AI Callout Spotting Aircraft Far Beyond Radar Range

My wingman in a MiG-21bis called out an F-5 from 50 km away which is not possible to be spotted with the on-board radar. There were no other visual cues such as contrails for it to make sense otherwise.

Just asking:

Maybe the RWR of your wingman made him doing the call-out.

The radar of the F-5 might be emitting far beyond the "40" miles range in which in can detect targets, and thus it happend to me that I had a F-5 100 miles away on my RWR (I was flying the F-16 or F-14 I think).

The RWR displays in western aircraft have rings determining if the enemy radar is within a range where the weapon system of this aircraft could be a threat, or not ... at least this is my understanding.

But I don't have the MiG-21, so I cannot say if the RWR of this aircraft is able to determine this exactly.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Just asking:

Maybe the RWR of your wingman made him doing the call-out.

That is a good idea. However a RWR does not give a clue about the distance to the target as far as I know, especially not in the old MiG-21bis. Maybe that is different in the modern jets, but I think even the F-15C RWR does not have that information. Also that MiG-21bis RWR is definitely not accurate enough to give an exact heading. 50km are too far away to visually spot such a small plane.

Hi, can you please attach a track showing the issue?

May I ask why a track is needed? Do you work for ED, because I see you commenting a lot in the bug section for additional details.

First I didn't think of saving the track, but I remember similar issues have popped up in the past. It appeared in the trivially scripted MiG-21bis Interception mission.

The AI is notoriously screwy, and spotting is part of it. For example, Mig-19 wingmen can call RWR spikes all around them, even though the RWR in the Farmer only covers very close radars to the rear of the aircraft.

I'm afraid this is one of those things that will remain in DCS until ED fully rework the AI

May I ask why a track is needed? Do you work for ED, because I see you commenting a lot in the bug section for additional details.
No, I don't work for ED. :huh:

I simply enjoy DCS like you and I want 2 things: helping people out and having the best combat sim ever (this means identifying what causes bugs so ED can fix them faster).

For those who help (be it ED staff or volunteers like me), it is way easier to have a track/video/log file/whatever. I don't need proof that this happened in front of your eyes, I believe you. I just need an angle to start from. Also, I don't have that much spare time to try again and again on my own until I see the described event happen. That is why a track is always welcome: it contains the actions (will I be able to reproduce it on my rig?) but also the mission itself (one can edit the mission to see what triggers/does not trigger the issue).

I don't own the MiG-21 module (yet), and I don't even know if I can replay the action without it, but someone else surely can.

TL;DR

If you want a thorough investigation (and eventually a fix), provide a track.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Track shows what you see and there is no need for guesses and telling stories of who did what (when they work). If they can replay the issue in a track, then they can track it, investigate and work on a fix.

Without it.... pretty much chasing a needle in a hay stack, trying to match all the conditions

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days