Kuwait/Iraq/Iran Map... Most logical next map.

Baco

On 1/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, Qiou87 said:

With all due respect, don't we already have enough maps with dry/desert areas? How about a nice lush forest area instead, tropical or continental? Or a more arctic setting? This is not only DCS:Middle East, and while this is a beautiful region, we already have quite a lot to play with, with the current maps. Not perfect, but better than tropical areas or colder areas that are absolutely not represented today. 

Enough? No. I want this in DCS:

gulf.jpg

and many want that area because of the historical Iran-Iraq War, Gulf Wars and others.

My Cat has no business in the tropics.

Balkans are welcome otoh.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

22 minutes ago, draconus said:

Enough? No. I want this in DCS:

gulf.jpg

I do agree that we need those big torches in the Gulf map. But come on, more desert? Don't you have enough with NTTR, Syria and PG? There are other colors to the earth than sand. And areas with more interesting topography (Balkans, Kashmir, Vietnam / SCS, Korea... many areas with less desert and also interesting).

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

12 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

I do agree that we need those big torches in the Gulf map. But come on, more desert? Don't you have enough with NTTR, Syria and PG? There are other colors to the earth than sand. And areas with more interesting topography (Balkans, Kashmir, Vietnam / SCS, Korea... many areas with less desert and also interesting).

Yes, but this is a wish thread for Kuwait/Iraq map and I don't fly in DCS for sightseeing much or for color diversity 🙂 That does not mean the other areas are not to be done but they have their own fans and threads.

• Like 3

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

+1 

I remember the CNN Desert Storm footage and playing Falcon 3 during that time. I'd love to see this reflected in DCS as well. 

• Like 3

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

While I agree that filling in this blank would be great especially if you could fly between Maps I would rather See Turkey modelled to allow for the transition back to the Caucaus. 

Of course I still think an eastern Australia/New Zealand Map would be pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Personally I would like to see The Persian gulf map filled out, with the parts of Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq, and the rest of Iran included, just the parts of those countries you can currently see in the F10 map. Would definitely make the Persian gulf map much more filled out.
I would also like to see a Vietnam map as we get More and more Cold War aircraft.

Although a map including Iraq up to Baghdad and all of Kuwait and part of Northwestern Iran, probably would be Called the Arabian Gulf.

A map including Most of Isreal, Jordon, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt so from Haifa-Amman-Al Qurayat-Tabuk-Qena-Cario to Alexandria probably call the Red Sea map or like the Suez Canal map idk, would be cool to have all of Israel including Jerusalem and most of Jordon, some of Saudi Arabia, and some of Egypt. Not sure how much conflict takes place there but would be a cool map to have but a map including Iraq would be more practical.

• Like 5

My Understanding is that both NTTR and SOH currently tap the edge of the 8GB minspec for Ram so further additions would push them over.  Theres a couple references to this in threads but I have not found a proper reference to how it works and Syria can pack in so much.  My hope is that once we get the world engine, its possible to start adding additional resource to the sim in which case the logical flow would be to push out the detail from the current maps.  Being able to fly from Syria through to the Gulf would be great even if iraq and Qatar were blank space initially.

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I see your point with the 8g of ram, and when the world engine is released I feel that map making should be made available to public but has to go through a submission process before it can be added to the sim. Ether way I would still like to see the PG map extended for those ultra long missions where s*** hits the fan and your bingo fuel all the way up near Kuwait and the current closet friendly airfield is Al Dahfra. Kuwait, Qatar, The  Saudi Arabian coast, and the Iraqi Coast would be a nice edition to the map of they could find a way to still keep it around the 8gb of ram area

• 1 year later...

Most of the jet modules we in DCS have fought in Iraq in the Gulf War, it is the most recent large scale war, a war that a large percentage of DCS users would have lived through and/or know so much about. For me having two maps on either side of Iraq but not the most obvious choice for a DCS map is mental torture😱.

For those who say we already have desert maps, then ask for Korea, well don't we have trees and forests in the Caucasus and Marianas lol. But seriously, for me I want to fly historical missions and would love Vietnam, Korea etc but only if we have enough assets and modules for it. 

We have the Falkland Islands map coming, we have no official modules for that theatre. Putting a Sea Harrier skin on an AV-8B and fighting the A-4 Skyhawk mod is not reason enough for me to get excited about this map. But Iraq would make most sense at this time in DCS.

• Like 4

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

• 1 month later...

An Iraq/Iran/Kuwait map would be truly useful, 80s Iran/Iraq war, 99 and 2003 Iraq wars, and ISIS war in the 20s,.

Even expanding the Gulf would be very, very useful.

Those facts are undeniable. 

Not to mention the upcoming F1 would be right at home also... (the again I am half Spanish, so an "Almería" map is also welcome 😉 )

• Like 7

Keep in mind that on desert maps (mostly) we can keep the details and quality pretty high and still get big land area while getting decent performance. This is currently not possible for highly urbanised or tree dense areas.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

Adding things to existing maps can be difficult. Also, one more consideration: Persian Gulf is a 2010s map. All those shiny skyscrappers and artificial islands? Not there in the 80s. Dubai looked completely different back then. Iraq changed much less, but it would be nice to have an explicit DCS: Gulf War map, covering that and Iran-Iraq war. Maybe extending into ODS, depending on just how much the area had changed since then. Iraq, Kuwait, bits of Saudi and Iran. No need for an enormous area to cover maps we already have.

As for the sand, well, the sandbox is nice because there's no a lot out there but sand, which is good for performance. Syria is quite lush, more Mediterranean than desert, and is correspondingly quite a hog. Iraq should be more FPS-friendly.

I love the idea, as we are getting close and close to Phantom, MiG-23 and F1 release, I think this part if the most needed map (ofcourse Vietnam, Korea and Balkan is much more important but I dont think we can get this, although static objecs by ED and Urga can be reuse in this part and it is same objects on Persian Gulf)

I dont think Syria will get any further more expansion by Urga, the Persian Gulf map either (as it suppose to be straight or hurmoz initially), even the Shiraz🍷 (not the wine, although the famous shiraz wine grape is back to the same city 🙂  🍷 thats the reason the name is shiraz wine), Lar and Kerman are not really implemented with nice details, the ground in the middle of iran is terribly modeled (texture wise)

If Ugra or ED can make another map which can cover the most or All of the Iraq, Kuwait and West part of Iran, it would be great, the most important AFBs are not included in the Persian Gulf map such as: Bushehr(Home of F-4D and RF-4), Hamedan(F-4), Dezfoul(home of F-5), Omidieh(F-5) and Possibly Isfahan which is in the middle of iran, about 80nmi to the north of Shiraz(the home of Tomcats) and Possibly Tabriz on North West(F-5, F-4 and MiG-29)

BTW the west part and North West of Iran is not all desert at all, its all mountains with lots of Snow in winter time and some green parts too

Dont expect green as Balkan or EU, but its not all desert, if you take a look at it by google map, dont use top view only, find a places and try to check the pictures if there is any, it would be  something like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sumar,+Kermanshah+Province,+Iran/@33.9045023,45.9440943,3a,75y,51.2h,90.7t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM2WzLwBkXCMgaxlgYVHH8xBQvpjdj1_I2GmBcT!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM2WzLwBkXCMgaxlgYVHH8xBQvpjdj1_I2GmBcT%3Dw86-h86-k-no-pi-20-ya258-ro0-fo100!7i10240!8i5120!4m8!1m2!2m1!1smap!3m4!1s0x3ffc55846696acdd:0xd44500dd0339e47d!8m2!3d33.8859856!4d45.6393957

Edited by Raviar
  • Like 1

No, hope so, but no, is a map proposed here in the forums. I think is the proper size and a very good area covered. Of course a lot ODS airfields are left out to the south, but we can still use some in Saudi Arabia, the Harrier FARPs and fly all the way north to Baghdad. Also it covers a lot of Iran-Iraq war area and a bit of the Gulf itself.

• Like 3

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!