DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

I guess I used AB too much. I did hang around and made several run-ins to take out the SAMs. I hit AB every time I avoided a SAM and noticed on one avoidance I was still in AB after several minutes flying a big loop to get lined up for another run.

4 hours ago, CBStu said:

I guess I used AB too much. I did hang around and made several run-ins to take out the SAMs. I hit AB every time I avoided a SAM and noticed on one avoidance I was still in AB after several minutes flying a big loop to get lined up for another run.

As instructed just get out of there, the SAMs are not your target.😄👍

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 1 month later...

Just started flying SH2 and like it so far, but I did run into an issue in Mission 1.  (regular refueling option)

The tanker didn't appear in the airspace at all.  It wasn't on the F10 map, nor could I get it on Tacan (10X) or on the radio.  I had taken out both SU-25's and got the radio message that refueling was an option. 

Digging into the mission file, the tanker has "HIddon on Map" and "Late Activation" checked.

I skimmed through this topic and didn't notice any posts about this issue.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Quietman2000 said:

Just started flying SH2 and like it so far, but I did run into an issue in Mission 1.  (regular refueling option)

The tanker didn't appear in the airspace at all.  It wasn't on the F10 map, nor could I get it on Tacan (10X) or on the radio.  I had taken out both SU-25's and got the radio message that refueling was an option. 

Digging into the mission file, the tanker has "HIddon on Map" and "Late Activation" checked.

I skimmed through this topic and didn't notice any posts about this issue.

Thanks!

Hi, so when you were asked, do you want to refuel, you confirmed yes via the F10 menu? And if you did this you were given the tankers location and tacan etc? If you did get the message with tanker details it should be there. 
The hid on map and late activation is correct.

And just in case when using the tacan did you select AA on the up front controller as without this you would not pick it up.

If you did all this then it could be a new DCS bug. 
Play it again and see if same happens. Let me know please.

Hope this helps

Badger 633

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 weeks later...

Great campaign so far!  I wanted to mention a minor "issue" that I encountered. 

Mission (#6 I think) -- "A Bloody Nightcap"

I just started the mission and the NVG (night vision goggles) were not available by default.  The JHMCS seems to be the selected HMD.  I restarted the mission and then had the ground crew change the helmet mounted device to the NVG and all was good.

DCS v2.5.6.61527 (non-steam)

4 hours ago, Quietman2000 said:

Great campaign so far!  I wanted to mention a minor "issue" that I encountered. 

Mission (#6 I think) -- "A Bloody Nightcap"

I just started the mission and the NVG (night vision goggles) were not available by default.  The JHMCS seems to be the selected HMD.  I restarted the mission and then had the ground crew change the helmet mounted device to the NVG and all was good.

DCS v2.5.6.61527 (non-steam)

its  the  same  with  any  mission  you  do in the  hornet  you need  to  select  what  you  want  before  you start  flying

HI! Liking the campaign and I recently switched to the supercarrier version.

Great job. But at this point, i'm really frustrated in mission 5 as the first of my Jsow's is always off target it seems. I climb to angels 37-39, I'm in Range, TOO mode, WP4 DSGN and release, WP5 DSGN and release, WP6 DSGN and release. 2 bunkers get shot, but the first one plows into the ground way before hitting target. 

It's not that I don't know that you need to set decimals etc. to  destroy bunker 4. This is a preset waypoint. I'm in correct height, I checked all coordinates and tried like 6-7 times today. 

What am I doing wrong here?

edit:

Managed to shoot down three bunkers, by changing loadout and taking extra AGM154's and settings some offsets. But the last bunkers coordinates are off. Switched  to decimal seconds in the HSI A/C page and added a new WP7. Then entered the exact coordinates as mentioned. Climbed to angels 39. Fired one jsoc -> off Fired the second -> smashed into the same crater. Checked coordinates again, correct. Fired the last AGM and again, same crater, about 50 meters off. 

I'm out.

Edited by MacDokie

3 hours ago, MacDokie said:

HI! Liking the campaign and I recently switched to the supercarrier version.

Great job. But at this point, i'm really frustrated in mission 5 as the first of my Jsow's is always off target it seems. I climb to angels 37-39, I'm in Range, TOO mode, WP4 DSGN and release, WP5 DSGN and release, WP6 DSGN and release. 2 bunkers get shot, but the first one plows into the ground way before hitting target. 

It's not that I don't know that you need to set decimals etc. to  destroy bunker 4. This is a preset waypoint. I'm in correct height, I checked all coordinates and tried like 6-7 times today. 

What am I doing wrong here?

edit:

Managed to shoot down three bunkers, by changing loadout and taking extra AGM154's and settings some offsets. But the last bunkers coordinates are off. Switched  to decimal seconds in the HSI A/C page and added a new WP7. Then entered the exact coordinates as mentioned. Climbed to angels 39. Fired one jsoc -> off Fired the second -> smashed into the same crater. Checked coordinates again, correct. Fired the last AGM and again, same crater, about 50 meters off. 

I'm out.

HI

Has worked since release until you have raised it. 

Checked the last hangers precise coords using map in mission editor they are correct as given on the radio.

Also checked the way points 4,5 and 6 for the first three hangers, they are located dead centre of each hanger and at the correct height.

It could be a new  DCS bug. Will have to look into it. Will get back to you.

Badger633

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

HI

Has worked since release until you have raised it. 

Checked the last hangers precise coords using map in mission editor they are correct as given on the radio.

Also checked the way points 4,5 and 6 for the first three hangers, they are located dead centre of each hanger and at the correct height.

It could be a new  DCS bug. Will have to look into it. Will get back to you.

Badger633

Strange thing is, indeed, that also when you look at the F10 map, coordinates are correct. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what it might be. If I was doing something completely wrong in example regarding procedures or height or settings, I would not have been able to destroy the first three, and fire three times 50 meters from the last.

However, thanks so much for your support!

15 minutes ago, MacDokie said:

Strange thing is, indeed, that also when you look at the F10 map, coordinates are correct. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what it might be. If I was doing something completely wrong in example regarding procedures or height or settings, I would not have been able to destroy the first three, and fire three times 50 meters from the last.

However, thanks so much for your support!

Hi, no problem. Just flew that part of the mission. I successfully took out first three hangers and then the last with the precise coordinates. So not sure what you might be doing.  I just set up the JSOW. Remember to set all missiles to TOO and instant fuse by stepping through the four weapons. I then set first way point and designate it as the target. Once you get the in range notifications you can release. I then undesignate the last target first before changing to next way point and then designating as new target then when in range release etc.

When entering precise coordinates you need decimal seconds set as you say. Make sure you get the elevation in feet also. Same process though undesignate last target etc

Hope this helps

Badger633

2 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Hi, no problem. Just flew that part of the mission. I successfully took out first three hangers and then the last with the precise coordinates. So not sure what you might be doing.  I just set up the JSOW. Remember to set all missiles to TOO and instant fuse by stepping through the four weapons. I then set first way point and designate it as the target. Once you get the in range notifications you can release. I then undesignate the last target first before changing to next way point and then designating as new target then when in range release etc.

When entering precise coordinates you need decimal seconds set as you say. Make sure you get the elevation in feet also. Same process though undesignate last target etc

Hope this helps

Badger633

Badger, I'm sorry. I FINALLY did it!

Turned out, it was my bad indeed. I watched the Youtube vid earlier that you mentioned about changing to decimal secs and I changed to the wrong setting (to the setting were you only put 2 coordinates,enter and then 4 digits)

Sorry to have put you through the effort to fly and check this!

5 minutes ago, MacDokie said:

Badger, I'm sorry. I FINALLY did it!

Turned out, it was my bad indeed. I watched the Youtube vid earlier that you mentioned about changing to decimal secs and I changed to the wrong setting (to the setting were you only put 2 coordinates,enter and then 4 digits)

Sorry to have put you through the effort to fly and check this!

Glad you got it sorted 😄👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Badger. Loving the Campaign at the moment but I have hit a bit of a wall at the moment on I think Mission 5.

I need to launch JSOW's at the target but they are now getting shot down form all the A/A.

I believe this is due to recent patches.

Do you intend to change the mission to allow this to get through or are there no plans.

I hope there is because I do not see how the mission can be done now if this stays the same.

thank you again for the work.

3 hours ago, Senpai said:

Hi Badger. Loving the Campaign at the moment but I have hit a bit of a wall at the moment on I think Mission 5.

I need to launch JSOW's at the target but they are now getting shot down form all the A/A.

Do you intend to change the mission to allow this to get through or are there no plans.

I hope there is because I do not see how the mission can be done now if this stays the same.

Hi

Glad your enjoying the campaign.

Are you keeping outside the target radius as set out in the brief?  If you go within this distance the SAM site will go into red alert and shoot down the JSOWs. 

This could be your problem.
Badger633

Edited by Badger633

4 hours ago, Senpai said:

no its  not  the  2.7  patch  since  i  just  did  it  last week,  you need  to be  above  fl 360   and  outside  the  range  of  the  sams,  so you need  to  fire  them in  quick  succession

On 6/6/2021 at 11:42 PM, Badger633 said:

Hi

Glad your enjoying the campaign.

Are you keeping outside the target radius as set out in the brief?  If you go within this distance the SAM site will go into red alert and shoot down the JSOWs. 

This could be your problem.
Badger633

Thanks, I will give it a go. Got worried there.

Looking forward to finishing it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Badger,

I have really enjoyed Serpent's Head 2.  I've learned a lot about the Hornet over the last couple of weeks, but after 3-4 nights of nothing but frustration I've decided I need a little help...

I am in Mission 10, which I have flown about 8-10 times now, at least, I'm stuck and I know I don't what my problem is.  I don't know if it's a glitch or my inexperience.  

(SPOILER ALERT)

I get the waypoint coordinates for the rendezvous from Overlord after tanking.  Colt and I roll in on the target and I start an orbit about 9ish nm out.  I waypoint designate the target area, wait for Snake to show up, Snake shows up, I target his vehicle using point track, the meeting ends, we get authorization to prosecute, I roll in, on cue release my LGBs and Snake drives cooly away while Waypoint 4 dies a violent death.  No matter what I do...my ordnance always strikes Waypoint 4, not Snake's car.

No matter what I've tried, all while tracking Snake's vehicle, locked up in point track brackets, the bombs always strike the waypoint and not the locked target.  See attached.

I mean, I'm not the most experienced pilot, but to make sure I know what I'm doing (because it takes SO LONG to get to this point in the mission just to fail 😞 ) I've practiced this in a training mission of my own and have no problem at all striking moving targets at night in the exact same fashion.

I've confirmed the FLIR is on, the LTD/R switch is set to ARM, I'm in AUTO lase mode, the code is correct on the bombs---and all the while I'm tracking Snake's vehicle...yet Waypoint 4 catches all the fire.  I'm stumped.  Have you heard of any issues regarding this part of the mission?

For reference I am using 2.7 Open Beta.

Thank you!

On 7/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, AtomicMysteryWeasel said:

Hi Badger,

I have really enjoyed Serpent's Head 2.  I've learned a lot about the Hornet over the last couple of weeks, but after 3-4 nights of nothing but frustration I've decided I need a little help...

I am in Mission 10, which I have flown about 8-10 times now, at least, I'm stuck and I know I don't what my problem is.  I don't know if it's a glitch or my inexperience.  

(SPOILER ALERT)

I get the waypoint coordinates for the rendezvous from Overlord after tanking.  Colt and I roll in on the target and I start an orbit about 9ish nm out.  I waypoint designate the target area, wait for Snake to show up, Snake shows up, I target his vehicle using point track, the meeting ends, we get authorization to prosecute, I roll in, on cue release my LGBs and Snake drives cooly away while Waypoint 4 dies a violent death.  No matter what I do...my ordnance always strikes Waypoint 4, not Snake's car.

No matter what I've tried, all while tracking Snake's vehicle, locked up in point track brackets, the bombs always strike the waypoint and not the locked target.  See attached.

I mean, I'm not the most experienced pilot, but to make sure I know what I'm doing (because it takes SO LONG to get to this point in the mission just to fail 😞 ) I've practiced this in a training mission of my own and have no problem at all striking moving targets at night in the exact same fashion.

I've confirmed the FLIR is on, the LTD/R switch is set to ARM, I'm in AUTO lase mode, the code is correct on the bombs---and all the while I'm tracking Snake's vehicle...yet Waypoint 4 catches all the fire.  I'm stumped.  Have you heard of any issues regarding this part of the mission?

For reference I am using 2.7 Open Beta.

Thank you!

Hi

For the sake of the forum just to confirm we have liaised by PM. Also that I have tested the issue out and was unable to repeat. 
Cheers

Badger633

I think you need to frequently update JDAM coordinates manually by TDC depress/release, esp. just before releasing the bomb (in CCRP / Auto mode).
If not, the JDAM coordinates will stay with the initial target point and the corrections made by the bomb in the last seconds before impact (when laser is firing) won't be sufficient to hit the target which had been moving away from the initial target point.

Update 2021-08-01: Instead of JDAM the GBU16 are being used to attack the moving target. But also for GBU, the target point (for AUTO release) needs to be updated constantly (because the target is moving). If not, the GBU will miss as the target moves out of range. Badger633 also states this in the mission briefing "...target point for the auto bomb drop system...must be reselected constantly, by pressing TDC..."

Edited by jetsimace

22 minutes ago, jetsimace said:

I think you need to frequently update JDAM coordinates manually by TDC depress/release, esp. just before releasing the bomb (in CCRP / Auto mode).
If not, the JDAM coordinates will stay with the initial target point and the corrections made by the bomb in the last seconds before impact (when laser is firing) won't be sufficient to hit the target which had been moving away from the initial target point.

This was my thought too.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:25 AM, jetsimace said:

got me  confused  here  when  you say laser is  firing,  thought  that  jdam  were  gps   and  not  laser  guided  bombs,   and  the  mission  requires  laser  guided  bombs   and  not  jdams to  take  out  snakes  truck

Edited by pete_auau

4 hours ago, pete_auau said:

got me  confused  here  when  you say laser is  firing,  thought  that  jdam  were  gps   and  not  laser  guided  bombs,   and  the  mission  requires  laser  guided  bombs   and  not  jdams to  take  out  snakes  truck

Your right GBU’s in mission 10. JDAM’s no good for moving targets.

Currently enjoying yet another play through of this excellent campaign. It certainly does not get old. Passing the time while I await Rise of the Persian Lion.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Currently enjoying yet another play through of this excellent campaign. It certainly does not get old. Passing the time while I await Rise of the Persian Lion.

Not long now. Think it’s next up. 🙂👍