Hardware Awaiting Black Shark..

Guest Frenchy702

I'm intrigued as to how and why you all have such monster beast machines, too . . . . grin.

The 'how' of it for me, is I just got back from Iraq a few months ago, and blew all my combat pay on a new box :D

The 'why' of it is that I dont like upgrading often, so when I do it ends up something monster and, thus, able to survive a while before needing another upgrade.

And in response to your other question, I cant see why it would overclock better. Assuming the duo and quad Intels of a similar series have a similar base clock, then they should have similar limits to how far they can be clocked, regardless of the number of cores.

Now if it's a heat issue and not a clock issue, well, maybe the quad intels have a better means of heat dissipation to the cooling block/heat-sink. I haven't picked at one before, so I have no idea.

buddy can you spare a Euro?

I plan to fly BS, but also Oleg's SoW_BoB. I just read that it will support dual and quad cores. So I plan to go either an E8400 or possibly a q6600. As for a video card, I think I'll shy way from either SLi or Crossfire atm, but rather select a gpu with good badwidth and fill rates (like the 8800GTS) as prices will be falling by the time I'm ready to buy. Whoops! Oh yeah. The dollar is down, so I may be waiting for quite a while. :(

Flyby out

• Like 1

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

....but also Oleg's SoW_BoB....

Oh Yes - Right there with you......:)

:megalol:'Reason for Edit' - hope you got it sorted, canna be pretty....:megalol:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

i can run LockON : FC and even Crysis wide open everything maxed out with my system, and the cpu is on the lower end,,, so you can build it cheap...

btw, hp sometimes runs sales on memory,, 1gb sticks of DDRII ram for $3.00 each, then a $60 motherboard from Asrock, and a $100 for a duo core 2 cpu. and you have a decent computer... along with a Radeon 2900 pro for $135. oh yeah, a 600 watt power supply from Thermaltake or Antec for $50.

Some of these are prices after rebate.

:joystick:

oh yeah, forgot to mention my 46" LCD HDTV. I won it from Time Warner Cable in a contest... it only took me 52 years to win something.

but some bad news.. I have pancreatic disease and have operations coming, if I disappear for a while, you will know what happened... At least if I need recovery time, I can watch the TV

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I'm intrigued as to how and why you all have such monster beast machines, too . . . . grin.

For me it's the stability, and the option of putting 2 Quad Core processors on this motherboard in the near future. Oh and beeing able to upgrade from 4GB mem to 64GB :D

Also, some of us are looking forward to Oleg's Sow_BoB. Even he won't upgrade his pc until he's certain what specs will be. We do know he plans support for duo and quad cores. There may be other flight sims lurking in the background that will require a robust system. I plan to build a moderate system that can be upgraded, once i figure out which path I want to follow.

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

recommend the wolfdale cpu ..fantastic cpu ,or a E6850 ..i just sold a E6850 Cheap.

i just upgraded to 45nm cpu system. E8400.., upgrade like this will last you a while.

if you like to overclock this cpu =E8400 500 can be pushed way up to insane speeds..,i myself run stock happy with the performance at stock rating., i dont like to stress parts.

• Like 1

Heh, always got to smile when people stick 4Gig of RAM inside their case and install a 32bit OS. :thumbup:

Microsoft did a great job making people believe Vista has a better memory management, so it can use 4Gig of RAM. Or maybe it were the people making and selling RAM.

Anyway, with any 32bit-system you can be lucky to use 3.5 Gig of your 4 Gigs. That needs a bit of fiddling around to load the system in the designated memory adresses, so you can at least use effectively 3 Gigs of RAM. Vista doesn't change this, even if you got the Ultimate Money Burning Version with 32bit.

If you want to use 4 Gig of RAM (or more) , you need a 64bit OS and then it doesn't really matter if it is XP64bit or Vista 64bit.

:smartass:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

max win xp32bit sees is 3.25gb

Vista 32bit and XP32bit can use 3.25 natively because of the limited memory-addresses and the memory the OS itself uses.

That's grey theory, though, as the program running has to support these addresses, too, to really profit from it. And as long as games are 32bit or even 16bit, there is no sense in putting 4Gig+ in a gaming rig other than to use it as a virtual ruler. :smartass:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Not to mention the $9700 it would cost me to upgrade to 64 Gig of memory :joystick:

True :D