ADMIRAL189'S CORNER - INCOMING SHIP MODELS

Go to solution Solved by ivan-ivanov-1902,

On 8/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, Kappa-131st said:

Hi Admiral,
Does your Admiral Gorshkov class frigate have hypersonic Zircons missiles?

I'm sure he wouldnt do Zirkon missiles.

No one still know how does Zirkon look like.

But we should open a branch development and try to implement Zircon to Admiral Gorshkov. Lets use some stock model and create simple high speed missile model (profile of flight height: launch - 20 km - 45 km - 20 km - impact).

Edited by tripod3

1 minute ago, tripod3 said:

I'm sure he wouldnt do Zirkon missiles.

No one still know how does Zirkon looks like.

But we should open a branch development and try to implement Zircon to Admiral Gorshkov. Lets use some stock model and create simple high speed missile model (profile of flight height: launch - 20 km - 45 km - 20 km - impact).

That is precisly my question 😉

Hello friends, 

It’s been a while since I’ve perused this thread, I am amazed to see how much work the Admiral has been doing.  As it turns out there’s quite a few of you that have been helping to make the mods even better.  I had a question about textures, specifically on a few of the US Navy ships.  It seems that color is a little bit dark, which is probably an easy fix.  The bigger question that I wonder about the lack of actual texture: IE weld lines and hull plates, oil canning, rust, etc. if anyone would be so kind to answer……..is the main hull color just one simple color swatch?  Would there be a way to add some of the features I mentioned, you know a little bit a grit?  The ships are great, and an amazing addition to our simulator.  Just a small question not a complaint.  I’m wondering if the default ED textures from say the OHP or even the newer Burke could be utilized?  

Ref: AMERICA, Oak Hill, Kidd, etc.

-Woog

Edited by Woogey

31 minutes ago, Arrow11 said:

Do we have the USS Tarawa carrier in sim anymore? I can't find it though I can see other carriers. Has ED taken it down?

yes we still have it.

Screen_220825_152119.png

• Like 2

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

12 hours ago, Marroux said:

Aloha,

America_grey2.png

America_grey2_02.png

America 3.png

Aloha Sir, 

I think you can see what I’m saying, as a direct comparison with Tarawa.  The deck textures of America look really nice.  The Hull texture for the US Navy ships should all have the same color of Grey.  Since we can’t change the Default ships (which look pretty accurate IMHO) we should be trying to match them as best as possible.  This is why I wondered about sampling their existing texture color?  

-Woog 

P.S. Your wakes look really nice,  beautiful work!  

Hello Tripod, Adm Kasatonov is coming along pretty good but slow... I have been working other projects as well. 

I just finished all the damage textures.  I need to re-work the missile animations as they not working as I would like them to. I would like to release the Admiral with two other small patrol vessels as well. Stay tuned!!

Hey Woogey,  In most cases if the textures are dark it's usually the original textures that come with the model. They can be changed but it may not look so good. I'm always testing model textures. So in most cases I try to use "Haze Grey" which are the textures U.S. Navy ships use. I try to make the textures weathered a little bit as well but it doesn't always work well.  I did find a texture with weld lines. I will try to introduce it on my future models as best as I can.  Rust can be added as well but here's what i've found is some people like the clean look over the worn look.  Hope that answers your questions. 

"It seems that color is a little bit dark, which is probably an easy fix.  The bigger question that I wonder about the lack of actual texture: IE weld lines and hull plates, oil canning, rust"

• Like 4

On 8/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, Admiral189 said:

Hey Woogey,  In most cases if the textures are dark it's usually the original textures that come with the model. They can be changed but it may not look so good. I'm always testing model textures. So in most cases I try to use "Haze Grey" which are the textures U.S. Navy ships use. I try to make the textures weathered a little bit as well but it doesn't always work well.  I did find a texture with weld lines. I will try to introduce it on my future models as best as I can.  Rust can be added as well but here's what i've found is some people like the clean look over the worn look.  Hope that answers your questions. 

"It seems that color is a little bit dark, which is probably an easy fix.  The bigger question that I wonder about the lack of actual texture: IE weld lines and hull plates, oil canning, rust"

How would it work to make the below waterline hull a very dark gray with slight red rust color, or very dark red?  The bright red shows through the water too much.  Or a gradient from hull red at the waterline black stripe, darkening rapidly to very dark red, almost murky gray toward the keel? Just a thought.  No demands. 😀

Edited by Andrew8604
add more
  • Like 1

@Andrew 

This is a limitation of DCS water currently.  Your solution would work as a bandaid to make things look a bit more realistic.  Although in the real world, the “Hull Red” color does turn quite dark over time with the growth of algae and ocean life.  So one could say it is not a band Aid at all.  

I wish we had whole ship 2d style planform textures rather than the “sample” style of color only.  Then we could really get to making custom paints some a little more clean, others used and abused.  

-Woog

On 11/3/2021 at 6:01 AM, crazyeddie said:

Liveries for 6 new ships updated - Get them here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319023/

These liveries work in both Stable and OpenBeta, I have run both to verify. You MUST use the latest version of the ship for these to work, they wont work in earlier version. 

Hey Eddie,

The link is dead.  Do you still have the skins for the ships?

1 hour ago, crazyeddie said:

Here you go, my original link only had 3 liveries in it, this one contains all 7 that I did over a period of time. (I'm always tinkering with stuff !!)   

Any issues let me know. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5dw64ipvty2x2y/CrazyEddies HMCS Montreal Liveries.zip?dl=0

Thank you for this. one issue tho... when selecting one of the liveries the hull number stays in 336 and the flight deck stays in M L

9 hours ago, Babzo said:

Thank you for this. one issue tho... when selecting one of the liveries the hull number stays in 336 and the flight deck stays in M L

Have you deleted any previous version of the liveries pack, leaving older versions in the mod can cause issues.  Its unusual, but it happens.   And make sure you only have one version of the ship loaded into your tech folder.

In my liveries pack you will see HMCS Montreal, with a dark blue hull colour.  In game you will also see the default HMCS Montreal with a red hull colour. That red hull model is the default texture, originally made by Admiral.  That texture is not in the liveries folder, its held in the main texture file.  So, yes, there are 2 versions of Montreal, one is the default, the other is mine, pick the one you prefer.  

If you are loading one version of the ship but seeing a different version then there is something wrong with you liveries folder and I suggest deleting everything and load my liveries pack again. 

Let me know what happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crazyeddie said:

Have you deleted any previous version of the liveries pack, leaving older versions in the mod can cause issues.  Its unusual, but it happens.   And make sure you only have one version of the ship loaded into your tech folder.

In my liveries pack you will see HMCS Montreal, with a dark blue hull colour.  In game you will also see the default HMCS Montreal with a red hull colour. That red hull model is the default texture, originally made by Admiral.  That texture is not in the liveries folder, its held in the main texture file.  So, yes, there are 2 versions of Montreal, one is the default, the other is mine, pick the one you prefer.  

If you are loading one version of the ship but seeing a different version then there is something wrong with you liveries folder and I suggest deleting everything and load my liveries pack again. 

Let me know what happens.

Everything was deleted and I installed a new copy of the latest version of the Montreal and your most updated liveries.  the Hull changes color but the hull number stays in 336 and the flight deck stays in M L.

Okay, I just downloaded the latest version of Admirals Mod and I see the problem, I'm using an older edm and the problem does not happen with that.  I cant keep up with every mod change that happens and I missed this one completely.

I will rip the whole thing apart and see if I can do it again to see this liveries pack,  I'll post the answer on here when I have figured it out. 

Note - Admiral has given the textures different names so each description.lua in each ship folder will have to be redone to match the changes, that will take a bit of time.

Edited by crazyeddie
  • Thanks 1

Okay, here is the solution:  Forgive me if you know this already, I'm just covering all the bases. 

First - Make sure you have added the "Liveries" line to the entry.lua, the last one shown below.:  There is a new entry.lua in my zip file, you can just use that if you want, let it over ride the one that is in there now.

mount_vfs_model_path    (current_mod_path.."/Shapes/")                  -------------- already in there
mount_vfs_texture_path  (current_mod_path.."/Textures/")                                                 ditto
mount_vfs_texture_path  (current_mod_path.."/Textures/textures")                                   ditto
mount_vfs_liveries_path  (current_mod_path.."/Liveries/")                    ------------  this is a new line you need for the edm to see the liveries. 

Second:

Make sure you have a Liveries folder between Encyclopedia and Shapes and in that there is my folder named "HMCS Montreal FFH 336"  If there isnt one there you will have to add it yourself. 

Third:

Drop the new attached 'description.lua'' into each of my livery folders and let it over write the original.

Let me know its okay now ?

That's it - Somebody in ED  needs to brush up on their spelling - Encyclopaedia is spelt this way - sorry, just me being a bit British !!!  🥴

description.lua

Here is a fresh link with the descriptions updated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ailrw970th098n/CrazyEddies HMCS Montreal Liveries.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crazyeddie said:

Okay, here is the solution:  Forgive me if you know this already, I'm just covering all the bases. 

First - Make sure you have added the "Liveries" line to the entry.lua, the last one shown below.:  There is a new entry.lua in my zip file, you can just use that if you want, let it over ride the one that is in there now.

mount_vfs_model_path    (current_mod_path.."/Shapes/")                  -------------- already in there
mount_vfs_texture_path  (current_mod_path.."/Textures/")                                                 ditto
mount_vfs_texture_path  (current_mod_path.."/Textures/textures")                                   ditto
mount_vfs_liveries_path  (current_mod_path.."/Liveries/")                    ------------  this is a new line you need for the edm to see the liveries. 

Second:

Make sure you have a Liveries folder between Encyclopedia and Shapes and in that there is my folder named "HMCS Montreal FFH 336"  If there isnt one there you will have to add it yourself. 

Third:

Drop the new attached 'description.lua'' into each of my livery folders and let it over write the original.

Let me know its okay now ?

That's it - Somebody in ED  needs to brush up on their spelling - Encyclopaedia is spelt this way - sorry, just me being a bit British !!!  🥴

description.lua 287 B · 0 downloads

Here is a fresh link with the descriptions updated:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ailrw970th098n/CrazyEddies HMCS Montreal Liveries.zip?dl=0

Thank you. This worked