F-14A 1975 vs 1989

Southernbear

The F-14 as a result of the A's poor engine reliability was not allowed under normal operations to use it's afterburner on take off. The less needed fuel flow meant a flame out became less likely and it meant if it did happen as it has happened even on Mil power meant pilots if reacting quick enough had a much better change to counter act the A-symmetric thrust and save the aircraft.

Of course with some movies ect particularly in the Final Countdown and TOPGUN cinema era as these films were a good recruiting tool the Navy tended to allow full AB take offs for pictures or movies but it is technically a prohibited action during the the Tomcat's USN service.

Once the engines were switched to the F110 this rule became more or less redundant but was kept in the manuals/procedures for the F-14B and F-14D.

Sorry but this is completely erroneous: A models could cat launch in military power if lightly loaded as victory205 alludes to above. Otherwise afterburner was an absolute requirement.

The B and D were the models forbidden to cat launch in burner as there was so much thrust if they lost an engine on the cat stroke that the asymmetric thrust from the remaining good engine would be too powerful for the control surfaces to overcome at the low airspeed and high AOA conditions encountered one clear of the cat.

Reading that document, it's about a test proposal of how a FADEC could benefit the TF-30P-414 engine's stability. It talks about AICS (ramp) scheduling, the benefits of a FADEC, and proposed testing. Pages 4-5 focus on what a FADEC could help with, and indicate an improvement to thrust, not a loss. As it stands, the TF-30 never got a FADEC, so it doesn't seem relevant to me.

That said, maybe there was a change at some point, maybe the engine doesn't make as much thrust at a given airspeed and altitude in an attempt to improve stability; I know the AICS was reprogrammed and implemented in 1976, but frankly have no idea how much of an impact that would have had, and that's specific to the ramps scheduling, not the engine. BUT! That's just a maybe; the documentation I've seen so far points to the contrary.

No luck. Went through my entire archive (well, what's left of it) and found nothing further on the topic. So it's either no longer there and lost to time, or (most likely) i must have read it in some interview or some such .

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 2 weeks later...
You guy know that the throttles are on the starboard side of the cockpit in the F14A, right?

You're gonna have to switch your nifty simpits around before the A ships... ;)

Son of a........:)

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.