DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

Mission 10 completed yay! Love this campaign.

Ready to start Rise of the Persian Lion next week. So looking forward to it!

Well Done. Hope you enjoy the Rise of the Persian Lion 👍

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with mission 1, where after reaching wpt 3 I get a message to wait over it and wait for further instructions directing me to further wpt's but nothing happens. I don't get any information from the tower on the radio. I was flying around for 10 minutes and nothing.

And that's not just my problem. K.J. wrote to me about this issue. I checked it myself and I must admit that it is the same for me.

6 hours ago, Jettax said:

I have a problem with mission 1, where after reaching wpt 3 I get a message to wait over it and wait for further instructions directing me to further wpt's but nothing happens. I don't get any information from the tower on the radio. I was flying around for 10 minutes and nothing.

And that's not just my problem. K.J. wrote to me about this issue. I checked it myself and I must admit that it is the same for me.

Hi, looks like the recent DCS AI changes to the Hornet has broken the air display. I have fixed the issue now and will issue to ED hopefully for release in next update. Sorry but out of my control. 

Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Badger633

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Goodness that is two DLC campaigns now that are broken from this last update, SH2 and Rise of the Persian Lion.

Hopefully they will get these fixes pushed out asap. A quick hotfix would sure be nice.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Raven One is broken too...

Can it be fix by myself if you give me the instructions? It's not a problem to redirect this mission to mission editor but if it's difficult I will wait for next update.

Edited by Jettax

1 hour ago, Jettax said:

Raven One is broken too...

Can it be fix by myself if you give me the instructions? It's not a problem to redirect this mission to mission editor but if it's difficult I will wait for next update.

I think update is due soon and yes its not straight forward had to play around with waypoints heights and speeds. Submitted to ED now.

Badger633 

5 hours ago, dburne said:

Goodness that is two DLC campaigns now that are broken from this last update, SH2 and Rise of the Persian Lion.

Hopefully they will get these fixes pushed out asap. A quick hotfix would sure be nice.

Yes unfortunately its the the problem we face trying to maintain a detailed campaign with an ever changing simulation and especially with recent the AI updates. 

Badger633

34 minutes ago, Badger633 said:

I think update is due soon and yes its not straight forward had to play around with waypoints heights and speeds. Submitted to ED now.

Badger633 

Yes unfortunately its the the problem we face trying to maintain a detailed campaign with an ever changing simulation and especially with recent the AI updates. 

Badger633

Yeah  I keep just practicing what I can in Mission 8 of the Persian Lion , I really don't want to bypass it. I am getting pretty good in the ATFLIR targeting pod now lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the 'At Arms Length' in SH2 easy refueling/super carrier version on the most recent stable DCS. Flown it 12 times. In around my 6th flight I finally get through the Migs (BTW does the wingman hit any of them?) and hit the first three targets and then I apparently didn't understand how to enter info for the 4th target because my missile missed by quite a bit. So I studied several videos and Chucks Guide and tried some more. My last three tries, the grumbles shot down all 4 of my JSOWs so I don't know if I got my data entry fixed for sure. I launched them from 32,000 as soon as I got the 'in range'. I have the first target set up on the flight in, so my 'as soon as' is maybe 5 seconds and then the next two as fast as possible while continuing to fly toward the target. As soon as the 3rd JSOW leaves the plane I do a 180 turn and get out of there. I have been safe doing an orbit of about 10 mile diameter centered on the route in and ranging from about 40 miles to target to about 50 miles.  So 2 questions; 1- has the update screwed up JSOWs too, or 2- do any of you have any tips to keep the JSOWS flying?

2 hours ago, CBStu said:

I am on the 'At Arms Length' in SH2 easy refueling/super carrier version on the most recent stable DCS. Flown it 12 times. In around my 6th flight I finally get through the Migs (BTW does the wingman hit any of them?) and hit the first three targets and then I apparently didn't understand how to enter info for the 4th target because my missile missed by quite a bit. So I studied several videos and Chucks Guide and tried some more. My last three tries, the grumbles shot down all 4 of my JSOWs so I don't know if I got my data entry fixed for sure. I launched them from 32,000 as soon as I got the 'in range'. I have the first target set up on the flight in, so my 'as soon as' is maybe 5 seconds and then the next two as fast as possible while continuing to fly toward the target. As soon as the 3rd JSOW leaves the plane I do a 180 turn and get out of there. I have been safe doing an orbit of about 10 mile diameter centered on the route in and ranging from about 40 miles to target to about 50 miles.  So 2 questions; 1- has the update screwed up JSOWs too, or 2- do any of you have any tips to keep the JSOWS flying?

Hi

Spoiler Alert

1 You need to stop the SAMs going into red alert. If they do they will shoot down all your JSOWs. The actual trigger is about 32 miles go in there for just one second and they will go into red alert. Keep outside of this at all times by a good margin I would suggest.

2 The JSOW range radius is a mixture of your height and your speed. Both increase your range and both can reduce it. So part of the challenge is to get the right balance to maximise your range so you keep outside of the red alert distance. 32 to 35 K should be ok if you have the speed.

3 The normal mistake is drifting in with your last weapon. You can speed things up by making sure each JSOW is all set up with TOO etc so it’s just a matter of change target and release. If getting close do it in more than one run.

4 For the final target ensure you are set up for the correct precise coordinate system as set out in the brief.

5 Watch your fuel. 

Finally I only have open beta but same should apply for stable

Hope this helps.

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

3 more tries today. I got through the migs on 2 of them. Hit the first 3 targets and was given coords for the 4th. Apparently I am entering them wrong. When I click the 'precise' button lower left the format on the screen changes from 6 digits to 8 digits so that is good but I notice that there is no decimal point between the 2nd and 3rd digit of the second group of 4. The entry works fine but the missile hits short. Not a lot short, maybe 3-400yards. So next time I try something I saw in a tutorial. I hit the 'precise' button and get 8 digits but then hit AC (aircraft) in the left top and then hit the lowest right side button which switches format again and now I have 8 digits and a decimal point between the 2nd and 3rd digit of the second group of 4. So I figure I have it now and go back to the waypoint page to enter the #s. But when I go to enter the second set of 4 digits, it only let's me enter 2. I change the 'aircraft' back, enter the #s and of course the missile hits short again. Obviously I am missing something but I don't know what it is.

2 hours ago, CBStu said:

3 more tries today. I got through the migs on 2 of them. Hit the first 3 targets and was given coords for the 4th. Apparently I am entering them wrong. When I click the 'precise' button lower left the format on the screen changes from 6 digits to 8 digits so that is good but I notice that there is no decimal point between the 2nd and 3rd digit of the second group of 4. The entry works fine but the missile hits short. Not a lot short, maybe 3-400yards. So next time I try something I saw in a tutorial. I hit the 'precise' button and get 8 digits but then hit AC (aircraft) in the left top and then hit the lowest right side button which switches format again and now I have 8 digits and a decimal point between the 2nd and 3rd digit of the second group of 4. So I figure I have it now and go back to the waypoint page to enter the #s. But when I go to enter the second set of 4 digits, it only let's me enter 2. I change the 'aircraft' back, enter the #s and of course the missile hits short again. Obviously I am missing something but I don't know what it is.

There are two steps for the correct data entry format for precise waypoints.

1: Select "precise" at the bottom of the HSI page.

2: Select on the HSI - Data page, then select the A/C page.  Then select the LATLN button.

You have to do these two things first to get the correct entry format for entering the precise waypoint on the UFC.

Once you have this format selected, you will then enter the 8 digit precise coordinate in the following way: First entry is N, so choose N and enter the first six digits then press enter, then enter the last two digits and press enter. You will then do this for the E enter, select E and enter, then enter the first 6 digits and enter, then the last two digits and enter. You will now have your precision coordinate entered as whatever waypoint number you have selected.

Prior to starting to make these entries you may want to choose the F10 Other Menu option to select to display the coordinates for an additional amount of time. Helps until you get used to doing it.

Note the above information is also provided in the mission briefing. I struggled with this at first as well till I got used to doing it that way.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

15 hours ago, CBStu said:

Hi

Been asked about coordinate entry a lot,  so have prepared video.

Hope this helps

Badger633

Thank you very much. If you just click precise, you enter the data in a 4 digit, enter, 4 digit format. I didn't catch that you need to enter it in a 6 digit, enter, 2 digit format after changing A/C and LATLN. Learning more and more of these weapons techniques is a lot of fun, but I can sure see how having 2 people in the plane could be a benefit.

• Like 1

It can be frustrating as heck but these campaigns sure do force me to learn things. I am finding that I use auto pilot more and more. BALT is great and I recently discovered that BALT, bank the plane, and hit ATHLD (?) for attitude hold makes it easy to set up an orbit, like when I need time to enter new waypoints. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

It can be frustrating as heck but these campaigns sure do force me to learn things. I am finding that I use auto pilot more and more. BALT is great and I recently discovered that BALT, bank the plane, and hit ATHLD (?) for attitude hold makes it easy to set up an orbit, like when I need time to enter new waypoints. 

Yep I do that also anytime we are assigned to orbit a waypoint for a bit.

Don B

6 hours ago, CBStu said:

Actually, in the F-18 (different in the A-10), as long as you have BALT hold active you can bank the plane and it will hold the bank angle without also entering ATT hold.  The one thing to keep in mind with this is that you need to be greater than about 5 deg bank (IIRC) or it will level wings out.  In fact (and I should check this before I say this) you should be able to enter the BALT hold in a bank as long as you're level.

10 hours ago, CBStu said:

Thank you very much. If you just click precise, you enter the data in a 4 digit, enter, 4 digit format. I didn't catch that you need to enter it in a 6 digit, enter, 2 digit format after changing A/C and LATLN. Learning more and more of these weapons techniques is a lot of fun, but I can sure see how having 2 people in the plane could be a benefit.

sure  that  you will get  the  hang of it  quickly 🙂   dont  know  where  you would  fit  a  second  person in a  hornet unless  you were  flying  a  super  hornet  which  carries  2  crew

YEEEHAAAW! I got it. Sure is fun using F6 to watch those buildings being blown up. Thanks Badger and everyone else for your help. Then it took 4 tries to get back on the boat but I made it and can now move to the next mission.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CBStu said:

YEEEHAAAW! I got it. Sure is fun using F6 to watch those buildings being blown up. Thanks Badger and everyone else for your help. Then it took 4 tries to get back on the boat but I made it and can now move to the next mission.

:thumbup:

Congrats and have fun!!

Don B

Hi, so I wanted to give it a go and checked the last 2 pages of the DCS beta updates and didn't found this campaign mentioned to have updated weather and lighting ... so wondering if it's still maintained?

I guess weather is not a problem, I forgot a bit when exactly did we get weather ... back before SH2 was out?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

1 hour ago, Worrazen said:

Hi, so I wanted to give it a go and checked the last 2 pages of the DCS beta updates and didn't found this campaign mentioned to have updated weather and lighting ... so wondering if it's still maintained?

I guess weather is not a problem, I forgot a bit when exactly did we get weather ... back before SH2 was out?

Hi

Yes all kept up to date.

I keep all my campaigns updated. Weather was updated some time ago. Also this campaign includes normal and EZ A2A refuel versions and both with supercarrier or without.

The Serpent’s Head 2  plot now continues  In a new campaign which has not long been released. ‘Rise of the Persian Lion’

See my section of the DLC Campaigns on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

Thanks for explanation.

Mission: Going For The Chop

Comm says I have to take off from Catapult 3, but it seems like Catapult 2 is the one I have to use, or I got my numbers wrong?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria