Brightness and Contrast slider in the GUI

MonnieRock

Brightness and Contrast slider in the GUI  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Brightness and Contrast slider in the GUI

• Yes, I would like a Brightness and Contrast slider in the GUI
    • No. Happy using Gamma to control Brightness even though it changes the colors

Please vote in the poll if you would like Brightness and Contrast Sliders in the GUI instead of using Gamma to control Brightness.

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Don't need that times 3 on my computer thanks,

I have one with monitor user interface,

There is one in GPU driver settings,

There even might be one in windows settings too, not sure,

why would I need one in game as well?

Yes - differences in VR headsets could use more tweaking in this area.

Also having them in-game solves the in/out alt-tab BS for a faster adjustment.

Keymapped in addition to sliders would make it even more useful in-cockpit.

EDIT: And if you're going to do sliders, make them adjustable with the mouse wheel for a change.

Should be a requirement in the world.

Also - changing these things outside of the game changes the brightness for the entire PC not just DCS.

I think it's better if we can just adjust inside of DCS and not throw all other games out of whack.

Edited by Thudster

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

God yes it needs it!

Stange though that it never needed it in the past, yet recently they changed the lighting, the lighting they say is how it should be and is realistic, yet when you set the black sea map to 8am in march and your retinas are burned out in your vr headset.

You mean when they increased the suns power and then later had to release bug fixes to aircraft mfds, rather than reducing the sun to something realistic. You mean the sunlight where white hot bruning flares you drop are invisible and you only see the smoke trail they leave behind?

Could that be why it's suddenly needed?

Strange that. Almost like they only need to reduce the ambient lighting to what it was, but that would mean admitting fault.

Please vote in the poll if you would like Brightness and Contrast Sliders in the GUI instead of using Gamma to control Brightness.

Gamma does not control brightness (the range between black and white) or contrast (the movement of that range up and down the grayscale). Gamma adjusts the curve of the change.

Use your PC graphics card to adjust brightness and contrast because most PC monitors don’t adjust this correctly. TVs will.

CBD580A1-26F0-4894-9CAD-C91B98DCC553.jpeg.ab6cddd1db0ceb76731c2939fddaee49.jpeg

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Gamma does not control brightness (the range between black and white) or contrast (the movement of that range up and down the grayscale). Gamma adjusts the curve of the change.

Correct.

When customers say DCS is too bright, the customers are being told by Eagle Dynamics staff to turn the Gamma down below 2.2 when we should be using a brightness adjustment.

When people have calibrated their monitors/gpu, and other games/applications are suitable, there is no reason to make global adjustments just because DCS does not have a brightness adjustment opinion. Hence my poll and suggestion.

As well as for VR users, different HMD's have different panel tech so a brightness adjustment within DCS is needed.

Thank you,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Those sliders could be useful for VR since at least the Oculus devices don't allow for any adjustment at all which is a shame. Nothing applies to them and the driver / windows settings are bound to a certain screen as always.

But NOT instead of gamma. Leave that be! General rule that's often being defied by the major companies nowadays applies here: More options is always better!

Keymapped in addition to sliders would make it even more useful in-cockpit.

EDIT: And if you're going to do sliders, make them adjustable with the mouse wheel for a change.

Should be a requirement in the world.

Man I do miss my good old ATI Tray Tool, that had the key mappings. Best tool ever. nVidia and the 3rd party tools do literally suck here.

But TBH I hate it when I accidently change sliders with the mouse wheel and don't even notice it when scrolling in the few programs where that is implemented. Such a pain in the plot! Needs to be tied to a focus on the slider, so when you click it first, it gets activated, and as soon as you click somewhere else, it won't move anymore. Just like the cursor keys.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg