moving targets

joojoo

It really is like looking through a straw and takes a lot of practice.

Getting higher and farther will let you see more area. Also playing with the Gain on the FLIR can help hot objects stand out more against the background. Also try to get you head out of the cockpit, in many cases if you're already close and low in the search area you won't need the TGP and it will actually be more difficult than looking out with your own eyes.

Lastly, you can always try out some of the label mods that provide a subtle dot label without making things too obvious to spot.

Get familiar with the area. This is hard to do in DCS with all towns looking similar with same buildings but know each town. Know their names and roads going in and out. Then the briefing will make a lot more sense on what those convoys are doing and find them along the expected route.

It can be incredibly frustrating trying to locate ground targets, if i get stuck i turn on labels and off again. I just think of it as extra spotters on the ground. Spotting infantry is impossible without the zoom functions and labels.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

• 3 weeks later...
It can be incredibly frustrating trying to locate ground targets, if i get stuck i turn on labels and off again. I just think of it as extra spotters on the ground. Spotting infantry is impossible without the zoom functions and labels.

Do you toggle labels on and off during the session? How do you do that? Do you have to pause the mission or can you bind it to a key stroke? If you can bind it to a key stroke and turn on and off with out pausing the action I might do that. I want realism.. but sometimes I get stuck and rely on the label "dots".... but I'd like to get used to not having to do that.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Do you toggle labels on and off during the session? How do you do that? Do you have to pause the mission or can you bind it to a key stroke? If you can bind it to a key stroke and turn on and off with out pausing the action I might do that. I want realism.. but sometimes I get stuck and rely on the label "dots".... but I'd like to get used to not having to do that.

By default I think L-Shift + F10 toggles labels. You can also assign this to any key or hotas button to suite your needs. Also, an extra tip that I never knew about for years, you can search the controls list by selecting "Search" in the Controls Menu Dropdown.

If you are at the point of "cheating" and the mission has labels and external view limitation/restriction, you can also use the ctrl-F11 view command to quickly scout the area where you expect the moving targets to be.

Make sure you either activate autopilot or (active) pause :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH