Video Card Rumours

Latest I've heard is that the 3090 is the replacement for the Titan.

I have seen zero reference to a 3080Ti.

The 3080 is what I'm eyeing to replace my 2070 Super but still fully intend to wait and see what AMD has coming in Oct-Nov. Rumours are 12GB VRAM. I'm hoping for more and will wait and see what AMD does.

Interesting times.

Concur. Even if I decide not to get whatever AMD brings to the table, it sounds like it should be competitive enough to drive NVidia prices down, so it’s a win for everyone,

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Latest I've heard is that the 3090 is the replacement for the Titan.

I have seen zero reference to a 3080Ti.

The 3080 is what I'm eyeing to replace my 2070 Super but still fully intend to wait and see what AMD has coming in Oct-Nov. Rumours are 12GB VRAM. I'm hoping for more and will wait and see what AMD does.

Interesting times.

I'll be eyeing the 3080 super but this.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I'm a poor sap but the 3060 is more my style. Would it be much of an upgrade for my present 1060 6g? It gives me 80-100fps at my settings when more of less alone. Less with lots of action but still smooth. No shadows or VR.

Buzz

In short, we'll need new PSU's? plus a 12 pin connector to these cards?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

In short, we'll need new PSU's? plus a 12 pin connector to these cards?

Depends...

Rumours for adapters and such are out there. Really depends on whether your PSU has extra capacity or not and whether it is a well supported platform or a modular unit or whatever. Wait and see is the thing to do for now.

I'm very leery of that 12 pin power connector being end-mounted as in the leaked pics . Looks easily breakable to me .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Depends...

Rumours for adapters and such are out there. Really depends on whether your PSU has extra capacity or not and whether it is a well supported platform or a modular unit or whatever. Wait and see is the thing to do for now.

Indeed, nothing more can be done until the announcement and things are confirmed...

The bulkier cards with that 12 pin conector will came with one in the box. (For 2x8 pin adapter).

No need to change your PSU in case you allready had enough power from it.

Hoping my 750W has enough headway... :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

aaaand here come the first teasers by Nvidia..... :book:

source: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-showcases-geforce-rtx-30-series-in-a-teaser-video

A new video posted by NVIDIA revealed that the series will in fact feature the rumored 12-pin power connector. This connector will occupy less space than the traditional dual 8-pin configuration. The new connector will not require a new PSU, as it will be compatible with existing 8-pin power cables. This applies to Founders Edition cards only, as board partners are likely to use traditional connectors instead.

NVIDIA has also confirmed that its next-generation graphics cards will feature irregularly-shaped PCB design. This has been rumored back in January and it has been somewhat confirmed when the RTX 3080 pictures have leaked. This video confirms that the PCB will have this shape.

The teaser also shows the GPU, but it is not possible to draw any conclusions on GPU specifications. The PCB components are visibly placed much closer to each other than a previous generation NVIDIA graphics cards.

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-Teasers-2-1200x675.jpg NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-Teasers-1-1200x675.jpg NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-Teasers-4-1200x675.jpg NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-Teasers-3-1200x675.jpg

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

...oh and more on Nvidia RTX3000 series, following previous post:

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/confirmed-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-has-24gb-memory-rtx-3080-gets-10gb

Confirmed: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 has 24GB memory, RTX 3080 gets 10GB

We have just confirmed the memory specifications for the upcoming Ampere GeForce graphics cards.

So far only the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 have been confirmed. The information has been confirmed through our sources at AIBs. It is based on the product codenames that we received.

First of all, there is no RTX 3080 Ti (at least not yet). NVIDIA is really launching the RTX 3090 instead.

This graphics card will feature 24GB of GDDR6X memory, the same capacity as current generation TITAN RTX.

The GeForce RTX 3080 has been confirmed with 10GB GDDR6X memory.

This is a lot less than RTX 3090, but what this means is that there is room for RTX 3080 SUPER with 16GB in the future.

There is no mention of RTX 3080 20GB yet.

We only have the capacities confirmed, but we can assume that RTX 3090 features a 384-bit bus and RTX 3080 gets 320-bit.

The memory speeds for both cards are expected to be at least 19 Gbps.

NVIDIA will announce RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 on September 1st. We have heard that RTX 3070 will also be shown.

The announcement will stick to the basic information such as specs and pricing. More details will be revealed during special press-only events after the announcement.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I was willing to buy a new GFX more or less twice as fast as my 3 year old 1080Ti for the same amount of money and incredibly this isn't it. I would only be able to buy a 3070 but it has less cuda cores and less VRAM. ooph Let's see what AMD brings later on the year.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I was willing to buy a new GFX more or less twice as fast as my 3 year old 1080Ti for the same amount of money and incredibly this isn't it. I would only be able to buy a 3070 but it has less cuda cores and less VRAM. ooph Let's see what AMD brings later on the year.

Think on that: twice as fast and for the same amount of money?

Why Nvidia would do that?

Yes: you allready explain why: because of the competition.

I think Nvidia is in a hurry to sell as many cards as they can in advance of RDNA2 and then adjust the price (or give us an unexpected amount of extra performance to mantain the price... That had happened before too).

We used to get same MSRP at launch as the previous generation. It seems to be over since the 2000 series.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Some interesting NVIDIA and AMD GPU notes in this video.

I'm really starting to think taking a wait and see attitude is best.

Clocks are not at 2000MHz yet and in spite of that the cards are being over driven electrically and there is a warning disclaimer about heat on the back plate.

Wait for the more refined "Super" version of the NVIDIA cards me thinks.

This could be a golden opportunity for AMD if they can pull it off with respect to good compute power and possible a good balance between power and compute if they can't outright beat NVIDIA. If they are within 10% or so...

I don't have a horse in this game - run both NVIDIA and AMD on my computers but everyone loves an underdog.

Clocks are not at 2000MHz yet and in spite of that the cards are being over driven electrically and there is a warning disclaimer about heat on the back plate.

Wait for the more refined "Super" version of the NVIDIA cards me thinks.

This could be a golden opportunity for AMD if they can pull it off with respect to good compute power and possible a good balance between power and compute if they can't outright beat NVIDIA. If they are within 10% or so...

I don't have a horse in this game - run both NVIDIA and AMD on my computers but everyone loves an underdog.

Yep, fully agree!

I too think Nvidia will come up with "Super" (or "Ti") versions later for the for the 3080 and 3070, as I think their VRAM ammount and clocks seem a bit too low for what would be expected at this point (?).

And surely that'll benefit AMD, rumoured to have 12GB and 16GB RAM for their next Navi2 GPUs, TBA around November.

One thing I'd like to point out is the fact that AMD is known to not use the kind of compression for VRAM stored items that Nvidia does use.

This means that -at least currently- there's usually more VRAM being used with AMD cards compared to Nvidia.

For example, in DCS I can testify this. Where I've seen my previous GTX1070 use ~5.7GB of VRAM, I see my RX5700XT use ~6.8GB VRAM, with same exact settings. So, about 20% (+/-) more VRAM being used by AMD (compared to Nvidia).

But the upside seems to be better image quality with AMD GPUs (I find it quite noticeable, others may disagree), which may very well explain why not using such compression.

If this is confirmed to continue, I'm sticking with AMD for my next GPU, for sure.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

Yes: I´ve said that a couple of times before: let the dust settle down first and see what happens.

New consoles, CPUs, GPUs, VR headsets, DCS core.... It´s just too much to make an anticipated decision.

I will upgrade my laptop with a Tiger Lake ultrabook (or maybe wait a little to the information on the new AMD ones), but on PC desktop side: I´ll wait untill fall 2021 and 5 nm. That will be my sweet spot.

Yep, fully agree!

I too think Nvidia will come up with "Super" (or "Ti") versions later for the for the 3080 and 3070, as I think their VRAM ammount and clocks seem a bit too low for what would be expected at this point (?).

Rumours seem to be that there will be no 'Super' or 'Ti' cards this go round. Recall those were only announced to counter AMD's releases and price drops. Nvidia seems much better prepared this time around, although I to am hoping that AMD drops a few bombshells, and soon. Again, just because Afterburner shows 'usage' doesn't mean it's actual usage and not just reserved. Stutters tell the true story.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

And there is space for a 3080 with more memory too. (Call it super or Ti).

Let´s see the street prices because at MSRP prices I don´t think there will much competition. (Just the new consoles, and I think That was the reasoning on those low MSRP prices).

People will struggle trying to sell those 2080Ti on second hand, LOL.

Yes: I´ve said that a couple of times before: let the dust settle down first and see what happens.

New consoles, CPUs, GPUs, VR headsets, DCS core.... It´s just too much to make an anticipated decision.

I will upgrade my laptop with a Tiger Lake ultrabook (or maybe wait a little to the information on the new AMD ones), but on PC desktop side: I´ll wait untill fall 2021 and 5 nm. That will be my sweet spot.

That's sort of where I'm heading, though I'm on the back end of the 1080 TI cycle, so would like to get upgraded soon.

On the one hand, the numbers nVidia is showing are absolutely impressive, on the other hand, I don't see how they could have doubled the cuda core count for only a 50% increase in transistor count. If the 3090 is really double the performance of the 2080 Ti, I'm ok spending $1500 on it launch day, but I want to see the 3080 benchmarks first.

No: prices are growing each generation (at least on the top card)

In that regard, it would've made more sense for the 2080ti to be $800 as opposed to $1200+. There was only a $50 jump from the 980ti to the 1080ti, but the 980ti was $50 less than the 780ti. So it's not unreasonable to expect a performance jump for the same price between generations. Nvidia needed to make up for over producing Pascal, along with new consoles looming and having no competition. In no way should anyone really consider it sensible to pay 88% more for 35% more performance. Especially considering how quickly these thing become superseded.

Also, don't forget, the 980 TI had competition from the Radeon cards at the time, and the 1080 TI released when everyone was expecting Vega to be groundbreaking. nVidia was only able to charge what they were for the 2080 Ti because AMD didn't have anything that could seriously compete with the 1070, much less the 1080 for years.

Even with the RDNA1 cards, AMD has not, yet, released anything that meets or beats the 1080 Ti.

More speculation on AMD RDNA2 (and Big Navi)...

Spoiler

The thing is, right now, even with VR,

NO BODY NEEDS a RTX 3090 Except to get the Highest Benchmark Scores.

RTX3080 will run 4K just fine and even 8K (Samsung QLED800/900 TVs). w/ DLSS2.0.

The Price jump between the two is 200%... $699 ->$1499+

You think AMD care's about wasting fabrication resources on a HUGE GPU that's gonna only sell to benchers?

That same GPU, that will yield maybe 5 or 6 GPUs per wafer, where as a Mid-Tier would yield 40-50+ per wafer (rough example estimates, I'd have to get the new wafer size and die sizes for accurate numbers).

and those same Mid-Tier GPU's would outsell the Top Tier GPU 500+:1 if not more.

an AMD 3080 Equiv rDNA2 would be optimal, but no one needs a RTX3090 or Equivalent.

And by time we get to a place where the Performance number of the RTX3090 is relevant, we'll be 2 generations later and the new GPUs will be faster and use less power.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs