Building a new MonsterTech rig

RogueSqdn

I have posted previous cockpits several times here before.

When I got back into simming after a hiatus about eight years ago, I first built another Akers-Barnes cockpit.

78.jpg

A year or so later, after tiring of building things, I got an Obutto R3volution (and years later, replaced the seat):

IMG-5348.jpg

Last year, I had to have another knee surgery, and tiring of stepping over the sides of the Obutto, and not having a good way to mount a stick with a 200 mm extension, or the Winwing throttle, I built my own cockpit again:

IMG-5464.jpg

This ended up presenting it's own issues. First, again I was having to build things. While that can be it's own reward, it was also taking too much of my time. Second, with this seat being VERY low to the floor, it became an issue for me to get in and out of the seat with my bad knee. Third, while the sticks were set in a good position, switching between various throttles was very difficult (in addition to the Winwing, I have the Cougar, Warthog, and T-50CM).

I've been saving up all year for a new computer, also from Falcon Northwest, which I plan to get this fall after the 3080 series cards are released. I had an decent amount of extra money, and after seeing various Youtube videos and forum posts, I decided to purchase a MonsterTech rig.

I ordered in the middle of June and started receiving shipments two weeks ago. They have a two-week delay warning on their website, but in addition to that, filling an order for an entire rig can take 3-4 weeks. My order was intended to arrive in two shipments, but my monitor stand got delayed in Cincinnati for several days, apparently because the planes were overloaded.

I was interested in MonsterTech for two main reasons: 1) I wouldn't have to spend a majority of my time working on the cockpit instead of enjoying it, and 2) easy customization of control positioning.

In addition to being able to easily position flight controls, MonsterTech offered a chance to do something I hadn't done in a while: utilize MFDs and UFC/ICPs. I mainly fly in VR, so that became difficult to do, in addition to coming up with a decent mounting solution. My main interface with the cockpit in VR is MilesD's excellent PointCTRL. I still wanted to try and utilize some physical controls though, so I broke out my Thrustmaster MFDs and ordered four front panels: the BuddyFox A-10C UFC, the TekCreations F-16C ICP, and the TekCreations F/A-18C UFC and HUD panel. My main inspiration for mounting them came from @rrohde, who uses a 400mm profile attached to the back of the center joystick mount. Kieron at TekCreations was also great in helping my get things set up and helping me work through a few initial problems.

So, before posting assembly photos, I'll make a list of the controls I'll use with this cockpit:

Joystick Bases: FSSB R3L, T-50CM2w/200mm extension

Joystick Grips: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VPC VFX, VPC WarBRD

Throttles: Winwing Super Taurus, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, TM Cougar w/RS TUSBA R2

Pedals: VPC ACE-2. The TM TPR you see above are currently broken due to the thin metal of the brackets that attach the toe brakes. I may eventually 3d print a replacement.

Headtracking: Oculus Rift S for VR, TrackIR 5 w/LukeClip for flat screening.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Here's a few photos of the process I went through in assembling the rig.

First, I had to pick out a good chair. Previous racing seats had left me REALLY unsatisfied, particularly when it comes to VR (both looking around, and hitting side console toggle switches with PointCTRL). Shoulder bolsters get in your way.

After quite a bit of searching, I found a seat from Bestop on Amazon, intended for Jeep Wranglers (and I'm a Ford guy! I have a First Edition 2021 Bronco reserved!)

IMG-5604.jpg

I got this seat a few weeks before the cockpit arrived. I ALMOST went ahead and cut a center notch in it, but decided to wait in the event I didn't need to. Good thing I waited, because I saved myself a lot of work.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I notice the F-16 ICP in one of the pics, is that from TekCreation? How do you like it, I ordered one but haven't received it yet.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Building a new MonsterTech rig

That OLD ICP on the ABC cockpit is from Aimsworth. The DCS switch on that was always a pain in the rear. I'm no longer using it but I do have the TekCreations unit. Photos of that will come later... the Braves are coming on. :thumbup:

The TekCreations one is excellent. I have only briefly been able to actually use it though, because of the cockpit construction. One oddity (at least to me): the toggle switches send pulses only and do not send a constant ON signal. I've talked about this with Kieron and he is going to implement an alternative firmware to have the switches emit a constant ON signal in each position (or at least in the two poles... the center position is a little iffy right now).

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

So here's a basic list of what I ordered. Since the pit builder isn't active on their site yet, I had to order every bit separately.

I ordered everything in silver. I like the way black looks, but I was wary of two things: 1) every bit of dust and dirt standing out, and 2) scratches standing out more.

MTX Base Frame

MTX Keyboard

MTX HOTAS (FSSB R3L, WW Super Taurus)

MTX Center Joystick (T-50CM2)

MTX Desk/Keyboard (not currently using, but wanted the option)

TV/Monitor self-standing

MTX Base Plate (not compatible with center stick, but I may end up cutting it down to size and using it still)

Lift and Roll Extension

Cable Clips

Cup Holder

Wheel set (not currently using, but wanted the option)

Anodizing Cleaner (somewhat of a scotchbrite-type pad, good at erasing marks in the aluminum)

MFD/Tablet Mount Left

MFD/Tablet Mount Right

MFD/Tablet Mount Center x2

Mounting Plate - TM Cougar throttle

Mounting Plate - TM Warthog throttle

Mounting Plate - VPC T-50CM throttle

Mounting Plate - VPC WarBRD

Mounting Plate - WW Super Libra

All of this came in six separate packages. I got everything but the TV stand in a two-day span, but the stand didn't arrive for four days after that. I used my old Obutto TV stand in the meantime.

I also have a 400mm profile attached to the center stick post for mounting the MFDs, as inspired by @rrohde:

IMG-5586.jpg

The base frame packaging:

IMG-5639.jpg

Included hardware (except for the knife):

IMG-5640.jpg

Assembly of the base frame:

IMG-5641.jpg

IMG-5642.jpg

IMG-5643.jpg

Adding the seat. For this seat and the sliders, I had to use some adapter plates off Amazon, but it worked nicely.

IMG-5644.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

It's mostly done now, with the exception that I may end up purchasing MFD monitors from CubeSim. I haven't decided on that yet.

I spaced out my chair, center stick, and pedals first, before going any further.

IMG-5655.jpg

I got my spacing started with the seat all the way forward. This way, when I want to get out of the cockpit, I can simply pull the seat all the way to the rear and stand up. I don't have to step over the center stick, I can just step behind it to get in and out.

This again has the Obutto TV stand as a temporary measure:

IMG-5656.jpg

IMG-5657.jpg

The space between the stick and the seat in the above picture is plenty of room to sidestep in and out and not have to step over anything, except the 80x80 side piece of the base frame, and the stick extension barely touches the seat when in flying position. Cutting a notch in my seat was fortunately not necessary.

Edited by RogueSqdn
errors

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Great to see another Monstertech rig! That's mine:

3VdTkCI.jpg

Started with the Flightstand and expanded over time to the current look.

Like your seat! That was one of my main issues as well. There aren't many good seats for such rigs. Mine is OK but could be better. Looking forward to your next steps!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Yours was one of the ones that influenced mine... you’ll see that when I get to posting panel mount photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

So the next step was setting up the HOTAS mounts for throttle and side stick. I spaced everything with the Winwing throttle in mind, since that's used the most:

IMG-5658.jpg

Fortunately, with the panel flush with the seat the throttle is in a comfortable position. The armrest has to be as high as it is because it overlaps the WW panel somewhat, and I have to be able to snake my hand under it to actuate the switches. I believe I have the armrest as far to the rear and the outboard as I can.

You'll also notice the white on the tabletops... that's simply a peel-off sticker meant to protect the table surface. I didn't peel it off until I was close to being done.

Here's the side stick mount. I ended up lowering the stick further than this so that my forearm naturally rests on the table and does not have to reach up or down to grip the stick.

IMG-5659.jpg

The gamepad visible on the left side is a Razer Orbweaver, which I use in DCS to control cockpit seating position, views, and the kneeboard.

The keyboard and cup holder mounts attached now, and most of the basics done. Now it's time for fine-tuning.

IMG-5662.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

So, you probably notice the above swinging arm. That was my initial try at MFD/UFC mounting.

IMG-5664.jpg

IMG-5665.jpg

IMG-5667.jpg

IMG-5668.jpg

IMG-5678.jpg

IMG-5679.jpg

I initially thought I'd need the swinging arm to assist in entry/exit, but with the chair spacing I previously discussed, it turned out not to be necessary. I also found it to introduce some instability. So when I had to have MT ship me a part that was accidentally left out, I got them to send me a 400mm profile that I attached to the center stick mount.

Also pictured above is one of my two Anker 13-port USB hubs. I have one behind the cockpit (I can reach behind and hit the power switch with my right hand), and one next to the rudder pedals (that I can hit the power switch with my left big toe). The center stick and everything forward of it are on the front hub. Everything else is on the rear hub. I did it this way because I don't want my RS F/A-18 grip to constantly be powered when the computer is off, and don't want to remove it and re-seat it on a regular basis, because the more often you do that, the greater the chance of damaging one of the pins.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

So here's the final (hah!) panel mounting position: the 400mm profile attached to the back of the center stick mount. This accomplishes a few things: 1) stability, 2) UFC is slightly lower so as not to obscure my view of the TV (which I also raised to the max height), and 3) lets L/R MFDs be mounted closer to the UFC so I don't have to reach out to the side as much.

Also of note: A small 3d-printed cap on top of FSSB that I found on Thingiverse, and a volume knob mounted in front of the flight stick that I got off Amazon.

IMG-5682.jpg

IMG-5683.jpg

IMG-5684.jpg

Lastly, at least for now, a photo of my other stick grips, mounted on display posts that I found on Thingiverse and printed.

IMG-5669.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Spent some time this morning setting up for the F-16.

641629d1d291b1d0b0eec9ce24c10714.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

The setup looks clean and awesome. It has inspired me to buy more MFD mounts from Monstertech, lol. I have the F-16 ICP unit from TekCreation coming in this week, and will probably try to use it as the Hornet UFC for now. Still trying to figure out how to mount it as the real thing protrudes out quite a bit from the center console.

Would love to have the full version of the Hornet UFC but need to save up for the next NVIDIA GPU.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I may experiment with a horizontal profile attached to the top of that post to bring the ICP closer. The problem is whether it would require unmounting my F18CGRH, which I do not want to be in the habit of doing too often.

I’m scared of bending the pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I may experiment with a horizontal profile attached to the top of that post to bring the ICP closer. The problem is whether it would require unmounting my F18CGRH, which I do not want to be in the habit of doing too often.

I’m scared of bending the pins.

Maybe 3D print a mounting plate that would allow the ICP to mount right in front of the UFC, something that would also be easily moved out of the way when not in use?

If I knew how to do 3D modeling, sure. Right now all I know is how to download off Thingiverse.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Great to see another Monstertech rig! That's mine:

3VdTkCI.jpg

Started with the Flightstand and expanded over time to the current look.

Like your seat! That was one of my main issues as well. There aren't many good seats for such rigs. Mine is OK but could be better. Looking forward to your next steps!

What's the button box to the right side in the shape of the warthog throttle? I'm looking for something of similar shape to sit on the left just aft of my throttle :thumbup:

That’s the F/A-18 right panel from TekCreatIons. I use PointCTRL for the sides, and not planning on getting one myself. I have their F-16 ICP, and F/A-18 UFC and HUD panel. Excellent stuff.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Nice build!

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

8bbba5de40d60524464d3ceebf69ae61.jpg

Mine is also coming along. Waiting for 2 more MFDs and mounting kit from MT then I’m good, may be a Hornet UFC if budget allows.

That’s somewhat close to my idea for bringing the ICP closer.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler