ADMIRAL189'S CORNER - INCOMING SHIP MODELS

Go to solution Solved by ivan-ivanov-1902,

Perhaps, USS Truxtun, USS Baimbridge and USS Long Beach CGs  could be added to the 70s list, or  will be enough with Leahy + Belknap ?

Its a pitty not having the CVN 68,69  SC, California class CGN and Virginia would go brilliant with them.

On 10/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, toni said:

What do yo tell me about the Iowa refit BBs ? The late 70s Iron beasts with Tomahawks would be interesting.

There has been a lot of back-and-forth chatter about the 80s Iowa refit in the forum, most of it over at HB pages. Nothing official just people throwing the idea out there here & there.  I think doing an 80s Iowa class is going to be a bit of a challenge and I know @Admiral189 has a lot on his plate already. I would not mind seeing a third-party dev team take on this.

Once Admiral has done his thing with the basic Montreal model and its uploaded I will recreate my Liveries Mod to go with that, it will include another 3 ships, all with slight variations and minor texture improvements, mainly around the flight deck. Over the years they all got slightly different things done to them.

I love this little ship too, and I have always loved Canada, when I visited on Exercises it was like Scotland was when I was a kid, I fell in love with and never fell out of love with it. Every visit was a treat.  

Apart from a very large bear in a forest clearing in Novs Scotia that scared the crap out of me ... when I say very large I mean in twice my height when the bugger stood up after I kicked it thinking it was a discarded carpet ... it was ginormous !!!!  Bloody glad I had a mini flare in my hand at the time !!

I know I know - who would discard an old carpet in a forest clearing 80 miles from the nearest town ... I didnt think that through at the time did I !!

Edited by crazyeddie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyeddie said:

Apart from a very large bear in a forest clearing in Novs Scotia that scared the crap out of me ... when I say very large I mean in twice my height when the bugger stood up after I kicked it thinking it was a discarded carpet ... it was ginormous !!!!  Bloody glad I had a mini flare in my hand at the time !!

I know I know - who would discard an old carpet in a forest clearing 80 miles from the nearest town ... I didnt think that through at the time did I !!

They don't call you crazyeddie for nothing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crazyeddie said:

Once Admiral has done his thing with the basic Montreal model and its uploaded I will recreate my Liveries Mod to go with that, it will include another 3 ships, all with slight variations and minor texture improvements, mainly around the flight deck. Over the years they all got slightly different things done to them.

I love this little ship too, and I have always loved Canada, when I visited on Exercises it was like Scotland was when I was a kid, I fell in love with and never fell out of love with it. Every visit was a treat.  

Could have been the photo of the year ! 😜

And the cover for the 😋 National Geographic magazine...

• Like 1

Hi Admiral!

I just began playing around with DCS and I found this thread with your mods. Absolutely the work you have done so far! I wanted to ask though if USS Kidd is supposed to have a yellow bottom? I downloaded it and followed the instructions to install it, though it feel as though something is not right as when I zoom in, it looks like a bunch of tiny higlighter yellow camo textures are making up the overall sections of the ships bottom.

Marroux, Taffy 3 was a task force which played an invaluable role in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. History Channel's Dogfights TV series did an episode on it many years back. A very interesting watch if you ask me.😉

One Eyed Ross, I think regarding ship mods for Taffy 3, I believe that the Fletcher Class Destroyer mod has USS Johnson, which was a part of Taffy 3 I think.

Screen_211028_222859.png

Screen_211028_223938.png

Screen_211028_223942.png

Screen_211028_230637.png

Screen_211028_230648.png

Hey NGWR!

I don't see any issues with the textures on the model. I haven't made any updates on her since the last release. I'm playing in the latest version of OPENBETA of DCS! I can upload my version if you like. Send me a PM and i will assist.

Hey Guys, Whenever you have issues with the models please PM Me and i will assist you. If i have to work backyards it slows down forward momentum. As mentioned before i have very little time to work on the models so it delays the release of the next model. I have been working on the Montreal the last couple days making corrections so the USS Bowen may or may not get released this weekend. Thank you all for continuing to show interest in the models.

MI4ydYI.png

q8O1tFk.jpg

Ummm ....

My DCS World 2.7.7 .15038 Open Beta reproduces the same Kidd problem as NGWR3455 says.

Screen_211031_081141.jpg

I uninstalled any other ships / vehicles / aircrafts mods , enabled only USS Kidd , but same result.

in dcs.log , lines referring Kidd are here ...

2021-10-30 23:10:17.495 ERROR   wWeaponSystemManager: Invalid area name (CABIN) for unit USS Kidd DD-993
2021-10-30 23:10:17.496 ERROR   wWeaponSystemManager: Invalid area name (ZA_HA) for unit USS Kidd DD-993
2021-10-30 23:10:18.608 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'waterline_texture' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.610 ERROR   BACKENDCOMMON: Texture 'c:/users/western/saved games/dcs.openbeta/mods/tech/uss kidd dd-993/textures/textures/Stack.dds' has compressed format but its size isn't multiples of 4.
2021-10-30 23:10:18.617 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'ciws_base_color' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.636 WARNING SECURITYCONTROL: IC fail: textures/white @ c:/users/western/saved games/dcs.openbeta/mods/tech/uss kidd dd-993/textures/textures
2021-10-30 23:10:18.645 ERROR   BACKENDCOMMON: Texture 'c:/users/western/saved games/dcs.openbeta/mods/tech/uss kidd dd-993/textures/textures/WOOD.dds' has compressed format but its size isn't multiples of 4.
2021-10-30 23:10:18.645 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'kidd-hull_update ii' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.648 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'waterline' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.648 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'kidd crest' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.649 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'lakerem_blurh' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.649 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'kidd_window (3)' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.664 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'steel2_t' not found. Asked from ''
2021-10-30 23:10:18.665 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'black_t' not found. Asked from ''

Modules: A-10C/II, F-5E, F-14A/B, F-15E, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, FC3, Ka-50-2/3, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, Mi-24P, AH-64D, P-51D
Maps: Nevada, PG, Syria, SA, Sinai, Channel, Normandy2.0      Assets etc.: CA, Sc, WW2AP
Mods and Skins in User Files: files/filter/user-is-western0221/ 

Screen_221018_005618c.jpg

Unfortunately Kidd's version 1.0.1 doesn't solve the problem.

But I've found. It is materials dependency.

USS Kidd calls its underwater hull texture and Phalanx CIWS texture from HMS Duncan folder.

When we've installed HMS Duncan , USS Kidd looks well.

When without HMS Duncan , then USS Kidd shows yellow underwater and yellow CIWS base.

• Like 2

Modules: A-10C/II, F-5E, F-14A/B, F-15E, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, FC3, Ka-50-2/3, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, Mi-24P, AH-64D, P-51D
Maps: Nevada, PG, Syria, SA, Sinai, Channel, Normandy2.0      Assets etc.: CA, Sc, WW2AP
Mods and Skins in User Files: files/filter/user-is-western0221/ 

Screen_221018_005618c.jpg

Not sure why that is Western. I don't seem to have the same issue whether with or without the Duncan.  As mentioned earlier Western. Please PM me with any issues you have and i will work with you to resolve them. thanks.

Amazing Toan! You have an entire ARG out there. Happy to see you are enjoying the mods. I seldom have the time too. I'm either creating or testing models.

I hoping to finish the Bowen today!  Stay Tuned!

I might be able to explain in part what's happening, here goes !!  If for some reason 2 different mods have the same named texture file in them, whichever mod appears first in the drop down receives precedence when the game goes looking for that texture.  For example if you have a US Flag on two different ships and you change one of them to another country by painting it differently, but keeping the same original name of course ... if that ship then appears first in the drop down and you launch your US Flagged ship, it will show the other country's flag ... because the game looks for it in the ship that appears above you ship in the ME drop down.  I have come across this many times in the past, it does not always happen though, but why that is ... is beyond me. 

There ... if you understand that can you explain it back to me again because I'm confused 😋 

• Like 1

Understood! 😄 Make sense!

Noted so i will go through and create unique textures for each vessel. However, its not as simple as changing the name. It will have to be updated in 3ds max for each texture.  USS Bowen will be the first! Thanks Eddie for explaining!! 

So for the Kidd i will try to update those textures.. However, it may be a while. For each problem that is reported on the mods. That is one day less to work on the next mod.  I only have weekends to work on them.. Remember i'm a one man shipyard!!  Thanks!!

Edited by Admiral189
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Admiral189 said:

Understood! 😄 Make sense!

Noted so i will go through and create unique textures for each vessel. However, its not as simple as changing the name. It will have to be updated in 3ds max for each texture.  USS Bowen will be the first! Thanks Eddie for explaining!! 

So for the Kidd i will try to update those textures.. However, it may be a while. For each problem that is reported on the mods. That is one day less to work on the next mod.  I only have weekends to work on them.. Remember i'm a one man shipyard!!  Thanks!!

I'd rename all textures from now on with the designation of the ship and then the name, example: LHA6_HULL.dds, DD993_BRIDGE.dds. You'll never repeat a name with this method. Hope it helps.

Awaiting for a finish result of the uss Kidd so I can make some spanish liveries(unfortunately, the spanish version had diferent weapons on the back of the ship).

2 hours ago, Admiral189 said:

Not sure why that is Western. I don't seem to have the same issue whether with or without the Duncan.  As mentioned earlier Western. Please PM me with any issues you have and i will work with you to resolve them. thanks.

Amazing Toan! You have an entire ARG out there. Happy to see you are enjoying the mods. I seldom have the time too. I'm either creating or testing models.

I hoping to finish the Bowen today!  Stay Tuned!

Well, I like to have large international  naval groups, including carrier and amphibious groups, and your Mods definitely give the unique opportunity to form very  realistic ones.

All your Mods are included, even if they are not visible on the screenshots.

Superb work you perform, indeed. 😀

Many thanks Admiral ! 👏

Edited by toan

The Discord group might be a good idea, get a mix of testers & modders that are interested in this, can share their exercise with ships in DCS & real life and use their talents to help with some of the issues, & help with some of the details so @Admiral189 does not have to stop what he working on.

I agree with @gonano4 take what you know now and implant it to the USS Bowen before releasing it, so you don’t have to go back and fix it.

2 hours ago, crazyeddie said:

I might be able to explain in part what's happening, here goes !!  If for some reason 2 different mods have the same named texture file in them, whichever mod appears first in the drop down receives precedence when the game goes looking for that texture.  For example if you have a US Flag on two different ships and you change one of them to another country by painting it differently, but keeping the same original name of course ... if that ship then appears first in the drop down and you launch your US Flagged ship, it will show the other country's flag ... because the game looks for it in the ship that appears above you ship in the ME drop down.  I have come across this many times in the past, it does not always happen though, but why that is ... is beyond me. 

There ... if you understand that can you explain it back to me again because I'm confused 😋 

Good morning. I was just reading your post! I had no idea you can change ship flags. I just don't understand how you do this? Thanks CrazyEddie for all your help and hard work! I would love to learn how to dreate liveries> I just don't have the Computer knowledge! Is there a paint kit you can download? I really enjoy your liveries, becuase I like to make DCS as realistic as possiable! In my opinion DCS World is by far the best Military Simulator on the market!! I also use Steal Beasts, have you heard of this simulator? It's the most realistic Tank simulator in the world! It's so good that many Counties, including Canada use Steal Beasts to train their tank crews!! I would check it out!