DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

1 hour ago, doomie said:

D'oh. Self inflicted. Thanks for the correction 🙂

Reveal hidden contents

Standalone version of the campaign on latest open beta, downloaded via the usual module manager.

It's just very weird then. After downing the two migs, remaining fuel was somewhere around 2500lbs. Took 300 or so hunting for arco, then turned back to the Stennis, roughly 75 miles out.  Fpas page suggested 750lbs left (waypoint 0 set as home fuel, but not sure if stennis moves during the mission, but waypoint marker seemed to match up with tacan direction and distance).

Somewhat conservative throttle usage with ATC engaged. Both times fuel ran out 1 mile out from landing.

Not sure if just an unfortunate co-incidence though, so i'll keep on trying 🙂

Thanks so far though. Had the campaign downloaded for ages, but only now started the play-through after completing your first one.

Enjoy the campaign 👍

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 4 months later...

Too arcade. From such a simulator you expect a "boring" reality. Everywhere constant battles on axes (dogfight), opponents appearing out of nowhere, tankers without cover in the war zone, target designation from the First World War (somewhere in the north). Disappointed in the end in all 3 campaigns, to be honest.

• Like 1

10 минут назад, vitdor сказал:

Too arcade. From such a simulator you expect a "boring" reality. Everywhere constant battles on axes (dogfight), opponents appearing out of nowhere, tankers without cover in the war zone, target designation from the First World War (somewhere in the north). Disappointed in the end in all 3 campaigns, to be honest.

On the other hand missions are easy and this is good for novices who learn the systems. I've started "arcade" campaigns before realistic "boring" ones to get used to all systems in Hornet. It would be quite annoying to fail mission because you messed up with ACM modes for example. And it is more rewarding learn through the campaigns rather than simple self made drilling missions.

I don't like bandits from nowhere, but two other things I dislike even more:

1) Why I supposed to fly at 10k feet? If doing it right from fuel management perspective it is very slow (~350 knots ground speed)?

2) Why tankers so slow? Recommended tanker speed is 270 knots and AFAIK real hornet pilots prefer even 300 knots, but in the campaign we get 180 knots which is so slow that AI accelerate to ~195 knots after "Ready pre-contact".

P.S. I'm on second(or third) mission of Serpent's Head 2 now and absolutely love the writing, such as "with morning coffee taste on the lips"

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

Hi Badger,

in the „Snake Trap” mission the long discussed gun accuracy bug has hit me again, at the dam scenario. The gun has shot very long again (impacting rather somewhere at the top of the circular gun reticle instead of where the pipper dot pointed), and with the downward adjustment I got myself into the AAA envelope, and died.

Several guys reported it earlier, ED always wants to have the track as a proof, but the track of a 1,5 hour mission is very huge, and the problem is always at the end of the track, obviously. Can we edit the track file, or make a short snippet from the end of it showing the bug only?

I’m also thinking about using the M-83 bomb to take them out, but the mission asks for gun at the dam, and I’m afraid I would need the 83 later.

Any advise?

25 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

Hi Badger,

in the „Snake Trap” mission the long discussed gun accuracy bug has hit me again, at the dam scenario. The gun has shot very long again (impacting rather somewhere at the top of the circular gun reticle instead of where the pipper dot pointed), and with the downward adjustment I got myself into the AAA envelope, and died.

Several guys reported it earlier, ED always wants to have the track as a proof, but the track of a 1,5 hour mission is very huge, and the problem is always at the end of the track, obviously. Can we edit the track file, or make a short snippet from the end of it showing the bug only?

I’m also thinking about using the M-83 bomb to take them out, but the mission asks for gun at the dam, and I’m afraid I would need the 83 later.

Any advise?

can use  any  weapon  you got 🙂

26 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

Hi Badger,

Any advise?

Yes you can use any weapon you have left. The idea of gun use is just to spread the use of weapons in the campaign.

No you can’t edit the Track file as far as I am aware. It’s a big problem Campaign creators have. If we find things the tracks are far too big. Also they are not that reliable especially in dogfight situations. Normally what you need to do is create a small vanilla mission demonstrating the issue. 

Could the issue be related to the sudden change  in ground height of the dam edge confusing the Hornets sighting system. Not sure, and probably why you need to get quite close. Also try making a few bursts on approach correcting by looking at the impact points.

Hope this helps.

Badger634

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 6 months later...

Snake trap Mission

I usually destroy the first targets with AGM64-E as Axeman request. After that they call me back for help as a BTR 80 is closing to the ground team. I try few times to lock on the BTR with the AGM64-F as requested but on the MFD the vehicle shape is so tiny, even with  FOV selected, so I have to get close....less than 5 nm and below 12000 feet to acquire the target with my Maverick's uncaged aiming cross. That results is being an easy target for the SA18 positioned not far from. I sharply turn and release flares as a devil but they always get me. Where am I wrong?

Hi

The targets are moving so use your radar in GMT mode which picks up moving vehicles.

Hope this helps

Badger633

On 9/5/2022 at 11:22 PM, Badger633 said:

Hi

The targets are moving so use your radar in GMT mode which picks up moving vehicles.

Hope this helps

Badger633

Sorry Badger633 but GMT mode does not give me any track, looks like cannot find anything, I also tried to change azimuth and range with no joy.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:22 AM, Badger633 said:

At six and three knots, they are moving too slow to be detected in GMT:

Screenshot - Wed 07 Sep 22 , 23_50_22.jpg

If I increase their speed to 15 kts (the threshold, I believe, is 10 kts), GMT picks them up just fine:

Screenshot - Wed 07 Sep 22 , 23_57_04.jpg

But this introduces another problem, as the player only have about two minutes to destroy each vehicle after it has been spawned.

@stenji, if you just want to be done with this mission, equip a TGP.

Dima | My DCS uploads

I will have a look at the mission. It used to be quite easy to pick them up even with only the maverick page. Things over time have changed, I will review it.

Badger633

19 hours ago, Badger633 said:

I will have a look at the mission. It used to be quite easy to pick them up even with only the maverick page. Things over time have changed, I will review it.

Badger633

Well, even at 7 nm I can't really lock the enemy vehicle using FOV in the MAV Display, it looks tiny like a cat. I get closer to lock it on and fire the AGM64-F but, at that point I become a pretty easy target for the the SA-18's. 

@Minsky Thanks for the hint, eventually I'll do that even if I'd prefer not changing the mission default loadout.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, stenji said:

@Minsky Unfortunately, neither GMT or ATFLIR find something. Apparently ther is no BTR shape, only its TAG appears. Even with a fly by I cannot see it.

Forget GMT, right now it's useless.

They are extremely difficult to spot, but it's doable. Try using TGP in "TV" mode instead of "FLIR".

Both vehicles are driving along the red line. You can either spot them in the blue area while they're still moving, or wait until they stop.

Use active pause and free camera if you have to. The green road could be a good landmark to help you point the TGP in the right direction.

The JTAC is immortal, so take as much time as needed.

Screenshot - 220918 18_27_37.jpg

Screenshot - 220918 18_06_17.jpg

Dima | My DCS uploads

Been busy with new campaign but will look at this issue and come up with a solution so that there is no requirement to load the TGP as this comes later in the campaign.

EDIT: Have now fixed this so vehicles are picked up by radar in GMT mode no need for TGP. Will be in next update.

Edited by Badger633
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 8:25 PM, stenji said:

Now it works as a charm. Thanks.

No problem, enjoy the rest of the campaign 🙂👍

• 2 months later...

What does that "simplified refueling" mean in practic? More fuel in planes? No wake turbulence? No refueling at all? I´m kinda bad tanker, but it goes. Hav now flown 4 missions, and wondered after msn 3 refueling taking about 2 hours for me ( :D), that if I restart that how much  does that differ if chosen that simplified vrsn?

Edited by Wiggo

1 hour ago, Wiggo said:

What does that "simplified refueling" mean in practic? More fuel in planes? No wake turbulence? No refueling at all? I´m kinda bad tanker, but it goes. Hav now flown 4 missions, and wondered after msn 3 refueling taking about 2 hours for me ( :D), that if I restart that how much  does that differ if chosen that simplified vrsn?

means  that you dont  need  to  do  a  air air  refuel 

12 hours ago, Wiggo said:

The EZ refuel option means you just have to fly at the correct speed and position behind the tanker as if you were doing an air to air refuel. You will then automatically progress to the next part of the mission. You do not have to catch the basket and maintain the connection during the refuel, this is the most difficult part, until with a lot of practice, you learn how to do it.

I included this option as it allows fellow pilots who are not able to refuel yet to still take part in longer missions.

Of course it does mean when you eventually learn to carry out a normal refuel you can replay the campaign again using the normal version. 

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 7:14 PM, Badger633 said:

The EZ refuel option means you just have to fly at the correct speed and position behind the tanker as if you were doing an air to air refuel. You will then automatically progress to the next part of the mission. You do not have to catch the basket and maintain the connection during the refuel, this is the most difficult part, until with a lot of practice, you learn how to do it.

I included this option as it allows fellow pilots who are not able to refuel yet to still take part in longer missions.

Of course it does mean when you eventually learn to carry out a normal refuel you can replay the campaign again using the normal version. 

Thank you. It seems that there is just unlimited fuel put on ... But does not matter anyway, anymore. I mastered the refueling, (or hammered would be better word for it... )couple of times, cause of that mission, and now I can do it kinda anywhere, while tanked in 30kn crosswind in campaign. It was good afterall. I have long time kinda been hiding to train AAR. But now it goes ! thanks anyway. Now strugling with Raven One campaign mission 2. Dont have a goddam clue what im supposed to do 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wiggo said:

Thank you. It seems that there is just unlimited fuel put on ... But does not matter anyway, anymore. I mastered the refueling, (or hammered would be better word for it... )couple of times, cause of that mission, and now I can do it kinda anywhere, while tanked in 30kn crosswind in campaign. It was good afterall. I have long time kinda been hiding to train AAR. But now it goes ! thanks anyway. Now strugling with Raven One campaign mission 2. Dont have a goddam clue what im supposed to do 😄

Hi, glad you have got A2A refuel down. That’s the purpose of the campaign is to bring pilots on bit by bit.

Yes easy refuel gives a fixed fuel load but you still have to get in the right position and at the right speed to progress the mission. Not perfect but does allow pilots who cannot yet carry out A2A refuel still to take part in long missions increasing their experience. Also when they can, they can replay the campaign in normal mode.

If you like, try my next campaign in the series, ‘Rise of the Persian Lion’ which as the last, will task you but in a progressive way. It also continues Fords exploits  in the Persian Gulf.

Hope this helps 

Badger633

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:50 AM, Badger633 said:

Hi, glad you have got A2A refuel down. That’s the purpose of the campaign is to bring pilots on bit by bit.

Yes easy refuel gives a fixed fuel load but you still have to get in the right position and at the right speed to progress the mission. Not perfect but does allow pilots who cannot yet carry out A2A refuel still to take part in long missions increasing their experience. Also when they can, they can replay the campaign in normal mode.

If you like, try my next campaign in the series, ‘Rise of the Persian Lion’ which as the last, will task you but in a progressive way. It also continues Fords exploits  in the Persian Gulf.

Hope this helps 

Badger633

Actually, now that I´ve heard that its yours, I think that I will buy it next week... 

Edited by Wiggo
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

Actually, now that I´ve heard that its yours, I think that I will buy it next week... 

Hope you enjoy. Check you have the Persian map though as you will need it for this one.

• Like 1