Better Trees for Caucasus V6

Nice Job ! :thumbsup:

I really appreciate the effort but...

Should be more real if...

Please check tree types/species what Causacus map use

Most of the conifers/pines/firs more or less are the same color in all seasons. (or snowy in winter)

Only deciduous trees should change colours/textures: vivid (incredibly) in spring, darker green in summertime, yellowish-rusty coloured in the autumn, and bald (no leaves) in dormancy/wintertime.

(however there are few deciduous conifers in the nature as well)

So only firs on (high) mountains should be always dark green. (or snowy)

:idea: K...another idea for a sub-version: what if: without leaves on deciduous trees/species at wintertime. Visible only (snowy) thick branches and trunk. (should use empty.dds (invisible texture) for leaves and thin branches)

Conifers are snowy as usual. :smilewink:

sign-pic4.jpg

Winter is coming

Indeed it is!

Now, a bit frosing on the stems, slightly more white on the conifers and a bit hanging branches on them as well and it's definitely here

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Still deciding on V3 Light vs Dark Trees. Winter Trees will be an "Early Christmas Present" LoL...

I just loaded the latest Mustang v1.32 as well. Fun times with the old Caucasus.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Still deciding on V3 Light vs Dark Trees. Winter Treas will be an "Early Christmas Present" LoL...

I just loaded the latest Mustang v1.32 as well. Fun times with the old Caucasus.

I'm actually readjusting all the seasons just for me. A bit between Dark and Light and a slightly more colorful. I'm trying to simulate what they look like with human eyes, not through camera. For VR.

But it's tricky and I'll probably take my time with it. Adjusting as I play various missions. If I ever feel it's different enough, I'll release it as Han Solo. :spam_laser:

V3 Trees in the Fall really nice!

Really enjoying the new Light Trees v3 in the Fall with Mustang's recent v1.32 release!

I am finding Summer V3 Trees great but depending on the light angle they show up too bright in some spots. (My gut tells me that DCS lightning engine changes are the culprit here)

Good luck with Han Solo LoL.....

You should do a Tropic Thunder version and make jungle trees and vines. LoL.

764172856_Screen_200812_Mustangv1.32LightTreesv3.thumb.jpg.df1bb0265f8a26e01d9885065816b8ef.jpg

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Really enjoying the new Light Trees v3 in the Fall with Mustang's recent v1.32 release!

I am finding Summer V3 Trees great but depending on the light angle they show up too bright in some spots. (My gut tells me that DCS lightning engine changes are the culprit here)

Good luck with Han Solo LoL.....

You should do a Tropic Thunder version and make jungle trees and vines. LoL.

Yes, that's the lighting accumulating on the flat image plane. Not much can be done about that. Whenever I find something like that bothering me, I just turn the default trees on. Makes me feel much better.

Winter is coming along. It's not just turning all branches to white but I'm individually trimming branches and painting snow on them... and then testing so it'll take some time. Trying to put some more snow on some and less on others to give variety. I thought Winter would be easier since there's no color to worry about but it's actually much harder to get it right.

Winter_07.jpg

Winter_08.jpg

I've also discovered that I can play with DX11 BC7 compression to bring back some more detail to distant trees. Rather than being just a blob. DCS by default uses BC3 compression. So other seasons will be updated too in next release.

And for those who criticize the pop up trees of DCS, look at the video below from 1:42 and the trees that pop up on the mountain in the center of the video.

It's slower pop up since the plane is slower but that's how it also works in FS 2020.

Winter is coming along. It's not just turning all branches to white but I'm individually trimming branches and painting snow on them... and then testing so it'll take some time. Trying to put some more snow on some and less on others to give variety. I thought Winter would be easier since there's no color to worry about but it's actually much harder to get it right.

Winter_07.jpg

Winter_08.jpg

I've also discovered that I can play with BC7 compression to bring back some more detail to distant trees. Rather than being just a blob. DCS by default uses BC3 compression. So other seasons will be updated too in next release.

And for those who criticize the pop up trees of DCS, look at the video below from 1:42 and the trees that pop up on the mountain in the center of the video.

It's slower pop up since the plane is slower but that's how it also works in FS 2020.

You don't even have to watch that far, first 20 seconds you can see details pop in and out.

May have to do with settings to be fair, but same mechanics.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

...It's not just turning all branches to white but I'm individually trimming branches and painting snow on them...

...Trying to put some more snow on some and less on others to give variety. I thought Winter would be easier since there's no color to worry about but it's actually much harder to get it right.

Winter_07.jpg

I definitely appreciate all this effort! It looks just amazing!

But take your time, don't rush it so you feel overwhelmed and loose the joy.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Not sure it's accurate for the Caucasus, but those snow threes certainly look friggin sweet.

Very good work on those.

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

100%.

It also reminds me of northern Canada before global warming and of those beautiful full-size calendars that real estate agents used to give away as a promotion.

Wouldn't it be nice if Eagle Dynamics could have Terrain configured like a Module in the Special menu? We could pick different trees like we do our English and Russian Cockpits enhancements.

LoL.

OvGME - works great for people who are comfortable using it.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP

1 minute preview of V4 Winter. I've also made some improvements to other seasons as well.

It's pretty much complete but I want to wait until the next DCS update to see if it breaks (or fixes) anything. So release in couple days.

awesome my man! many thanks for your efforts!!! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've also made some improvements to other seasons as well.

Amazing :thumbup: Im already loving those snowy trees :wub:

...some idea for other winter improvements: :thumbsup:

add some snow on the roofs too, to the top of the hangars, factories, gas/oil tanks, rail+roads, run+taxiways please :bounce:

would love to see a really hard/snowy winter as well :music_whistling:

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg