Video Card Rumours

Changes. In the UK at least you can find RTX 3080 stock now if you aren’t too bothered about a specific manufacturer. Scan have stock that stays for a few hours rather than seconds… Prices are unacceptable though. RTX 3080 Ti and 3090 also available but insane prices, not just unacceptable…

🤦‍♂️ This is utterly disgusting..... 

Source: Sapphire, PowerColor and XFX send large shipment of Radeon graphics cards to cryptomining hardware retailer - VideoCardz.com

"The company has revealed it received a fresh shipment of PowerColor, Sapphire, and XFX graphics cards, none of which will be used for gaming. The retailer specializes in building cryptominig rigs and cryptofarms. They also offer ASICs for cryptomining, but the GPU mining rigs are where the money clearly is.

While the company also shared pictures of GeForce RTX and GTX models, their latest video shows tens of boxes featuring the latest mid-range to high-end Radeon SKUs such as RX 6700XT and even RX 6900 XT. The company also confirmed it received a shipment from XFX featuring Radeon RX 580 8GB model, which still has enough memory for Ethereum mining and other cryptcoins alike.

It is truly disgraceful behavior by distributors to deliver such a large number to companies specializing in building mining hardware when gamers are struggling to find cards in stock. Unfortunately, no serial codes were shown, which makes it much harder to trace the source of the shipment. However, we believe that those are involved in this procedure should be named regardless of how those cards have ended up at this warehouse."

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

🤦‍♂️ This is utterly disgusting..... 

Source: Sapphire, PowerColor and XFX send large shipment of Radeon graphics cards to cryptomining hardware retailer - VideoCardz.com

"The company has revealed it received a fresh shipment of PowerColor, Sapphire, and XFX graphics cards, none of which will be used for gaming. The retailer specializes in building cryptominig rigs and cryptofarms. They also offer ASICs for cryptomining, but the GPU mining rigs are where the money clearly is.

While the company also shared pictures of GeForce RTX and GTX models, their latest video shows tens of boxes featuring the latest mid-range to high-end Radeon SKUs such as RX 6700XT and even RX 6900 XT. The company also confirmed it received a shipment from XFX featuring Radeon RX 580 8GB model, which still has enough memory for Ethereum mining and other cryptcoins alike.

It is truly disgraceful behavior by distributors to deliver such a large number to companies specializing in building mining hardware when gamers are struggling to find cards in stock. Unfortunately, no serial codes were shown, which makes it much harder to trace the source of the shipment. However, we believe that those are involved in this procedure should be named regardless of how those cards have ended up at this warehouse."

I know this is an unpopular point, but we live in a free market. Sellers are in business to make a profit and no one has a right to their merchandise. The disappointing truth is that those crypto miners likely paid a hefty premium to buy those cards, whereas most of us gamers seem to balk at paying anything over MSRP.

11 hours ago, Cab said:

I know this is an unpopular point, but we live in a free market. Sellers are in business to make a profit and no one has a right to their merchandise. The disappointing truth is that those crypto miners likely paid a hefty premium to buy those cards, whereas most of us gamers seem to balk at paying anything over MSRP.

I understand free-market, supply and demand, capitalism, and all that. But this is a very different matter.

Remember, these are products developed, built, announced and sold as gaming GPUs into the market.

If you have AIBs (i.e, the brands that produce GPUs specifically for gaming) having their distributors sending shipments directly to mining businesses by the buckload, when computer stores face scarcity all around the globe and, because of that, at outrageous prices (of course, they too want a slice of the pie) as there's too few GPUs at such high demand from gamers, then this becomes a matter of great concern.

It also paints AMD very bad in the scenario, because it reveals that they're either in ignorance, or they're completely aware and not reprimending the AIBs (something that Nvidia does to all AIB partners, hence why companies like EVGA are so cherished by the community), at same time they announce to their shareholders and to the media that they "never sold as many GPUs to gamers as we do today" (and then raising MRSP as knee jerk reflex), which is not really the truth - most AMD GPUs are ending in the hands of mining businesses, big and small. 

Check the latest Steam surveys on GPUs used by gamers: Nvidia RTX3090s are really low in percentage, yet in much bigger number than ALL the AMD RX6000 series combined!

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

2 hours ago, LucShep said:

I understand free-market, supply and demand, capitalism, and all that. But this is a very different matter.

Remember, these are products developed, built, announced and sold as gaming GPUs into the market.

If you have AIBs (i.e, the brands that produce GPUs specifically for gaming) having their distributors sending shipments directly to mining businesses by the buckload, when computer stores face scarcity all around the globe and, because of that, raising prices to outrageous price tags (of course, they too want a slice of the pie) as there's too few GPUs at such high demand from gamers, then this becomes a matter of great concern.

It also paints AMD very bad in the scenario, because it reveals that they're either in ignorance, or they're completely aware and not reprimending the AIBs (something that Nvidia does to all AIB partners, hence why companies like EVGA are so cherished by the community), at same time they announce to their shareholders and to the media that they "never sold as many GPUs to gamers as we do today" (and then raising MRSP as knee jerk reflex), which is not really the truth - most AMD GPUs are ending in the hands of mining business, big and small. 

Check the latest Steam surveys on GPUs used by gamers: Nvidia RTX3090s are really low in percentage, yet in much bigger number than ALL the AMD RX6000 series combined!

Oh, I get it. You're mad. I'm mad. Everyone's mad. But there isn't much that can be done about it.

We can say it makes the manufactures/distributers/retailers look bad but so what? As soon as the stocks increase and prices come down gamers are going to buy what whatever is available. So in the end it will be a win-win for the sellers.

2 hours ago, Cab said:

Oh, I get it. You're mad. I'm mad. Everyone's mad. But there isn't much that can be done about it.

We can say it makes the manufactures/distributers/retailers look bad but so what? As soon as the stocks increase and prices come down gamers are going to buy what whatever is available. So in the end it will be a win-win for the sellers.

There is something we can do, but not many doing it, which is TO NOT BUY GPUS AT THESE RIDICULOUS PRICES. 

Which would force piles of unsold GPUs in the shelves of plenty hardware stores and vendors, sending a clear message to manufacturers who keep on playing coy.

But the reality is that too many people feel their gaming hobbie justifies paying ultra mega inflated prices, and go for it regardless.

....which just enforces the decision of manufacturers, of stores/vendors, and anyone else selling GPUs, in keeping cost going up, instead of going down.

And no, contrary to early predictions, the prices are not expected to go lower anywhere soon. Quite on the contrary.

The mining farms that were shut in China went elsewhere, and there is more than just Ethereum in mining, so other coins will keep on being profitable even if one or two of them goes down - mining is here to stay, now it won't go away.

More over, the chip manufacturers (TSMC, Global Foundries, etc) are to increase manufacturing costs.

The last gleam of hope is Intel new GPUs, which will have to be affordable in the beggining.

But if they're also good at mining....... 

So, for all we know, it could be 2023 untill there is any relief in stock to force lower prices. 

Meanwhile, and until then, PC gaming is stalling.

NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards are again becoming more expensive - VideoCardz.com

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, LucShep said:

There is something we can do, but not many doing it, which is TO NOT BUY GPUS AT THESE RIDICULOUS PRICES. 

Which would force piles of unsold GPUs in the shelves of plenty hardware stores and vendors, sending a clear message to manufacturers who keep on playing coy.

Won't work, miners will just buy them. You have to understand that even right now, a dinky RX 5700XT will generate $128 a month profit on nicehash (which takes a decent cut) with $0.1 kW/h cost. Hell, even my laptop's RTX 2070 can generate over $100 a month. Mining is going no where, the supply of GPU's is not even remotely close to demand and with mining being as profitable as it is at the moment, the gaming GPU market is basically non-existent. Virtually all cards are for mining. The core problem is the chip manufacturers were running at capacity prior to COVID and then demand went up dramatically from everyone working at home. Throw in some supply disruptions from lockdowns and an unexpected mining boom and we have what we currently have. The only solution is to build new chip factories, but those take years to build. Some are in progress, but I've heard they are expected to come online in around 3-4 years. So this problem is here to stay.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

Won't work, miners will just buy them. You have to understand that even right now, a dinky RX 5700XT will generate $128 a month profit on nicehash (which takes a decent cut) with $0.1 kW/h cost. Hell, even my laptop's RTX 2070 can generate over $100 a month. Mining is going no where, the supply of GPU's is not even remotely close to demand and with mining being as profitable as it is at the moment, the gaming GPU market is basically non-existent. Virtually all cards are for mining. The core problem is the chip manufacturers were running at capacity prior to COVID and then demand went up dramatically from everyone working at home. Throw in some supply disruptions from lockdowns and an unexpected mining boom and we have what we currently have. The only solution is to build new chip factories, but those take years to build. Some are in progress, but I've heard they are expected to come online in around 3-4 years. So this problem is here to stay.

You're right. All in all, this whole thing is a product of "the perfect storm".

But I still think if it was a general movement by a big ammount of users (gamers, not miners), and if supported by the whole "youtube influencing" thing (popular ones being little more than glorified salesmen these days), perhaps something would make enough noise, loud enough, and something more drastic would have to be done by manufacturers.

But then, that's wishfull thinking at best.... 

And BTW:

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

On 9/2/2021 at 4:22 PM, LucShep said:

You're right. All in all, this whole thing is a product of "the perfect storm".

But I still think if it was a general movement by a big ammount of users (gamers, not miners), and if supported by the whole "youtube influencing" thing (popular ones being little more than glorified salesmen these days), perhaps something would make enough noise, loud enough, and something more drastic would have to be done by manufacturers.

But then, that's wishfull thinking at best.... 

And BTW:

"Dear fellows and felines" Thank you for including the latter. DCS have more so called 'felines' than you men would give credit for. Who is in charge of DCS by the way ! Yes, it's feline. What is driving DCS forward is a female. It would be nice that you include your feline members as equal and help to promote equality rather than TOKEN. Why I don't use multiplayer is the stereotype 'oh it's woman' and automatically reduced as being stupid. Things have not changed much i my lifetime. 

• 2 weeks later...

"CRASH" How a Chinese Construction Company (Evergrande) could bring GPU Prices Down.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

On 9/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, cordite said:

I find it hard to believe there are/were *that* many people working from home. And that shouldn’t really affect gpu supply, anyway.

I suspect demand for these high end gaming GPUs was relatively small previously. During lockdown and furlough people had the time and money to get into high end PC gaming. No holidays, no hospitality, no entertainment and wages still being paid leaves people with a lot of disposable time and income it seems.

I do wonder who’s paying £2500 for a 3090 though 🤨

Crypto currencies will run amuck for the rest of this year, and so will the demand for the GPU's. Youll better off waiting for next year for the new generation which will be a huge leap in performance.

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

5 hours ago, Mogster said:

I suspect demand for these high end gaming GPUs was relatively small previously. During lockdown and furlough people had the time and money to get into high end PC gaming. No holidays, no hospitality, no entertainment and wages still being paid leaves people with a lot of disposable time and income it seems.…

If they were working from home, they were still getting paid, but they only gained commuting time plus a bit, and saved related expense. The gamers among them were probably waiting to upgrade anyway. 

The ones on furlough and maybe getting gov relief cheques, probably had to delay upgrading.

5 hours ago, Pilotasso said:

Crypto currencies will run amuck for the rest of this year, and so will the demand for the GPU's. Youll better off waiting for next year for the new generation which will be a huge leap in performance.

Unless supply constraints and awful crypto are still a problem.

yes, there's a semiconductor supply issue which was aggravated by the mining situation, but neither can last forever. Also the cough-cough seems to be not so scary anymore so I expect supply to gradually improve at the same time as we move into a crypto bear market next year.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

• 4 weeks later...

I only check UK 3080/3090 stock and prices but depressingly both seem to actually be worse than a few months ago 🤨

It seems high end GPUs are now crypto mining cards that are very occasionally used for gaming… I don’t see how this can be anything other than a disaster for home PC building and PC gaming. If I can’t buy a GPU then I also don’t need a new CPU, SSD, RAM, mainboard… 

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

If I can’t buy a GPU then I also don’t need a new CPU, SSD, RAM, mainboard… 

Exactly. But looking that even Intel has no intention for blocking crypto mining in their next video card line up (https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-arc-graphics-cards-will-not-have-a-built-in-crypto-mining-lock.html), i guess more money is made from people buying stuff for mining then there is made from money made by gamers. And let money be the only thing that counts. In the end, something will break.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

13 hours ago, Mower said:

Wait until a certain degenerate Bad Actor nation moves on Taiwan and then see where prices go...better buy now if you  can.

Not funny but LOL!

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, Mogster said:

Is it crypto though really? I’m still not convinced.

NV 4000 will be 2023 probably, maybe big energy demand.

Yes. I have both my laptop (RTX 2070) and desktop (RTX 2080 Super) mining around half the day. If I had them both running 24/7 since January, both would have paid for the entire systems several times over by now. And these aren't mining rigs, just an ordinary gaming PC and gaming laptop from 2 years ago. Wonder who's paying $2500 for a GPU? It's people who expect to profit by $200+ per month off it. That may not sound like much, but think about it, over the course of a year you will make $2400 and still have a high end GPU at the end of it that you could keep using or resell. Even an ancient RX 480 from ages ago is profitable to mine with. Estimated profits are around $50 a month. Run it for 5 months and it will generate more money than it cost brand new when it first came out. Think about that.

Obvious question is how long this can last and for that I have no idea. It will either collapse entirely or just go on seemingly forever. Given the history of crypto, I suspect it isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

1 hour ago, BeastyBaiter said:

Yes. I have both my laptop (RTX 2070) and desktop (RTX 2080 Super) mining around half the day. If I had them both running 24/7 since January, both would have paid for the entire systems several times over by now. And these aren't mining rigs, just an ordinary gaming PC and gaming laptop from 2 years ago. Wonder who's paying $2500 for a GPU? It's people who expect to profit by $200+ per month off it. That may not sound like much, but think about it, over the course of a year you will make $2400 and still have a high end GPU at the end of it that you could keep using or resell. Even an ancient RX 480 from ages ago is profitable to mine with. Estimated profits are around $50 a month. Run it for 5 months and it will generate more money than it cost brand new when it first came out. Think about that.

Obvious question is how long this can last and for that I have no idea. It will either collapse entirely or just go on seemingly forever. Given the history of crypto, I suspect it isn't going anywhere.

I am convinced now… This situation has gone on too long.

factor in the kW/h price that one pays.  What pays in Texas might not pay in Denmark and for sure not in Germany where electricity is so damn expensive.

But true, I used my 1080ti for mining back the extra money I paid for when I got it "overpriced" ( you would now call this a bargain I guess ). Actually, if I had kept the BC I amde with it

I could have made a few Grand off of it but I sold mine when they were 6-8k€...crying doesnt help.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Same, I used to be a small time miner. I kept some of my lesser known alt coins but the main stuff got sold off years ago. Made a few $1000 off it but if I had just sat on it, I'd of made 10x that. I keep thinking it's just a bubble and it will burst. And so far, I've been right every time but then it jumps right back to the "bubble" amount a few months later and then repeats with a new bubble value. I don't know where this is going, there is no value in most crypto currencies and yet they keep going up. It doesn't seem like a fad anymore but there still isn't any value outside the privacy coins. And those both the banking system and governments hate with a passion, for the obvious reasons. So I just don't know. Right now I'm sitting on a few alt coins and the new bitcoin I'm getting through nicehash. Maybe some day that few hundred bucks worth of crap coins I have will be worth millions.