Stuck at the first mission

There is something off this mission and that is if this would be in real-life the Hornet pilot would probably just eject when he would see the two air-to-air missiles coming (also on the first try I didn't see it, I was dead a second after the guy said "Oh my god.."..).

But lets go on from there...

Since this is a game-like mission, for me the biggest disappointment is when I have to restart the mission knowing what's going to happen and still getting killed on the retry!

The fact that the Su-25s are immortal long after they fire their rockets is a problem too (they should be immortal until they fire their air-to-ground rockets).

I tried arming myself with a few Aim9xs and figured out that they are immortal the hard way.

Also the Su-25s start to dog fight against a hornet, really? They should just get the hell out which would give the player a good chase :D.

I try to be constructive as I can be (I know how criticism hurts being a professional game developer for about 20 years) but something's got to change here IMHO.

(I've played the whole SH1 campaign a few days ago and it was good, GJ!)

Constructive comments are always welcome as I have said above it will help me fine tune the missions to account for how different pilots fly the missions.

In the detailed description of the campaign which has now been issued on the DCS site I explain that I am not attempting to create reality. Just as in SH1 create an engaging set of missions linked together by a story line.

I take your point on the immortal issue I will look at doing that i.e. lose it just after they fire the missiles. The AI can be a bit temperamental though.

The enemy aircraft should leave if your not in the way or attack them. If you do they will defend themselves but a Hornet should be more than a match for them.

People are easily defeating the enemy aircraft with the gun. It is all about being aware that if your in the way they will fire at you and the fact there are two of them so positioning and gun accuracy is everything.

Getting the right balance of difficulty can be difficult as some are finding it very easy. There is no doubt the second campaign has raised the bar a bit as it is a progression from SH1

But thanks for your comments they are appreciated and I will bear them in mind when making amendments.

Edited by Glyn
correction after info added to DCS site

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

It could be that you spent too long on the carrier. You could have got the final message too early and didn't notice it. The instruction to take off is about one and a half minutes into the mission. If you are still on the carrier stopped at the eight and half minute point then this could cause the issue whilst you are changing the load out? Try going when you get the clearance. I have noted your comment and will amend the mission to account for this type of delay. Other than that I am not sure what it could be as others are completing without a problem including myself.

Thanks for your comments they are appreciated. I can use them to fine tune things to account for how others fly the mission.

That may be the issue....I went out for a smoke while it was rearming so i was sat on the boat for ages :D

When i went back in to the campaign, it moved me onto the next mission :) I must have just missed the ending message or something

Onward and upward :)

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Just tried the first mission myself, and even though I knew roughly what was going to happen I decided to concentrate on giving those folks a damn good air display. Which I was fully focused on doing when that guy suddenly shouted something... I moved to switch the Master Arm on and -boom- already dead.

So... I don't know, maybe make the guy's warning come a bit earlier? Or.. get the Su-25s to focus only on the crowd to begin with as that seems to be their primary mission. But currently I had absolutely no time to react before I was hit with 2 Aphids.

There's also the issue with the R-60s themselves, in that I doubt most people, on their first run through, will have bothered to set up their countermeasures (which can be a bit of chore in the Hornet). Hell, I forgot to turn the whole system on! Haha. So maybe a warning in the briefing to set up a flare programme?

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Also the problem with those missiles is that if you don't see them you wont know that they are coming, especially if you're not looking directly at them or are turned the other way during the acrobatics.

So even if you have the countermeasures and master arm both on you must see them coming... or you're dead.

But if you tell the player, "Be sure to enable CM etc etc", then the player already knows that something is going to happen and it will ruin the suprise IMHO.

:pilotfly:

I suffered the same fate twice. On the third attempt I made sure to do my display and spend the latter half north of the airfiled moreso. The Su25's came in, devastated the crowd and I just turned behind them and followed them away from the runway and then took them both out with guns, it was actually very straightforward, but perhaps I got lucky....

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I'm not able to complete the first mission. Both enemy aircraft stay invulnerable long after they first attack the Airshow.

There is a track attached. This was my 3rd attempt at the mission, all with same results. I even made myself invincible during this last attempt and crashed into one of the aircraft, it stayed alive.

Edit: Track too large to attach.

Edited by MacEwan
Track too large to attach

I suffered the same fate twice. On the third attempt I made sure to do my display and spend the latter half north of the airfiled moreso. The Su25's came in, devastated the crowd and I just turned behind them and followed them away from the runway and then took them both out with guns, it was actually very straightforward, but perhaps I got lucky....

Yes it is all about positioning.

Having listened to the difficulty some are having on what is after all the first mission I have worked on an update for Mission 1.

I have now adjusted the AI actions of SU25's, made the attack warning a little earlier, removed their immunity just after they make their attack and removed the missiles so it will be a straight guns on guns fight. This does away with the problem of people having to be prewarned about getting their defence systems up. Oh and I also added a red smoke pod to Ford for the display. :)

Will have to feed this back to ED so not sure when it will be updated.

Edited by Glyn

That's really great to hear! Thank you! I've now tried the mission 7 times and been shot down each time... I think you've got to be very lucky to shoot down one early on so you get can quickly get behind the other. But if you end up on the defensive at any point or lose track of one (and given spotting in DCS, that isn't hard..) then you're basically done for.

More importantly.. what idiot decided the Hornet didn't need an MWS!? Haha.

Glyn - is there any way you could upload the new mission file for us? Sorry.. just enthusiastic to try out the whole campaign because I enjoyed the first :-D

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Yes it is all about positioning.

Having listened to the difficulty some are having on what is after all the first mission I have worked on an update for Mission 1.

I have now adjusted the AI actions of SU25's, made the attack warning a little earlier, removed their immunity just after they make their attack and removed the missiles so it will be a straight guns on guns fight. This does away with the problem of people having to be prewarned about getting their defence systems up. Oh and I also added a red smoke pod to Ford for the display. :)

Will have to feed this back to ED so not sure when it will be updated.

The final point in the spoiler I think is genius! Thanks Glyn :thumbup:

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

That's really great to hear! Thank you! I've now tried the mission 7 times and been shot down each time... I think you've got to be very lucky to shoot down one early on so you get can quickly get behind the other. But if you end up on the defensive at any point or lose track of one (and given spotting in DCS, that isn't hard..) then you're basically done for.

More importantly.. what idiot decided the Hornet didn't need an MWS!? Haha.

Glyn - is there any way you could upload the new mission file for us? Sorry.. just enthusiastic to try out the whole campaign because I enjoyed the first :-D

Sorry can't do this it has to go through the system :( Hopfully it will be out soon :thumbup:

I try 1st mission for 10th time... The SU25 just immortal. Yes I wait until the fire missiles on crowd then they break north... no matter what I'm doing, I'm out of bullets or I get killed by the wingman

Hi, you need to let them fly past the crowd before attacking them. As I indicated earlier in the thread I have now revised this Mission 1 to resolve the difficulties some are having. The updated mission file is with ED but I do not know when they will issue the update. Hopfully soon.

Edited by Glyn

I have tried this over 10 times, I let them flypast the crowd before attacking. I have tried everything. I even made myself immortal to try to kill them. they stay immortal no matter what.

Hopefully there is a fix soon.

Hi Solbaru. Have issued the updated mission files to ED so hopefully update will be soon. You should find things more straight forward then. What I cannot understand is how many have passed this mission? Which version are you using normal or easier air to air refuel.

Edited by Glyn

PROBLEMS WITH MISSION 1

Hi All

I have been having difficult reproducing the problems that many are having with mission1. So bought my own campaign to check out the issued file. Having now flown the released mission 1 it appears the mission 1 issued out was not in fact the latest version. The mission shouldn't have been that difficult. This probably explains why I have not been able to reproduce.

As I have indicated previously I have updated the mission in any event and this has been passed to ED to be included in an update. Hopefully soon. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glyn, Just confirming I had the same issue on mission one. I think I hit one SU25 with about 8 bursts and although those Frogfoots are like old Russian tanks I thought that something was wrong. I did some forum searching and found this post. Sounds like you are across the issue and and have changed it. Thanks for looking into fixing it and I look forward to playing the rest of the campaign hopefully after the next DCS update. Cheers

Hi Glyn, Just confirming I had the same issue on mission one. I think I hit one SU25 with about 8 bursts and although those Frogfoots are like old Russian tanks I thought that something was wrong. I did some forum searching and found this post. Sounds like you are across the issue and and have changed it. Thanks for looking into fixing it and I look forward to playing the rest of the campaign hopefully after the next DCS update. Cheers

Yes all revised. I have done a number of updates to various missions addressing all the points raised by fellow pilots. There is nothing like lots of different pilots flying your missions to tease out any issues. Mission 1 was slightly different as the version issued out was not really the final version. Updates will be out soon hopefully but I am in EDs hands. Should be all good then :thumbup:

Edited by Glyn

• 4 weeks later...