TDC slew / depress

Tmi

Hello!

Just received my Super Taurus throttle recently and i like it so far. However, there is a small problem with slewing the the TDC cursor while the TDC depress button is pressed down.

If i move the slew switch reeeeally slowly and close to the center position of the axis, the button (usually) stays depressed. Any fast movement and/or movement to the edges of either Y or X axis, the button wont stay depressed.

Is this a hardware limitation or do i have a faulty unit? Can anyone test how their TDC slewing works while the hat switch is pressed down?

Mine behaves the same way, it doesn't stay depressed. Not sure if this is intended, but yeah I have to uncheck realistic slew--prefer the easy slew anyway.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Wow, I never realized this... it explains a lot, though.

I've just confirmed this in the VPC joystick tester. As soon as the TDC is moved away from center, the button press disengages.

I've just gone through a Windows reinstall and chose not to install SimAppPro this time because the throttle remembers my backlight setting. Can either of you check in the program and see if there's a way to correct this behavior?

Unfortunately I don't see a way to do any Joystick Gremlin voodoo to fix this since the system is seeing the button disengage... this would probably have to be corrected in firmware. If it can't, it may very well be a hardware limitation.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Mine stays depressed no matter how fast i move the slew around.

The slew will not go fully right when depressed though. only goes half way.

Now i know theirs easy slew i will just use that i think.

Always feel like i'm going to damage it moving it while its depressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem with my Winwing when i first received it. Turns out the plastic "neck" on the actual TDC slew stick was too long and hitting the sides of the housing when moving in certain directions. Joystick it just like a PS4 or Xbox joystick, so I popped the TDC joystick portion off, file down the neck till it cleared all sides of the housing while depressed and no more issues.

• Thanks 1

I took a risk by doing it, I suppose, but I just did the same thing. I popped the finger slew off the TDC and ran it over some 100 grit sandpaper several times, a little bit at a time, until I got it just right.

Now the TDC depress stays engaged when slewing all the way around the X and Y axes.

Thanks, @JRMITCH!

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

So you can just pull it out directly and pop it back in? Thinking about doing mine.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I gently pried it off with a small flathead screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

TDC slew / depress

Thanks, the cap itself was fairly easy to pop off. And the stalk is just attached to the moving mechanism.

I fixed it differently from you guys. From my perspective, this is the exact same problem that plaqued the first batch of Valve Index controller thumbsticks with clicking issues. The rod isn't long enough to maintain the switch hold at the periphery with the cap on it, but when you push it directly without the cap the problem goes away. So I just stuffed the hole inside the cap with paper in my case. This way the cap will stick out a little more but will be able to maintain switch hold at all extreme directions.

8ba34ae6ffb34e1eb6a51a0b9773ef3c.jpg

Edited by Supmua
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had the same issue, where the motion area was very limited, especially when depressed. Thanks to this thread I could fix it. I 3D printed a new button and now the button works perfectly. You can download it here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4714041

Interesting. I just tested mine and depressed or not, I had the full axis range. Quality control issue with the shape/size of the hat? Or installation of the mini-stick? Or possibly substitution of parts to keep production going and one part has a slightly shorter stem than the other?

I am keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood, but so far I haven't had any of the various minor electrical and mechanical problems with the WinWing throttle, startup panel, takeoff panel, or combat panel. I can't really say much about the stick quality/reliability because I only tried it out for a week or two before reverting to the VKB Gunfighter, but it didn't have any problems during its brief use either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]