DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

I'm stuck at the mission where you need to drop some JSOW, there must be something wrong with the coordinates because the 4th hits the ground but no target of interest.

Here is the screen of wypt2 which i reconfigured with the coordinates in "precise mode"

any idea ?

thanks !

Screen_201007_220605.thumb.jpg.d9b3d3295061a9e9f707beffb614f11c.jpg

I'm stuck at the mission where you need to drop some JSOW, there must be something wrong with the coordinates because the 4th hits the ground but no target of interest.

Here is the screen of wypt2 which i reconfigured with the coordinates in "precise mode"

any idea ?

thanks !

Hi

No the coordinates are correct. Have a look at the last but one paragraphs under tips in the in game brief at the start of the mission. You have not used the right format for the coordinates. Should be degrees / minutes / second /decimal seconds. Should look like this N 00 00' 00.00' As I have said in the brief you can change the format on the HSI. Have a look at this video from Red Kite

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dcs+f18+changing+coordinate+format&docid=608048918485075123&mid=E98D24777F4A8E44724DE98D24777F4A8E44724D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Thanks Glyn for pointing out my mistake ! I understand that this whole format thing is a bit of a mess, it seems that by default the coordinates shown on the MSN page are also different !

will try to be more attentive for the next briefings

• 5 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, Glyn said:

The Serpent’s Head 2 Campaign is a 10 Mission Campaign for the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet. It is provided in two optional forms. The first the standard Campaign and the second incorporating “Simplified Air to Air Refuelling”, for those of us who have not yet mastered the dark art of capturing and staying with the basket.

This Campaign comprises the next chapter of the previous 6 Mission “Serpent’s Head” Campaign already released and still available in the DCS user files.

As before it is a story-based Campaign following the exploits of “Ford”. He is currently still posted on the USS John C Stennis, the heart of the Task Force. In the last Campaign they had been sent to the Black sea to address a regional conflict. This, the Task Force had successfully resolved and they are now off the Georgian coast on a “Political Watching Brief” awaiting orders to head home.

In this new Campaign Ford’s flying skills and effective operation of the Hornets weapons will be tested even further.

The Campaign ethos, as before, is not to capture reality but create an imaginative, enjoyable and engaging set of missions linked together with a plot narrative.

It has been designed with VR in mind by controlling resources and including F10 menu items allowing coordinates given over the radio to be recalled back on screen.

It includes hundreds of voice actor files. For these many thanks to “Reflected”, “@Alexander_Dex” and “Cdr “Curveball” Krotchety”.

Included are PDF briefs for each mission which should be read prior.

“Even as Fords thoughts are homeward bound things are about to change in a way even he could not have anticipated.”

Available from : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/fa-18c_serpents_head_2_campaign/

Glyn, Serpent's Head 1 and 2 campaigns are wonderful pieces of work. I am kind of new to DCS, so after learning some of the basics of flying and arms along many (really many) hours, I decided to be brave and go for your first campaign, mainly because it was for free so I thought: I loss nothing.  And it really was a fantastic experience. 

For both campaigns my hands sweat a lot in some missions, I failed and had to do some missions three or four times while some I did on the first attempt. Very vivid experience. I truly loved it. Great story, no just get on a plane and shoot, but all being a sequence of logic events and with nice dialogues.

Many congratulations and I would be more than happy to buy your next campaign (very much looking forward to it actually).

Take care and with very best!

John 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, john_e_alarcon said:

Glyn, Serpent's Head 1 and 2 campaigns are wonderful pieces of work. I am kind of new to DCS, so after learning some of the basics of flying and arms along many (really many) hours, I decided to be brave and go for your first campaign, mainly because it was for free so I thought: I loss nothing.  And it really was a fantastic experience. 

For both campaigns my hands sweat a lot in some missions, I failed and had to do some missions three or four times while some I did on the first attempt. Very vivid experience. I truly loved it. Great story, no just get on a plane and shoot, but all being a sequence of logic events and with nice dialogues.

Many congratulations and I would be more than happy to buy your next campaign (very much looking forward to it actually).

Take care and with very best!

John 

Glad you enjoyed and thanks for your kind words.

I am today releasing an update of the Serpents Head Campaign with  a Super carrier Option . ( You need to own the DCS  Super carrier Module)

I have also prepared a Super carrier Option for the Serpent's head 2 Campaign. This to be issued by DCS in a future update to the SH2 Campaign. ( You need to own the DCS  Super carrier Module)

I have also finished the next follow on campaign which is "Rise of the Persian Lion". This a 15 mission Campaign commencing briefly in the Black Sea but mainly in the Gulf. It has over a thousand voice actor overs and uses all the latest F18's systems. Once it has been checked in update 2.7 will be passed to DCS.

Cheers    Badger633 

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

1 hour ago, Glyn said:

I am today releasing an update of the Serpents Head Campaign with  a Super carrier Option . ( You need to own the DCS  Super carrier Module)

I have also prepared a Super carrier Option for the Serpent's head 2 Campaign. This to be issued by DCS in a future update to the SH2 Campaign. ( You need to own the DCS  Super carrier Module)

I have also finished the next follow on campaign which is "Rise of the Persian Lion". This a 15 mission Campaign commencing briefly in the Black Sea but mainly in the Gulf. It has over a thousand voice actor overs and uses all the latest F18's systems. Once it has been checked in update 2.7 will be passed to DCS.

Cheers    Badger633 

I do have the Super Carrier module already and would be very keen on Flying the Serpent Head's campaigns (1 and 2) again, this time from the SC.

And fantastic news about "Rise of the Persian Lion". Totally ready for it!!!. Campaign 1 of at least 2 or 3 campaigns I hope. 

Please do keep moving on with your great work and with very best,

John

1 hour ago, john_e_alarcon said:

I do have the Super Carrier module already and would be very keen on Flying the Serpent Head's campaigns (1 and 2) again, this time from the SC.

And fantastic news about "Rise of the Persian Lion". Totally ready for it!!!. Campaign 1 of at least 2 or 3 campaigns I hope. 

Please do keep moving on with your great work and with very best,

John

Cheers. The original Serpents Head campaign with optional Super Carrier version now out on user files. 👍   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glyn said:

Cheers    Badger633 

Woohoo great news!

Thank you so much! Can't wait for the Persian Lion.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi Glyn,

Once again, thanks for the great campaigns, the 2 Serpent Heads (1 and 2) are my first ones with VR and I am totally enjoying them!

I have a lot of problems with the mission Lazer Blazer....  I dont exactly understand the location of the vehicles and I have a lot of problems locating them (found the first one)... I have started it over 3 or 4 times now... and once I cheated and got the (dot) labels on and saw that there were 4 or 5 dots circling the base, therefore cannot really know which direction exactly to look for the exact one (I think my problem was with the one approaching the vip building... it seemed to to off in the fields...) and I couldnt find the T junction mentioned (way too fast and too softly in my opinion) by the very accented radio operator... I am not having fun now in this one...  any hints please?

thanks!!!

(Looking forward to you next one!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

1 hour ago, JEFX said:

Hi Glyn,

Once again, thanks for the great campaigns, the 2 Serpent Heads (1 and 2) are my first ones with VR and I am totally enjoying them!

I have a lot of problems with the mission Lazer Blazer....  I dont exactly understand the location of the vehicles and I have a lot of problems locating them (found the first one)... I have started it over 3 or 4 times now... and once I cheated and got the (dot) labels on and saw that there were 4 or 5 dots circling the base, therefore cannot really know which direction exactly to look for the exact one (I think my problem was with the one approaching the vip building... it seemed to to off in the fields...) and I couldnt find the T junction mentioned (way too fast and too softly in my opinion) by the very accented radio operator... I am not having fun now in this one...  any hints please?

thanks!!!

That's a tough one, took me several tries.

You will get it.

:renske:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, JEFX said:

Hi Glyn,

thanks!!!

Have you looked at the image in the brief?  To spot the mortar in the straw field put the TGP in ccd mode. The field will be black zoom in and you will see the mortar crew white.

For moving vehicles you can use the radar surface in gmt moving vehicle mode. This will lock your TGP to the vehicle. Have a look at u tubes on radar gmt mode.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Badger, I didnt think of the G radar... it is such a recent addition... will try it again now...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

12 minutes ago, JEFX said:

Thanks Badger, I didnt think of the G radar... it is such a recent addition... will try it again now...

Not tried it myself on that mission. Have used it quite a bit in my new campaign to be released. It will pick up a moving vehicle no problem. TGP will also slave to it when locked. Trouble is you have to designate a fixed point which will break the radar moving lock and manually move the TGP onto the vehicle and then select a TGP moving lock for lasing. It’s not a smooth hand off from the radar. But at least you can find the vehicle in the first place.

It won’t find the first target as they are static. Follow my previous suggestion.

Edited by Glyn

Ta-Dam!

OK Badger, I am glad to tell you that I did succeed mission 9 (Lazer Blazer) (without the labels)... finally... (it took several tries)..

Without giving any spoilers, I must say that the secret was to extend farther before reattacking...  That gave me more time to find the roads and targets, and make a better picture and  SA of the whole thing before being too close for release parameters...  Of course, one of the difficulty is the nature of VR... it is so hard to find the details on the ground (even the roads aren't visible at a certain distance, let alone the individual targets...) .  I had to land at Kutaisi to refuel, I was down to less than 1000 pounds at the end of the engagement... But all together, a very difficult and very good mission, bravo!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, JEFX said:

Ta-Dam!

OK Badger, I am glad to tell you that I did succeed mission 9 (Lazer Blazer) (without the labels)... finally... (it took several tries)..

Without giving any spoilers, I must say that the secret was to extend farther before reattacking...  That gave me more time to find the roads and targets, and make a better picture and  SA of the whole thing before being too close for release parameters...  Of course, one of the difficulty is the nature of VR... it is so hard to find the details on the ground (even the roads aren't visible at a certain distance, let alone the individual targets...) .  I had to land at Kutaisi to refuel, I was down to less than 1000 pounds at the end of the engagement... But all together, a very difficult and very good mission, bravo!

Did you use GMT radar in the end? 
Well done 👍 you wouldn’t want me to make it too easy 😉

Thanks!
I tried using radar in GMT.  True, there was one contact (brick) but could not get a lock... even when I put the TDC on it and depress, finally I reverted to the FLIR method..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 minutes ago, JEFX said:

Thanks!
I tried using radar in GMT.  True, there was one contact (brick) but could not get a lock... even when I put the TDC on it and depress, finally I reverted to the FLIR method..

You may already know this but in case you didn't to get a lock in GMT make your the GMT display  is selected then move the sensor select switch in the direction your GMT display is. 

Yeah, thanks, I did that.  I thought since it is so new might be abug but youre saying it should work fine?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, JEFX said:

Yeah, thanks, I did that.  I thought since it is so new might be abug but youre saying it should work fine?

Should do, used it on number of missions but not this one will have to give it a try

Anyways, just finished the last mission right now and want to thank you for a very very nice campaign!!

Funnily... 

Spoiler

I waited over the airbase for quite a long time and the missiles only defeated 2 of the Migs.. I didnt get any YOU ARE CLEAR, or GO HOME message but I figured, since there were no more RWR warnings from 29's that I could leave... When I left the airspace above the airbase, I decided to try the labels and LO! just saw the 2 Migs landing at the nearby airbase... Quickly I prepped my Sidewinders and dove for them... I got both of them with my 2 AIM-9s!!! Just when they were landing.  2 nice fireballs in the dark... Especially beautiful in VR with all the runway lights and the explosions...  That was quite satisfactory before heading home... (Oh, and by the way, I ditched all the remaining bombs before my Case III landing (with 2 bolters... 😞)  Finished it all with great pleasure!!!! Thanks again!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, JEFX said:

Anyways, just finished the last mission right now and want to thank you for a very very nice campaign!!

Funnily... 

Hide contents

I waited over the airbase for quite a long time and the missiles only defeated 2 of the Migs.. I didnt get any YOU ARE CLEAR, or GO HOME message but I figured, since there were no more RWR warnings from 29's that I could leave... When I left the airspace above the airbase, I decided to try the labels and LO! just saw the 2 Migs landing at the nearby airbase... Quickly I prepped my Sidewinders and dove for them... I got both of them with my 2 AIM-9s!!! Just when they were landing.  2 nice fireballs in the dark... Especially beautiful in VR with all the runway lights and the explosions...  That was quite satisfactory before heading home... (Oh, and by the way, I ditched all the remaining bombs before my Case III landing (with 2 bolters... 😞)  Finished it all with great pleasure!!!! Thanks again!

Glad you enjoyed the Campaign. Not sure why the thing you mentioned was not complete. Will have a look to see if the DCS AI has changed again.

My next campaign, ‘Rise of the Persian Lion’, is on the starting blocks, just checking out with the 2.7 update and new clouds before release. It continues the story. Ford and his wingman leave the Stennis for the Gulf on the USS Abraham Lincoln. 15 missions, kneeboards, briefs, aircraft skins and over a thousand actor voice overs. As always designed with VR in mind. 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JEFX said:

Instant buy!  Count me in!!!

Yep same here , can't wait.

Don B

On 3/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, JEFX said:

Ta-Dam!

.....I had to land at Kutaisi to refuel, I was down to less than 1000 pounds at the end of the engagement... But all together, a very difficult and very good mission, bravo!

How did you get Kutaisi to refuel you. Where did you take the plane to? I taxied all over there yesterday. Stopped every place I saw fuel trucks and a few I didn't. Hit R key, removed the armament, set fuel to 60%, and couldn't get anything to happen.

10 hours ago, CBStu said:

How did you get Kutaisi to refuel you. Where did you take the plane to? I taxied all over there yesterday. Stopped every place I saw fuel trucks and a few I didn't. Hit R key, removed the armament, set fuel to 60%, and couldn't get anything to happen.

Hi, a refuel is not planned in the campaign. Why did you have to refuel? Was it just general usage of the fuel or waiting for the migs to be destroyed?