Helios 1.6 - Official Thread

Please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. Also, please direct me to any threads covering this inquiry.

While I love the ease in which Capt Zeens profile for the A10C II allows you to setup the viewports, what I am struggling with is the ability to modify his profile. What I'm wanting to accomplish is to have a profile more in line with Capt LozSM v2.1 profile where each panel(AHCP, Fuel, Landing Gear panel...) are all individual panels with their corresponding buttons/switches that I can move around and resize as needed. I have the Thrustmaster Cougar pack which I have mounted to the upper left and right corners of my 1920x1080 touchscreen that I would like to use.  The issue with Capt Zeen's profile is that everything on the front dash is all on one layer and I can't move/resize each panel individually and get rid of the left and right MFCD frames/bezels. I've tried to use Capt Loz's SM v2.1 profile in the new version of Helios(1.6.3605.0) but I can't seem to get it to work properly.

I'd also would like to make the panels look nice and new like in the game(non worn look) and have two Helios profiles, one that looks like the cockpit during the day and one that looks like the cockpit at night for night ops. I have attached some nice clean day and night panels so you can se what I'm talking about. I downloaded those images from the internet but I would like to know if anyone has extracted the new non worn panel images from the actual game.

Here is a pic of my issue(A10 Setups) and an old photo(433) of my older setup using a non-touchscreen using Capt Loz profile that I modified slightly to fit my requirements.

Panel Day Night.jpg

433.jpg

A10 Setup 2.jpg

i7-8700k 3.70mhz|64GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw V 3200|ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 8G GDDR6|AsRockZ390 Extreme4|2 Samsung 870QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860EVO 500GB|Corsair 750D|Corsair H-100i|Corsair AX750|LG 34GN850-B|Acer UT241Y|TM Cougar MFDs| Buddyfox UFC|TM Warthog HOTAS(Modified Spring/Slew Control Stick, Upgraded PCB, Stick Extension)|Saitek Combat Pedals|Corsair Nightsword|Corsair K70|TrackIR5|Custom A-10C Panels|

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding how Helios writes the monitor set-up file.

Previously I was using a 4 monitor set-up with the only monitor not used for DCS being on the left. The old monitor set-up file I used is attached as well. I always understood that it wasn't possible to NOT have DCS start rendering from the top left corner of my set up but I guess I was able to do it with my old custom monitor set-up file.20211004_162107.pngDCS Old monitor set up.png

I recently bought two new slightly larger small monitors with the intent of having Helios render the F-16's RWR, DED, back-up ADI and Fuel Flow indicator in addition to the Left and Right MFDs. I attached a screenshot of how windows views my display set-up.

CurrentWindowsDisplaySettings.png

HeliosMonitorSetUp.png

From my little bit of tinkering with Helios I don't think I am able to NOT get a DCS black screen on my left-most monitor (#2). I would like to be able to use my left-most monitor for other things such as discord while I play DCS. I could just physically move my monitor #2 all the way over to the right but I don't really want to do that. Is it possible for me to write my own monitor set-up lua like I did before but still include things like the DED and RWR while I have Helios just worry about rendering the gauges on monitor 4? Maybe there is a setting in Helios I am missing or is this a limitation of Helios itself?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give on this issue.

For anyone still having the old problem with the update/frame rate of Helios being very slow I think I may have found another significant contributor: Nvida control panel has an option called "Power Management Mode". On digging a but into what this exactly does it seems that it is primarily designed to allow the user to tell the GPU to override certain scheduling and prioritisation when the GPU is throttling inappropriately.  It's not akin to a power management setting as most people are familiar with.

The emphasis is important, since the name of the setting does not imply at all that it's only for use in this situation! Key point - if this setting is set to "Maximum Performance" for DCS it can cause the lagging behaviour seen in Helios, presumably because the Nvida drivers are doing as instructed and overriding any throttling on the DCS process, including I assume anything making space for other graphics processes like the scheduler trying to make time for Helios to render!

At least on my card (2070Super) setting this to "Maximum Performance"" for the DCS process can induce the Helios lag reliably, and it goes away by changing this one setting back to off.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

Edited by Scaley

I’ve been having the slow refresh rate issue for a few weeks now, I’ll give this setting thing a go before I go and edit the Helios 16 file, issue is I don’t have an “off” setting at all, I only have the following options

- optimal power (nvidia recommended setting)

- adaptive 

- prefer maximum performance 

I’ve selected max performance, made it for all programs too lol, I kind of figure that may be the same as off

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

8 hours ago, Scaley said:

For anyone still having the old problem with the update/frame rate of Helios being very slow I think I may have found another significant contributor: Nvida control panel has an option called "Power Management Mode". On digging a but into what this exactly does it seems that it is primarily designed to allow the user to tell the GPU to override certain scheduling and prioritisation when the GPU is throttling inappropriately.  It's not akin to a power management setting as most people are familiar with.

If it's the MFD extraction that you are referring to Helios's latest updates have removed the issue in the "other F16" sim. In fact it was updated to ver. 1.6.5101.0000 a day or two ago.. not sure of the implications to DCS but now Helios can be used for all extractions "over there"...

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

11 hours ago, PSYKOnz said:

I’ve been having the slow refresh rate issue for a few weeks now, I’ll give this setting thing a go before I go and edit the Helios 16 file, issue is I don’t have an “off” setting at all, I only have the following options

- optimal power (nvidia recommended setting)

- adaptive 

- prefer maximum performance 

I’ve selected max performance, made it for all programs too lol, I kind of figure that may be the same as off

Sorry, I've updated the post to reflect the actual terms used in the current NVidia Control panel.  Maximum Performance is exactly what you need to NOT select.  Forcing that on the DCS process is (I think) one of the ways to cause the problem.  I'd leave DCS set to adaptive.  What you set Helios to doesn't seem to make a huge difference.  

There also appears to be some possible interaction with the Setting in Windows Graphics settings.  Adding a custom profile for Helios and DCS both set to "High Performance" rather than "Let Windows Decide" helped as well.  

Edited by Scaley

I have just stumbled across the continuation of this topic - it appears to have been hidden from me for some time, presumably because I very rarely sign in.  

Having re-found it I shall spend some time trawling through it for advice - I have never got on with Discord. But I am rambling again!

I have been using Helios for some years, normally with Capt Zeen's (praised be his name) excellent profiles usually modified to suit my fancy.  Unfortunately, over the years, my brain has not kept pace and I find myself having to seek advice.  Basically I have screwed up my system by re-arranging my three monitors.  But, Helios has rapped me over knuckles and has demanded that I re-realign my monitors.  I seem to recall that, in the past, it was possible to do this by entering the required co-ordinates and sizes of the monitors directly, but I can no longer find how to do this.  I have tried to correct my set-up by sliding the miniscule monitors in the currently provide Monitor layout, but this has proved unsuccessful.

To come, finally, to the point, can anyone tell me how to align monitors with each other by typing in the know sizes and required positions of each of them?  At the moment one is 2 pixels out of place and the other 11 pixels!

Thanks for listening.

The only way I know of setting monitor positions by text input is to use a 3rd party tool like MutliMonitorTool.

Once you have your monitor positions set then in Helios Profile editor use Profile>Reset Monitors to update the Helios profile with the current monitor positions from Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello at @ all

I do encounter a  little problem. May you could help me 

Current Helios Build  1.6.5101.0000

Where do get the right lua information?

I tried following lua line:

0.0=N,0.1=I,0.2=A,0.3=U,0.4=F

and

1=M,2=I,3=A,4=U,5=F

none of them work 

thanks in advance Elmo

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Edited by flyelmo

ASUS Maximus XI CODE Z390 | I9 9900K (5GHz)  | G-Skill TridentZ 32GB 4000MHz | RTX 3090Ti | Creative AE-9 | Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB | VR Headset HP Reverb G2 rev2

• 5 weeks later...

A few inputs before this one, Derammo gave 2 discord links to Capt Zeen’s and Derramo’s discord sites.  I have never found discord easy to use, and I have had no more success using the 2 addresses given.  I get an invitation to join, but when I click on it, I am told that the addresses are invalid.

Can anyone help me?

Edited by flyco

1 hour ago, flyco said:

A few inputs before this one, Derammo gave 2 discord links to Capt Zeen’s and Derramo’s discord sites.  I have never found discord easy to use, and I have had no more success using the 2 addresses given.  I get an invitation to join, but when I click on it, I am told that the addresses are invalid.

Can anyone help me?

Yeah, by default discord invite links only last 7 days. Here's a persistent on to the Capt Zeen discord (which, despite the name, is the main Helio place to be).

https://discord.gg/mPGXaEQzev

1 hour ago, flyco said:

Same again.  I get the invitation to join, but when I click on it I get a statement that the address is invalid.  I am using an I-pad - I don’t know if that is anything to do with it.

I have zero experience with apple products, but the link works on 3 PCs and 2 android devices I've tried.  Might be worth trying it on anther device I guess. You could also try the link from the homepage of the CaptZeen website.

http://www.captzeen.com/helios/index.asp

https://discord.gg/sS66aJf

Edited by Scaley

---- UPDATE ---- found the solution on discord ---- problem is with mirage viewports

Hi all. i am the latest version of Open beta and latest Helios...This is error i get when loading profile through profile editor:

{
  "product": "Helios",
  "version": "1.6.5101.0",
  "items": [
    {
      "report": [
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/05/2022 06:59:48.764 PM",
          "status": "Helios viewport patches installation would fail"
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/05/2022 06:59:48.764 PM",
          "status": "Some patches would fail to apply.  No patches have been applied."
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/05/2022 06:59:18.411 PM",
          "severity": 2,
          "status": "DCS installation in 'T:\\Games\\DCS World OpenBeta' failed to apply patch to Mods\\aircraft\\M-2000C\\Cockpit\\VTB\\VTB_init.lua: CONTENT_NOT_FOUND\r\nThe patch could not locate the expected content section (searching near character 1478):",
          "code": [
            {
              "text": "iewport(\"RIGHT_M",
              "lineEnding": 0
            }
          ]
        },
        {
          "timeStamp": "01/05/2022 06:59:18.413 PM",
          "severity": 2,
          "status": "DCS 2.7.9.18080 could not be patched using version 002_007_00006_13436_00000 of the patches.  You may need a newer distribution of Helios or of the patches.",
          "recommendation": "Please make sure you do not have viewport mods installed and run a DCS Repair (slow mode) to clean up DCS."
        }
      ],
      "name": "Configuration Results"
    }
  ]
}

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

---- UPDATE ---- found the solution on discord ---- problem solved with manualy editing vieports file

I am having a new problem with f14 helios profile on my 2 screen both at 1920x1080 resolution.. Mfd  screens are wrongly sized.. VDI is streched over HSD. Check this pic https://imgur.com/a/x8UrzYA.. How to resize them correctly? 

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

• 1 month later...

Would anyone kindly tell me where the library of images Helios stores things like the F16 bezel? I'd like to edit the image to only show the green lines and remove the black bezel entirely.

Any help would be great. The three "..." lead to Capt Zeen's image library but they dont have this exact RWR. 

This is the directory the image is supposedly coming from but I cant find it pn my PC: {Helios}/Interfaces/Falcon/RWR/rwr_bezel.png

Thanks everyone

image.png

Hello buddys!

I'm looking for export.lua files that works with FC3 aircrafts? And if anybody has any FC3 profiles to share (mig-29, Su-27, su25t, a10a or f15c front panel).

thks!!

Intel i5 11700F + H80 | 4x4GB 3200mhz RAM | AORUS ELITE B560M | Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256gb| KINGSTON SA400 480GB SSD | WD 500GB | Gigabyte GTX 1070 8GB | Antec 1200 PSU | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and homemade panels and rudder pedals | 24" Samsung T24C550 @60Hz 2ms | Opentrack 3 led clip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is their a Helios profile out there (not on Zeen's site that I see) for the Apache? Would really be nice to have.... 

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR