starting on bootup. Don't seem to need it anyway, I just use that device for my headset which works without that tool as well.

Then I decided to try DCS again, but in Pancake first. Viper at Ramat David, ~95fps on the ground, no stutters when looking around. Neither when flying. Restart the sim in VR, same flight. Down to 22fps again, but smooth at least. As soon as I left the base, I was pretty much at 45fps, sometimes it went down to 40. Still smooth. Pretty much what I had in 1909.

Well... I still don't like their forced updates and those "hey, THAT does NOT run anymore now!" messages which made me replace the audio driver...

At least I could sort it rather quickly... could have spent days over days trying every single setting instead fsgrin.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Now with HAGS off the framerate literally is cut in half and the stuttering got worse, but less long freezes. And it even made my microphones stop picking up.

I stay with my statement: Microsoft sucks. Was all great on 1909, but since you can't prevent it from updating... looks like I'm grounded for the time being.

-------- Edit: -------------------------------------------------

Looks like I got the right clue there with that mike not picking up. Something was pegging it's recording volume down to 0. As soon as I tried to pull it up, it would just went down to the bottom again, similar to an axis mapping in DCS that you'd not be aware of. And it was the case for all mikes. Well, since I had to update the driver software of my onboad audio (VIA HD) which was quite a thrill already (the installer would just crash and I had to follow that guide: https://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/tools-anwendungen-und-sicherheit/507129-tutorial-via-hd-audiotreiber-hd-vdeck-zum-laufen-bringen.html ), I just decided to try shutting down that VDeck software, which the old version of never ran on Win 10 and the new one is specifically made for that OS (go figure!), et voila, I could turn up my mikes again. So I just went into my task manager, entered the autostart tab and disabled that thing altogether from starting on bootup. Don't seem to need it anyway, I just use that device for my headset which works without that tool as well.

Then I decided to try DCS again, but in Pancake first. Viper at Ramat David, ~95fps on the ground, no stutters when looking around. Neither when flying. Restart the sim in VR, same flight. Down to 22fps again, but smooth at least. As soon as I left the base, I was pretty much at 45fps, sometimes it went down to 40. Still smooth. Pretty much what I had in 1909.

Well... I still don't like their forced updates and those "hey, THAT does NOT run anymore now!" messages which made me replace the audio driver...

At least I could sort it rather quickly... could have spent days over days trying every single setting instead fsgrin.png

Why don't you use Windows 10 Pro? I have refused the 2004 update and will continue to do so for the time being.