Helios 1.6 - Official Thread

and: Patching DCS 2.5.6.52437 would fail

DCS 2.5.6.52437 FAILED TO APPLY PATCH TO Mods/aircraft/A-10C/cockpit/Scripts/CMSC_init.lua:CONTENT_NOT_FOUND

please install a newer Helios distribution or pathes with support for this DCS version

You need to remove any viewport mods that you have installed either by copying in files or via a mod manager like OVGME. You obviously have a modified CMSC_init (most likely copied in from Capt Zeen’s monitor config mods from the previous version.). All that is no longer necessary, so please just remove any viewport mods or perform the DCS repair to reset to the files as they are released by Eagle Dynamics.

Helios 1.6 expects your DCS files to be “clean” around the parts of the files where it wants to put in modifications for your viewports. You can install other mods and modify files, but not exactly where it wants to insert the viewport names etc.

Firstly many thanks for your great work. The new Helios virtual cockpit has aligned the F18 much better than my numerous attempts by pixel calculating in version 1.4.

Also apologies if my ineptitude with Helios has caused my confusion.

I followed the quickstart video for fresh install with Capt Zeen 1.6 profiles and it kinda worked. MFDs we’re correctly displayed but i could not click on any of the cockpit buttons. To resolve the issue, i restarted and followed the video for the upgrade of 1.4 profile to Helios 1.6 and that worked.

So if wanted to use Capt Zeen’s new 1.6 F18 profile from where I am, what should I do?

i am unsure what to do, especially if Capt Zeen releases a new F18 profile with new features.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

Edited by danielwwm

Firstly many thanks for your great work. The new Helios virtual cockpit has aligned the F18 much better than my numerous attempts by pixel calculating in version 1.4.

Also apologies if my ineptitude with Helios has caused my confusion.

I followed the quickstart video for fresh install with Capt Zeen 1.6 profiles and it kinda worked. MFDs we’re correctly displayed but i could not click on any of the cockpit buttons. To resolve the issue, i restarted and followed the video for the upgrade of 1.4 profile to Helios 1.6 and that worked.

So if wanted to use Capt Zeen’s new 1.6 F18 profile from where I am, what should I do?

i am unsure what to do, especially if Capt Zeen releases a new F18 profile with new features.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

What you are reporting is very strange. Installing the ready-made 1.6 versions of profiles is actually way less complicated and I haven’t seen any reports of failed installs where the exports just don’t work.

I would love to see the configuration that you ended up with when it failed, but I guess you have already deleted it? Do you have a backup of your Scripts folder from when you installed 1.6 profiles and it broke?

In any case, I would love to help you install the 1.6 version of the F18 profile and see if it fails again, so that I can improve the product. Do you have discord?

I hang out here all day helping people: https://discord.gg/qtvdVWc

I just wanted to say thanks to the peeps working behind the scenes to keep this project alive and make Helios easier and easier to use - especially for people like me.

The latest version of Helios is really excellent and adds so much to DCS.

I'm really grateful for everyone's hard work. Cheers.

The Indicator Freeze

I installed Helios 1.6 correctly, and i can see the panel on my monitor. But after i open the DCS World, the indicator such as Altitude, Air Speed, ADI and HSI are freeze, they don't show the correct number in the game, what's the problem? My DCS World is installed from Steam.

I installed Helios 1.6 correctly, and i can see the panel on my monitor. But after i open the DCS World, the indicator such as Altitude, Air Speed, ADI and HSI are freeze, they don't show the correct number in the game, what's the problem? My DCS World is installed from Steam.

For details, other aircrafts are normal, but it isn't work on FC3 aircrafts.

For details, other aircrafts are normal, but it isn't work on FC3 aircrafts.

Capt Zeen's FC3 profiles have not yet been ported to 1.6. That's why his download page message says he will do those soon.

I resolved the bug you filed by creating a version of the F15 profile that works with 1.6.

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/issues/318

Hi Gang,

I was just wondering if Phidgets or other lighting systems interfaces will be added in the future.

Keep up the good work!

-Thanks,

Fenmonster

Hi lads!

1.6 looks very slick- well done! I love the idea of not having to manually move viewports pixel by pixel anymore.

Question- Has anyone managed to get a Phidgets64 LED board working with this? I just tried 1.6 then and it doesnt see my Phidgets64 as an interface, as 1.4 didnt.

My cockpit is still running Gadrocs original release! Would love to update- but i need my caution box!

Cheers

:thumbup:

AoA indexer and RWR mask

Just dropping by with some latest findings. First things first, you guy's have done a stunning job with the new Helios and profiles. I've edited the scripts so my hardware can tap into the reports.

As I recently upgraded to Helios 1.6 and adopted Captain Zeen's latest profiles for the Hornet, I discovered that my AoA stopped working. It took me some time to compare the code with DCS BIOS which fortunately is still working, and I found that ED/Belsimtek has changed the export value type for AoA lamps from integer to float. And when these lamps light up their values are all smaller than 1, which would always read as 0 if probed as integers.

So in Helios_F18C.lua from the Mods folder, I changed the format argument within these lines:

Helios_Udp.Send("483", string.format("%.1d", mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value( 4)) )   -- CPT_LTS_AOA_HIGH 	>  "Caution Panel", "GUN UNSAFE", "Lit if gun is capable of being fired."
Helios_Udp.Send("487", string.format("%.1d", mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value( 5)) )   -- CPT_LTS_AOA_CENTER	>  "Caution Panel", "OXY LOW", "Lit if oxygen gauge indices 0.5 liters or less."
Helios_Udp.Send("490", string.format("%.1d", mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value( 6)) )   -- CPT_LTS_AOA_LOW      	>  "Caution Panel", "SEAT NOT ARMED", "Lit if ground safety lever is in the safe position."

from "%.1d" to "%0.1f".

Without the changes Helios would have thought these lamps remained off and never refreshed them after the initialization.

For a moment I thought maybe we could adapt the DCS BIOS approach which treats anything less than 0.5 as 0, as shown in their following code:

if dev0:get_argument_value(arg_number) < 0.5 then
 value:setValue(0)
else
 value:setValue(1)
end

But then it occurred to me that the AoA Indexer is actually dimmable, maybe that's why they switched from integer to float? As I turned down the AoA brightness knob on the HUD panel, I found that the "ON" value of these three lamps also dropped from 0.9 to 0.1, (but the in-game indexer didn't seem to be dimmed, maybe it's still a WIP) So for these indicators we clearly can't use 0.5 as a threshold.

It wasn't a problem for me, as I processed the float value in my own software. But thought you guys might need to know and decide what to do with it. I'm not a professional programmer and I would never have come up with something like Helios. But at least I could try to help improve it.

On another note, I see what you've done with zooming in the latest profile editor GUI versions, now I can hold down Ctrl and use mouse wheel to zoom in and out, which feels much more convenient than the older versions. It'd be even cooler if the zoom could be implemented with the mouse cursor as center.

I'd like to show you a small touch I've made with my F/A-18C profile. I've noticed that the legacy RWR viewport doesn't come with the greenish filter mask, so I've made one for myself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=244976&stc=1&d=1597663264

I just put an empty panel over the viewport area and loaded a png image with alpha settings. Here's the raw png file I've made:

attachment.php?attachmentid=244977&stc=1&d=1597663264

End results looked close to what I was going for.

attachment.php?attachmentid=244981&stc=1&d=1597665973

I'm sure Captain can make a much better one if he is interested. Thanks and keep the good work guys.

1478067401_HelioswithRWRMask.png.6e3e167d46d89e0391472c6f40b9d0b1.png

RWR-Mask.thumb.png.12fa167da134a9768956c7aacdaab43f.png

479845473_PhysicalResults.jpg.d469fb7c7b0e2cf9de7e3164325c96e5.jpg

Hi lads!

1.6 looks very slick- well done! I love the idea of not having to manually move viewports pixel by pixel anymore.

Question- Has anyone managed to get a Phidgets64 LED board working with this? I just tried 1.6 then and it doesnt see my Phidgets64 as an interface, as 1.4 didnt.

My cockpit is still running Gadrocs original release! Would love to update- but i need my caution box!

Cheers

Unfortunately, there is currently nobody working on Phidgets for Helios. I think the old Phidgets 2.1 interface broke over time and anyway that API is deprecated by Phidgets.

I did some stuff with Phidgets 2.2 for my own setup, but it isn't going to get released (no time to support more stuff.) So if someone was to join the team and maintain Phidgets support again, that would be great.

//

As I recently upgraded to Helios 1.6 and adopted Captain Zeen's latest profiles for the Hornet, I discovered that my AoA stopped working. It took me some time to compare the code with DCS BIOS which fortunately is still working, and I found that ED/Belsimtek has changed the export value type for AoA lamps from integer to float. And when these lamps light up their values are all smaller than 1, which would always read as 0 if probed as integers.

So in Helios_F18C.lua from the Mods folder, I changed the format argument within these lines:

Helios_Udp.Send("483", string.format("%.1d", mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value( 4)) )   -- CPT_LTS_AOA_HIGH 	>  "Caution Panel", "GUN UNSAFE", "Lit if gun is capable of being fired."
Helios_Udp.Send("487", string.format("%.1d", mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value( 5)) )   -- CPT_LTS_AOA_CENTER	>  "Caution Panel", "OXY LOW", "Lit if oxygen gauge indices 0.5 liters or less."
Helios_Udp.Send("490", string.format("%.1d", mainPanelDevice:get_argument_value( 6)) )   -- CPT_LTS_AOA_LOW      	>  "Caution Panel", "SEAT NOT ARMED", "Lit if ground safety lever is in the safe position."

from "%.1d" to "%0.1f".

outstanding! I can fix the Helios-provided interface for F-18, but Capt Zeen's module uses its own as you know. So he will have to fix that in his stuff.

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/issues/319

Edited by derammo

Hi lads!

Cheers

You and me both! :thumbup:

Fenmonster

After updating to the latest Open Beta version of DCS, I am unable to load any of my Helios Profiles.

I am getting a warning notice, saying:

"Patching DCS 2.5.6.53756 would fail

DCS 2.5.6.5376 failed to apply patch to

Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_G

roup\AMPCD\Indicator\BAKE\AMPCD_bake_page.lua:

CONTENT_NOT_FOUND

please install a newer Helios distribution or patches with

support for this DCS version"

Is anyone else having this problem? If not, can anyone suggest a solution?

out of curiosity, would you have preferred to get a popup in Helios that makes you actually upgrade your Helios to a new build to get these patches upgraded? I decided not to do that because I wanted to demonstrate we can fix it without compilation, but maybe that wasn't as user friendly as just upgrading to a new build.

Release 1.6.3214.0 is now "general availability" and is recommended for all users.

This is the release that adds Steam support properly. If you were previously using a workaround, please make sure to read the release notes carefully to clean that up.

release notes:

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/releases/tag/1.6.3214.0

download:

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/releases/download/1.6.3214.0/Helios_Installers.zip