Better Trees for Caucasus V6

Taz1004,

Thanks so much man, much better than the bleach-blonde default trees in the sim 🙂

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

• 4 weeks later...

I tried it out yesterday as well, and it seems to be working.  (great mod via Taz!)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Maybe ED will "adopt" the Better Trees officially in the next update.  I was surprised and HAPPY when I found that the better trees was still working great in 2.7.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
fixed my pathetic grammar and made it less pathetic... lol.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

On 4/20/2021 at 4:06 PM, YSIAD_RIP said:

Maybe ED will "adopt" the Better Trees officially in the next update.  I was surprised and HAPPY when I found that the better trees was still worked great in 2.7.

Has ED stated that intent? That would be awesome!

1 hour ago, Lazerhawk said:

Has ED stated that intent? That would be awesome!

Well they seemed quite happy to adopt "Better Smoke"......

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

50 minutes ago, Lazerhawk said:
They integrated Taz's "Better Smoke"? That's awesome too. And sorry, I must be living under a rock

I was being a little sarcastic as yes they appeared to, code comments and all. With no credit to him. Which is generally considered a bit cheeky at best 😉

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

@zildacED certainly changed their particle engine, which gave us nice, fluffy smoke and beautiful flames, and probably helped with the clouds (although I don't know about this).

To say that they used Taz' excellent mod is an exageration, in my humble opinion.

Of course, you're right, in the past they sometimes used community work in the game ; but they always recognized the author (I know this, I'm one of them - an ancient one, at that ^^).

I think that they simply changed the smoke and fire of their engine in a way that paralleled Taz', which is logical : both are beautiful !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

On 4/27/2021 at 2:47 AM, davidp57 said:

@zildacED certainly changed their particle engine, which gave us nice, fluffy smoke and beautiful flames, and probably helped with the clouds (although I don't know about this).

To say that they used Taz' excellent mod is an exageration, in my humble opinion.

Of course, you're right, in the past they sometimes used community work in the game ; but they always recognized the author (I know this, I'm one of them - an ancient one, at that ^^).

I think that they simply changed the smoke and fire of their engine in a way that paralleled Taz', which is logical : both are beautiful !

Just commenting to clarify.  They did use part of my mod directly.  File name is PFXDust.fx   It is identical to my file and even included my notes which suggests ED just copied the file.  And I didn't see a recognition.  Again, I don't mind but just clarifying the fact.

EDIT:  Credit is given.  Thanks.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the clarification, Taz. 

I didn't have this information.

This is, indeed, not cool.

Even if you kindly don't mind, it's not good practice.

• Like 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Silly me, I got the low version and wondered why it looked no difference....

Thanks for the great work. Would you do this for other maps, like The Channel? Syria? (hint, hint)

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I recently bought Syria and PG but I still use Caucasus the most because it has most campaigns, missions and tutorials.  And I still recommend this tree mod over default for 2.7

Below is default with billboard trees that pop and flicker.  More noticeable in fullscreen.

Better Trees Dark with texture fixed

There's also the new Forest Details Factor which forces 2D billboard trees closer.  This seems to give nice FPS boost and my billboard trees do hold up fairly well at close range even when this option is set to lowest.  I actually prefer this option at lowest as it eliminates the bubble where that LOD transition happens which actually bothered me more.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yep..100% once you have seen the pop and flicker you can't "un-see" it.. lol. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

This trees mod is great and I find I cannot fly Caucasus without it.

However, as others have said, please do no saturate trees with snow, that would otherwise be green or just lightly covered in vanilla.

This is the only downside to an otherwise awesome improvement.

thanks

8 minutes ago, nzteddy said:

This trees mod is great and I find I cannot fly Caucasus without it.

However, as others have said, please do no saturate trees with snow, that would otherwise be green or just lightly covered in vanilla.

This is the only downside to an otherwise awesome improvement.

thanks

Just delete the winter from the mod.

Hi all,

Apologies as a bit new to this, but can I simply install this mod by unzipping and putting the files 'somewhere', or does it need a mod manager. Will V5 work with both stable 2.5 and beta 2.7 - as some of the thread seemed to indicate V4 was needed for the stable?

Additionally is there any hit to performance/FPS?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

23 minutes ago, Leg2ion said:

Hi all,

Apologies as a bit new to this, but can I simply install this mod by unzipping and putting the files 'somewhere', or does it need a mod manager. Will V5 work with both stable 2.5 and beta 2.7 - as some of the thread seemed to indicate V4 was needed for the stable?

Additionally is there any hit to performance/FPS?

If you don't want to use mod manager, you can unzip the "Mods" folder of the zip file into main install directory.  Idea is to replace the default files so replace/overwrite matching directory.

V5 will work with current 2.5 and 2.7

When using Low version, I get slightly better performance with the mod.  About 0.1ms - 0.2ms improvement in VR.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

Thanks @Taz1004 - appreciated. If I were to use a manager - is there a 'recommended' or more user friendly one over the others?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.