DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

Not long now. Think it’s next up. 🙂👍

Awesome!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Not long now. Think it’s next up. 🙂👍

Good.  I was going to suggest you needed to give someone over at ED a kick to get things moving again 😀

Edited by rob10

I am completely frustrated. I can' t get over mission 3. The final MiG attack is one target too much. The mission costs me 1,5 hour playtime and i tried it 5 times, always shot down by the MiG. She is firing her missile at me before i can even see her, neither on the radar nor visually. Now i'm finished. No further 1,5 hour of my precious lifetime.

20 hours ago, jeepster said:

I am completely frustrated. I can' t get over mission 3. The final MiG attack is one target too much. The mission costs me 1,5 hour playtime and i tried it 5 times, always shot down by the MiG. She is firing her missile at me before i can even see her, neither on the radar nor visually. Now i'm finished. No further 1,5 hour of my precious lifetime.

Hi.

Sorry about your frustration but it can be done and when you have done it you will be able to do it each time.

Have a look below from the Badger633 section of the forum.

Hope it helps.

Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

On 7/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, jeepster said:

need  to  have  selected  aim9  be  pointing  at  right  direction right  height  soon  as  you get  him in the  reticle  fire

I had forgotten the "pucker" factor that came with Mission 6 - A Bloody Nightcap - landing first at Kutaisi on the return flight and then the Super Carrier with heavy winds in the Serpents Head 2 campaign.

Just finished that mission successfully - great fun!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey @Badger633

I wonder if you might check something for me. Mission #9.

For some reason, when I get to waypoint 3 and try to get my flir in targeting pod over the target, it is very difficult. I see the camera moving smoothly in the flir display, however the cursor in the Hud does not move, it moves very jerky. I will depress and hold the TDC and then try to slew it, it won't move until a moment later then a fast jerky move. Very difficult to try and move it over the general vicinity where the target is.

As you know I have flown this campaign before and it did not do like this.

Can you please see if it does the same for you? I have my notes from Chuck's guide in my kneeboard and it seems I am doing everything correctly and not missing a step but who knows.

Thanks for any help,

Don B

22 hours ago, dburne said:

Hey @Badger633

I wonder if you might check something for me. Mission #9.

For some reason, when I get to waypoint 3 and try to get my flir in targeting pod over the target, it is very difficult. I see the camera moving smoothly in the flir display, however the cursor in the Hud does not move, it moves very jerky. I will depress and hold the TDC and then try to slew it, it won't move until a moment later then a fast jerky move. Very difficult to try and move it over the general vicinity where the target is.

As you know I have flown this campaign before and it did not do like this.

Can you please see if it does the same for you? I have my notes from Chuck's guide in my kneeboard and it seems I am doing everything correctly and not missing a step but who knows.

Thanks for any help,

Will have a look see if same this end. 

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

5 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Will have a look see if same this end. 

Ok thanks much I look forward to hearing on this - it has me scratching my head for sure.

Edited by dburne

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok thanks much I look forward to hearing on this - it has me scratching my head for sure.

Checked it out didn’t notice anything untoward. FLIR was working ok and target point seemed ok in hud? Was using latest recent open beta.

Hey @Badger633
Great campaign!
In mission 8 JTAC Axeman (133 - channel 1) does not respond to the request.
I had to use bombs Mk84 in the Auto mode (I looked at the coordinates in the mission editor).
Only after the destruction of the barracks did Axeman get in touch.

3 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Checked it out didn’t notice anything untoward. FLIR was working ok and target point seemed ok in hud? Was using latest recent open beta.

Hmm so no problem with the cursor in the HUD huh? It moved smoothly? I press it to get the cursor, then when I move with the TDC the cursor does not move until I press it again. The camera in the FLIR continues to move slowly, but not the cursor in the HUD until I depress the TDC again - then it moves instantly to where it would be after I moved it.  Makes it somewhat difficult to get it where I need it to be.

Very strange, I will try a repair of DCS and see if that helps, thanks for checking this.

Edited by dburne

Don B

22 minutes ago, dburne said:

Hmm so no problem with the cursor in the HUD huh? It moved smoothly? I press it to get the cursor, then when I move with the TDC the cursor does not move until I press it again. The camera in the FLIR continues to move slowly, but not the cursor in the HUD until I depress the TDC again - then it moves instantly to where it would be after I moved it.  Makes it somewhat difficult to get it where I need it to be.

Very strange, I will try a repair of DCS and see if that helps, thanks for checking this.

To clarify what are you doing? What do you mean by the cursor in the hud. Is this the target point diamond or are you moving the sensor control forward to make the hud in control to designate a target point via the hud?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Badger633 said:

To clarify what are you doing? What do you mean by the cursor in the hud. Is this the target point diamond or are you moving the sensor control forward to make the hud in control to designate a target point via the hud?

Yes the target point diamond in HUD is what I am referring to. Can not move it smoothly with the TDC at all. Right MPD I have sensor switch set to, which is where my FLIR is broadcast. FLIR camera moves as expected, target point on HUD does not. It will not move until I depress TDC again after moving, so then it just jumps to that next point when I depress it, rather than moving smoothly with the TDC as I move it. Very weird.

In other words, that target point on HUD only moves when I depress TDC, it does not move when moving TDC left/right/up/down.

Grandkids are here so may not be able to check again after the repair for a while, hopefully I can tomorrow sometime just to see.

Don B

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Yes the target point diamond in HUD is what I am referring to. Can not move it smoothly with the TDC at all. Right MPD I have sensor switch set to, which is where my FLIR is broadcast. FLIR camera moves as expected, target point on HUD does not. It will not move until I depress TDC again after moving, so then it just jumps to that next point when I depress it, rather than moving smoothly with the TDC as I move it. Very weird.

In other words, that target point on HUD only moves when I depress TDC, it does not move when moving TDC left/right/up/down.

Grandkids are here so may not be able to check again after the repair for a while, hopefully I can tomorrow sometime just to see.

I believe what you describe is correct operation. The hud diamond indicates a target point. You can move the FLIR position of view but it won’t become a target point until you press the target designation button. So it is not until you press the TDC a new target point is formed and it is only then the hud target diamond will jump to the new designated target position.

3 hours ago, Badger633 said:

I believe what you describe is correct operation. The hud diamond indicates a target point. You can move the FLIR position of view but it won’t become a target point until you press the target designation button. So it is not until you press the TDC a new target point is formed and it is only then the hud target diamond will jump to the new designated target position.

Ok that may be, but I can say without question it used to move smoothly with the TDC movement. Or I have lost my mind which is quite possible lol.

Edit: Let me word it a different way. As I approach the target area, I used to could slew some form of cursor on the HUD over to where I think the target may be, then use the FLIR camera to search for it. Now I seem to not be able to do this in the HUD, all I get is a cursor (tgt) symbol when depressing the TDC, and it is a fixed point that can not be slewed in the HUD. I can slew it viewing the FLIR camera, and if I depress again the target symbol jumps over to the new point.

But previously seems I had the ability to slew some form of cursor in the HUD to about where I think the target is.

Obviously this is not a campaign issue, just something that is different for me now and trying to understand it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Ok so I have been doing some reading and watching some vids, I "think" what I am experiencing is a bit of a change in how the targeting works in the Lightening targeting pod. Seems there is a newer mode, slave mode to the HUD - VVSLV. I need to maneuver the plane to where the  HUD reticle is on or close to the intended target and then depress the TDC to ground stabilize it - rather than slewing the reticle with the TDC which apparently I used to be able to do. This method should allow me to at least get the TDC close to the intended target, rather than searching blindly with the FLIR camera. I could then use the FLIR camera to look around for the target which should be in the area.

Maybe I am crazy but I think this was probably changed not too long ago and I am just now using the pod again since that change.

Anyway maybe I will be better prepared for good ole Mission 9 when I do get a chance to try it again. Still have grandkids here to deal with LOL. We take them back to the airport on Sunday. Might can squeeze another attempt in though here sometime today, I think the wife is taking them shopping here soon.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Well couple of attempts today and now my bomb is completely missing the first target lol.

Back to the drawing board.

Don B

Well this is just not my day.

Had time to go back in and try again. On first launch DCS errored and closed out saying a metashader error or something like that.

Just launched again and now my SH2 campaign has dropped me back to the very first mission. Starting all over.

Edit: Disregard, I had somehow selected the wrong version of the campaign, and it was inactive. All sorted now - duh.

Edited by dburne

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Well couple of attempts today and now my bomb is completely missing the first target lol.

Back to the drawing board.

Well another duh!

:doh:

It helps if one actually arms the laser prior to dropping the bomb.

I think my problem is I am trying to rush due to time constraint with the grandkids, so going to hold off till I can fly a little more relaxed lol.

Don B

9 hours ago, dburne said:

Well another duh!

I think my problem is I am trying to rush due to time constraint with the grandkids, so going to hold off till I can fly a little more relaxed lol.

me  thinks one  needs  to  go back to ground  school 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dburne said:

Well another duh!

I think what you may be getting confused with is using the HUD as priority for target designation. This will work as you expect I think.

Activate the FLIR  then use long up on the sensor control switch. This then sets the hud up as priority for target designation. You can tell this as a white dot will appear in the centre of the hud circle. Now fly so you place that dot on a ground point. Press TDC. A target point is created and it is shown on the hud also your FLIR will slave to it. Now with that done you can smoothly slew the target point anywhere you want and the FLIR will follow it as you are constantly moving a target point. Was this what you were thinking about ?

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

2 hours ago, Badger633 said:

I think what you may be getting confused with is using the hud as priority for target designation. This will work as the expect I think.

Activate the FLIR  then use long up on the sensor control switch. This then sets the hud up as priority for target designation. You can tell this as a white dot will appear in the centre of the hud circle. Now fly so you place that dot on a ground point. Press TDC. A target point is created and it is shown on the hud also your FLIR will slave to it. Now with that done you can smoothly slew the target point anywhere you want and the FLIR will follow it as you are constantly moving a target point. Was this what you were thinking about ?

Badger633

Yeah that may be, hopefully will get another chance to work on it today thanks.

Don B

6 hours ago, Badger633 said:

I think what you may be getting confused with is using the HUD as priority for target designation. This will work as you expect I think.

Badger633

:thumbsup:

Handled it like a boss today no problem, got all targets on first attempt it was wonderful.

Thanks much -  I just used the HUD to get the cursor close then switched back to the flir camera for fine tuning to designate the target.

Just one more mission and then I will be off to the Gulf for Rise of the Persian Lion. I have so been looking forward to that!!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

Mission 10 completed yay! Love this campaign.

Ready to start Rise of the Persian Lion next week. So looking forward to it!

Don B