Better Trees for Caucasus V6

Has anyone been able to get this working on MP servers that only have "require pure clients"?

I'd read in the thread that as long as "require pure textures" was no or  commented then it should pass IC.

Maybe something changed since then, but even servers that only have pure client requirement fail the IC due to the trees..

Currently turning it off manually with JSGME when I switch to MP, but it's always a shame to go back to the old trees after seeing these

• Like 1

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Noticed this mod doesn't just replace trees, it adds new trees in places that were not there before.

Operation Medvedev II campaign - mission "Divide and Conquer" screenshot after adding the mod - trees are where the FARP is

https://imgur.com/a/RJOdU5e

When I remove the mod, the FARP is clear.

I also noticed the trees can be flown through, and you can't hide behind them missiles can still go through them and hit you.

Edited by DanDegen

45 minutes ago, DanDegen said:

Noticed this mod doesn't just replace trees, it adds new trees in places that were not there before.

Operation Medvedev II campaign - mission "Divide and Conquer" screenshot after adding the mod - trees are where the FARP is

https://imgur.com/a/RJOdU5e

When I remove the mod, the FARP is clear.

I also noticed the trees can be flown through, and you can't hide behind them missiles can still go through them and hit you.

Do you have screenshot without the mod?

This mod is simple texture swap.  No changes to collision or tree models.

I'm assuming this is the FARP.  I don't have those trees with the mod.

Screen_220416_172624.jpg

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Taz1004Beautiful mod, mate 🙏 thank you very much, I'm having wonderful and pleasant experience flying alongside the Caucasus forest without fps drop or stutters, especially in VR. Back then, it dropped my fps to 10 or less with lot of stutters before the mod was installed. Now, the performance and tree looks beautiful as ever. Question, do you by any chance planning to make the mod work to other trees in different maps such as Nevada, Syria, or Persian Gulf (planning to buy one of them eventually)

• Like 2

Phantom Phorever

6 hours ago, Dr.Cure said:

@Taz1004Beautiful mod, mate 🙏 thank you very much, I'm having wonderful and pleasant experience flying alongside the Caucasus forest without fps drop or stutters, especially in VR. Back then, it dropped my fps to 10 or less with lot of stutters before the mod was installed. Now, the performance and tree looks beautiful as ever. Question, do you by any chance planning to make the mod work to other trees in different maps such as Nevada, Syria, or Persian Gulf (planning to buy one of them eventually)

I already did Syria.  Planning on Mariana and then PG next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Best of luck, mate 🙏 May all the developments went smoothly. you're a lifesaver for my GTX1650 in vr.

• Like 1

Phantom Phorever

On 4/17/2022 at 7:08 AM, Taz1004 said:

Do you have screenshot without the mod?

This mod is simple texture swap.  No changes to collision or tree models.

I'm assuming this is the FARP.  I don't have those trees with the mod.

Screen_220416_172624.jpg

Sorry for the delay, somehow I missed your reply.

It's lucky I do still have the screenshot in my DCS Screenshots folder. I've attached it here. 

Trees.jpg

Initially I went and posted it as a Campaign bug in the correct forum for that. 

Then I thought I'd remove the mod and test again, after removing the mod the trees were gone so I deleted the campaign bug post.

The other thing I noticed is with the mod on alot of the trees you can fly through them.. I don't know if it's specifically the "extra" trees, but myself and the wingman could fly through ALOT of the trees when the mod is active.

Edited by DanDegen

2 hours ago, DanDegen said:

Sorry for the delay, somehow I missed your reply.

It's lucky I do still have the screenshot in my DCS Screenshots folder. I've attached it here. 

Trees.jpg

Initially I went and posted it as a Campaign bug in the correct forum for that. 

Then I thought I'd remove the mod and test again, after removing the mod the trees were gone so I deleted the campaign bug post.

The other thing I noticed is with the mod on alot of the trees you can fly through them.. I don't know if it's specifically the "extra" trees, but myself and the wingman could fly through ALOT of the trees when the mod is active.

Again, I cannot troubleshoot the issue if I can't duplicate it.  And it doesn't happen on my end.  This is simple texture swap and doesn't mess with placement nor collision.

Do you have any other terrain mod?

45 minutes ago, Zyll said:
13 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Where can we find the Syria trees mod? I couldn't find it using the forum search. Thx.

Few topics below:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

16 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Again, I cannot troubleshoot the issue if I can't duplicate it.  And it doesn't happen on my end.  This is simple texture swap and doesn't mess with placement nor collision.

Do you have any other terrain mod?

No other terrain mods, only using aircraft specific mods like custom cockpits and keybindings.

It was via JSGME, removing just the 1 mod (better trees) did it.

I understand if you can't replicate it, it might have been related to a prior DCS patch or my specific graphics/tree settings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Taz1004 said:

This mod is tree textures with actual tree .....

Hello Taz, small OT.

Do you have DCS: SA map? If you  have it (or you will have) can you check trees/vegetation on this map? According me they have perfomance problem, so maybe you will do the same for this map too? FPS friendly trees? Pretty please to check it too, thanks 🙂

8JGVkUXl.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

14 hours ago, YoYo said:

Hello Taz, small OT.

Do you have DCS: SA map? If you  have it (or you will have) can you check trees/vegetation on this map? According me they have perfomance problem, so maybe you will do the same for this map too? FPS friendly trees? Pretty please to check it too, thanks 🙂

8JGVkUXl.jpg

I was half way done with Marianas and then side tracked with work.  And then I'll be on long road trip to Montana.  It'll probably be after 4th of July weekend I can start flying again.

Isn't SA map still on early access?  I normally would not mod a module still in development.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good news about Marianas, fingers crossed :)! Yes, DCS SA map is in EA stage and probably it will be still one year even or more.

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi gents, quick question: whenever I start DCS with this mod I pass IC, however after flying on any Caucasus server I get an IC fail that prevents me from joining pure clients due to tree textures. If I restart DCS I'm all good though.

Any clues on what's going on?

Thanks.

Screen_220727_141025.png

On 7/27/2022 at 2:12 PM, Fulgrim said:

Hi gents, quick question: whenever I start DCS with this mod I pass IC, however after flying on any Caucasus server I get an IC fail that prevents me from joining pure clients due to tree textures. If I restart DCS I'm all good though.

Any clues on what's going on?

Thanks.

Screen_220727_141025.png

@Taz1004Pinging you in case you can lend me a hand. Thanks.

18 hours ago, Chump said:

This mod is not IC friendly, due to modification of core game textures. My guess is that you fire DCS up and hop onto a server before the IC scan has been completed in the background. It can and will catch up to you.

That's... not my experience, and I don't believe IC works like that or it would be too easy to cheat.

I can fire up DCS, play for hours on Syria or PG, come back to the server browser and I'll still be IC-green. Anyways I was curious because, even though I know it's not IC compliant, I can still join Caucasus' servers that are require IC.

Edited by Fulgrim

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

That's... not my experience. I can fire up DCS, play for hours on Syria or PG, come back to the server browser and I'll still be IC-green. Anyways I was curious because, even though I know it's not IC compliant, I can still join Caucasus' servers that are require IC.

That's most likely because textures are not checked for IC upon launch every time.  They're usually checked when the texture is called during gameplay.

No texture mod is IC safe.

• Thanks 3

• Taz1004 changed the title to Better Trees for Caucasus V6

I understand the mod is a texture swap of the existing trees, right? Would not be possible to replace some of trees by palm trees? So we can get a tropical setting on the Caucasus?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

5 hours ago, Stratos said:

I understand the mod is a texture swap of the existing trees, right? Would not be possible to replace some of trees by palm trees? So we can get a tropical setting on the Caucasus?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Yes but when you get close, it switches to 3D model of the tree.  The enlarged tree comparison between High and Low on first post is the 3D model tree.  And you can only replace texture of leaves on that 3D model tree.  So if you just change the billboard images to palm, it will suddenly change to maple tree at close up.

Foliage detail factor moves the distance where the switch happens so you can bring it very close but I don't think you can turn it off completely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Yes but when you get close, it switches to 3D model of the tree.  The enlarged tree comparison between High and Low on first post is the 3D model tree.  And you can only replace texture of leaves on that 3D model tree.  So if you just change the billboard images to palm, it will suddenly change to maple tree at close up.

Foliage detail factor moves the distance where the switch happens so you can bring it very close but I don't think you can turn it off completely.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, maybe worth a try with a couple of trees swapped to palms in order to see If it worth the effort? the palm trees will give us a good immersion factor, even If up close the palms convert into trees.

A tropical version of Caucasus would be amazing and FPS friendly for a lot of people.

Edited by Stratos
  • Like 2

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!