GBU-54

RSharpe

When might we expect this for the Hornet? Surely that's the reason for a 3D model with thermal ablative coating.

Is the USN even using the GBU-54?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Is the USN even using the GBU-54?

Yep they do, although they also have the GBU-12 DMLGB (Dual mode LGB). Similar but different to the LJDAM.

(DMLGB doesn’t extract target coordinates from the laser, it’s just GPS/INS or laser or laser override in terminal phase.)

Edited by AvroLanc

When might we expect this for the Hornet? Surely that's the reason for a 3D model with thermal ablative coating.

BigNewy already said we're not:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189136&page=262

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Yah, this is quite curious. Does the the USAF use thermally protected bombs at all? I don't think I've ever seen any photos of them. The Navy are the ones that are (understandably) paranoid about fire stability.

Maybe this is just a modeler building the two different versions he has reference photos of, since the textures would be pretty easy to duplicate? Or is someone at ED making plans BigNewy doesn't know about?

Like Swift I'm not normally one to ask for out of scope weapons to be added onto a module, but if they're already building L-JDAM for the A-10C II it'd be pretty cool if it trickled over to the Hornet.

Yes, legacy hornets did (and still do?) use GBU-54

Yep they do, although they also have the GBU-12 DMLGB (Dual mode LGB). Similar but different to the LJDAM.

(DMLGB doesn’t extract target coordinates from the laser, it’s just GPS/INS or laser or laser override in terminal phase.)

Good to know, thanks! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg