Global a/c request: adjustable trim input rate please!

Elphaba

Is it only me or does anyone else struggle with trimming out any aircraft? Even with the tiniest flick of the trim button it's too gross an amount and it ends up over correcting.

I've googled and I can't find any solution in the 'modding' world to change the amount of trim added per 'frame' or 'tick' of the engine so I can slow down how much each flick actually produces.

Can this be looked at at some point?

Well, trim function will be different between aircraft, but regardless, it's to ''reduce'' the effort required, not eliminate it, that's what autopilot is for. The proper trim setting is based on airspeed. Adjust your throttle slightly as well to match up the two. That said, it will never be ''handsfree'' nor is it supposed to be, you must continue to fly the aircraft yourself unless you engage an autopilot.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I'd be glad already if it simply was untied from the framerate, not everyone has 90+ fps... utterly bad programming habit anyway, maybe good enough for the casual console game that's stuck to 30 frames anyway, but a definite no go in a PC sim.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

No, it's not just you, I've started similar topic, unfortunately, without any support.

The problem with flight simmers is that they think flying should be hard and that feeds their ego that they are doing something superior than an average gamer.

Reality is, of course, completely different where every designer strives to build an aircraft that's easy to fly.

In some DCS aircraft it is impossible to trim out stick forces and that's completely unrealistic.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I'd be glad already if it simply was untied from the framerate, not everyone has 90+ fps... utterly bad programming habit anyway, maybe good enough for the casual console game that's stuck to 30 frames anyway, but a definite no go in a PC sim.

Is that really a case? Just wow. :(

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I'm rather mind blown that people are shooting down this quality of life improvement in n+1 threads.

When you want to customize your control axes to deal with improper flight hardware it's all good.

When you want to customize some other features such as TDC or trim sensitivity (again because of improper hardware) it's suddenly witchcraft and you shall burn at the stake for wanting such an evil and overpowered feature.

Trim will only “hold” true when there is NO change to anything else.

Change of airspeed? Re-trim.

Change of alt? Re-trim.

Change of orientation?Re-trim.

If you find that a blip of trim is too much, try compensating via something else, like an increase or reduction of IAS to try to balance out. It won’t be perfect, but it’s not in RW either.

But again, trimming is a short term thing. A million things will throw it out.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

You can dial trim in beautifully if you use an axis. If you use a momentary switch it's not nearly granular enough. I agree that a way is needed to adjust the gain on +/- switches that are there to do the job normally done by an axis. They're all far too coarse.

Trim will only “hold” true when there is NO change to anything else.

Change of airspeed? Re-trim.

Change of alt? Re-trim.

Change of orientation?Re-trim.

If you find that a blip of trim is too much, try compensating via something else, like an increase or reduction of IAS to try to balance out. It won’t be perfect, but it’s not in RW either.

But again, trimming is a short term thing. A million things will throw it out.

I KNOW how trimming works. Real life pilot here. My point STILL STANDS.

The trimming in DCS is too 'eager' or inputs too much for a single 'blip' of the trim switch.

THAT'S the problem that makes trimming so hard in dcs (combined with the lack of tactile feedback).

I don't see why people keep replying teaching me how to suck eggs, and dismissing the problem!?

You can dial trim in beautifully if you use an axis. If you use a momentary switch it's not nearly granular enough. I agree that a way is needed to adjust the gain on +/- switches that are there to do the job normally done by an axis. They're all far too coarse.

Thank you, this is EXACTLY my point!

This is one of the more useful wishlist posts . Trim with buttons is entirely too sensitive . I can compensate for pitch sensitivity with a micro-adjustment of the throttle , but the roll axis offers no such compensation .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I KNOW how trimming works. Real life pilot here. My point STILL STANDS.

The trimming in DCS is too 'eager' or inputs too much for a single 'blip' of the trim switch.

THAT'S the problem that makes trimming so hard in dcs (combined with the lack of tactile feedback).

I don't see why people keep replying teaching me how to suck eggs, and dismissing the problem!?

Wasn’t trying to teach egg-sucking, just ‘assuming’ you had no RW experience. But in that regard, it appears you and I are alike, in having flown.

Were/are you fixed wing or rotary? AF?

And it wasn’t a dismissal of the problem, I just offered a way to minimise or negate the effects that afflict you.

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

This is one of the more useful wishlist posts . Trim with buttons is entirely too sensitive . I can compensate for pitch sensitivity with a micro-adjustment of the throttle , but the roll axis offers no such compensation .

There are relatively few combat aircraft that have trim wheels, which would be more in keeping with what some have issues with. The wheel certainly does allow for much more fine tuning.

But for modern combat aircraft, even going back say 30 - 40 years, the trim hat is what you have.

DCS is billed as a (THE) realistic simulator, how far should they stray from that?

There are relatively few combat aircraft that have trim wheels, which would be more in keeping with what some have issues with. The wheel certainly does allow for much more fine tuning.

But for modern combat aircraft, even going back say 30 - 40 years, the trim hat is what you have.

DCS is billed as a (THE) realistic simulator, how far should they stray from that?

What are you talking about?

I (and others) are saying that the amount even the tiniest blip of a trim switch produces IS TOO LARGE.

It doesn't reduce 'realism' if they halved or even quartered the amount the trim applied for the quickest flick of the trim button does it?!

It just means that rather than bouncing UNREALISTICALLY between trimmed too nose high and getting a slight climb and trimming too nose down and getting a slight descent, that the smaller amount of trim applied for the same human input amount/duration would allow a more finely grained amount.

How is this even something you feel can rationally be opposed to?

What are you talking about?

I (and others) are saying that the amount even the tiniest blip of a trim switch produces IS TOO LARGE.

It doesn't reduce 'realism' if they halved or even quartered the amount the trim applied for the quickest flick of the trim button does it?!

It just means that rather than bouncing UNREALISTICALLY between trimmed too nose high and getting a slight climb and trimming too nose down and getting a slight descent, that the smaller amount of trim applied for the same human input amount/duration would allow a more finely grained amount.

How is this even something you feel can rationally be opposed to?

You seem to be putting words in my mouth . . How or what am I opposed to?

And I seem to have no issue with trim, or trim compensation. Maybe I know nothing of which I speak, you have yourself a nice day ma’am.

• 2 weeks later...

Often I dont even feel like touching the trim as I cannot ever get it back to normal in planes like the F-16:megalol:

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Hi guys. 30+ year military, military FI, commercial pilot here. Absolutely agree with those who say the trim is excessive on some modules. By trip 3 or 4 in the real world your QFI will be ‘nagging’ you to briefly release the controls and show that the aircraft is in trim. Shortly after, if you are still in the program, it will becoming second nature and trimming ‘hands free’ as quickly as possible will be a matter of personal pride.

Typical basic student reaction is to say ‘I like a bit of forward pressure so I can ‘feel’ the aircraft or it will pitch up if I stop paying attention and be safe....’ This is a sign of inexperience or misunderstanding of your job and what you are trying to achieve and is soon forgotten as true workload is increased - or you get chopped.

DCS is an excellent product but this could be improved IMHO.

Cheers.