Building a new MonsterTech rig

RogueSqdn

I've been planning out my first dedicated flight sim rig, and decided on the MonsterTech MTX-F because of the amount of customization and support provided specifically for flight sim gear. Funny enough, I also did a bunch of research on seats, and like you, chose to go with a Bestop Jeep seat (Trailmax II) over a typical racing bucket. My seat and cheap slider kit (Invictus universal slider) arrived well before my MTX (which I'm still waiting for) so I decided to preemptively attach the sliders to the seat. However, I don't believe these sliders are compatible because after installation, the adjuster bar rests completely against the bottom of the seat making it impossible to pull.

OP, what seat adapter/slider did you end up going with for your Bestop seat?

I got these, made by Bestop. Not cheap, but very sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SA244/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because of the built in bolts on these sliders, I also used these adapter plates to fit the seat on the cockpit (I cut them at the corner because I didn't need the right-angle).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774LBPQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I saw that Bestop slider, but decided to go with the cheaper Invictus just to see if it would work. I didn't notice the Bestop has built-in bolts. Do you think those adapter plates would fit without cutting? So long as they don't interfere with alignment or damage the side of the seat, I wouldn't mind them. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools on-hand to cut them.

Worse case with the slider I have is I won't be able to slide it when it's mounted unless I can manage to bend the bar so it's not rubbing up against the seat.

Anyway, nice looking rig. I'm even more excited now seeing how good a Bestop seat looks mounted on one!

I suppose you could always find a different adapter plate. I used a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade on them, it was fairly easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I looked around for another car seat bracket and even just a generic plate with M8-sized holes and couldn't find much. I suppose I could easily get some machined, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. I also thought about adding washers as spacers between the seat and slider to move it away from the seat a bit, but the slider warns about only mounting it on a flat surface, probably because they will bend if it's not flat.

The adjustable seat is more of a nice-to-have for me, even though I plan on a center stick, which would make it easier to get in and out. I'll have to see how it goes when I actually get the rig. It's been 5 weeks since I ordered!

I went ahead and tried the washer route. If the sliders bend and become unusable, so be it. They were only $40.

The washers were just enough to give the bar enough clearance to pull. Pretty happy with how it's turned out so far, but we'll see how mounting it to the rig goes.

I will say getting the back on the seat was a real pain and required two people. The fit was extremely tight and the vinyl covered the entire mounting area except for two tiny holes where it bolts on. Challenging to get everything lined up with the vinyl wanting to shift due to the tightness.

Anyway, here's the result.

IMG_1605.thumb.jpeg.ea15a169785a14aad2078ccb038bbda3.jpeg IMG_1606.thumb.jpeg.596757e056b05280b2b6c698b237d3ce.jpeg IMG_1607.thumb.jpeg.40f8653e1289b9970def0396daaf723f.jpeg

Hmm... the Bestop seat it got from Amazon already had the back installed.

Mine has an adjustable headrest though.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Yes, it’s reclinable. After work I’ll dig up the link.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Bestop 39450-01 TrailMax II Pro Black Crush All-Vinyl Front High Back Passenger-Side Jeep Seat for 1976-2006 Jeep CJ and Wrangler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001892TVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_bRSIDrZo2tKMA

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I took this picture yesterday. This is the cockpit as it currently stands, waiting for my new PC to arrive today. I will rewire everything to account for shorter wire length needed with the smaller tower, and I want to rearrange my USB hubs.

I’ve removed the instrument panels up front as they were difficult with VR (not opposed to trying them again some point down the line). In their place I took one of the Monstertech mounts and attached it to my keyboard post to use as a spot for my iPad mini.

I custom ordered two 100mm long posts from 8020.net to raise the front of the pedals up to a more comfortable level. I had forgotten to get them to thread the hole in the end, so I did that myself. My footrest in front of the pedals is the Monstertech floor panel, cut to size.

0ae9d08b7ef2f4509179733c154e1262.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Do you only play DCS/Flight sims in VR now? What headset do you use?

I purchased the left/right brackets for my MFDs with the intention of mounting them directly to the center stick profile to see if it works there before buying additional profiles to raise it to a more reasonable height. I plan on getting a VR headset (leaning toward Reverb G2) so I'm not sure how often I'll use the MFDs once I do. I used to use TrackIR years ago before I moved my gaming PC to my basement to use as an HTPC. The only display I have to hook my rig up to right now is a 75" Sony XBR-X900F mounted relatively high on a wall, so hopefully the seat on the rig will be at a decent position for that. TIR doesn't work (at least from my couch) when mounted way up on that large display, so hopefully being a little closer/higher up will help until I get VR.

Have you used your rig for general gaming? If so, how well do the hotas desk tops work for that? Is there enough room for the mouse when playing an FPS?

The last non-DCS title I played was Jedi Fallen Order, which I stopped because my cockpit came in from Germany a few months back, and I haven’t gotten around to playing more of it.

I imagine the HOTAS desktops are plenty large enough.

I currently use the Rift S but have a Reverb G2 on order.

At this point, probably the only thing that would get me to set up the MFDs again were if I was to get back into BMS. DCS Liberation makes this less necessary.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Liberation makes BMS less necessary, because the campaign is the main attraction of BMS (well, that and their F-16 is way further along than the one in DCS).

I use PointCTRL in VR with DCS and operate switches that way. That’s the reason I didn’t buy the new Winwing panels.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Liberation makes BMS less necessary, because the campaign is the main attraction of BMS (well, that and their F-16 is way further along than the one in DCS).

I use PointCTRL in VR with DCS and operate switches that way. That’s the reason I didn’t buy the new Winwing panels.

Bms has also bigger terrains....but I hope this will be a thing in dcs too in the future

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

True, but let’s not turn this into a sim vs sim debate. That’s not the point of this thread.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

True, but let’s not turn this into a sim vs sim debate. That’s not the point of this thread.

Absolutely....

I was just pointing out another point of view....

Very nice pit anyway...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Good for you, you’ll enjoy!

I got my new PC on Monday. I haven’t started installing things yet, though. I’ve been having issues getting both of them talking to each other over the network.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

FNW support and I figured out the problem we were having last night, so this weekend I should be able to start getting things going.

My first task is rewiring the cockpit. Since the Talon case is much smaller, the wire length needed to reach the PC is much shorter, so I wanted to redo things for neatness’ sake.

Since I had one extra port on my network switch downstairs, I ended up running a new CAT5 line from the master bedroom closet downstairs (where the modem, main Eero, and switch are) into the attic and to the mancave to be used for the new spot the Mach V is located, at the desk where my Mac Mini is. That wall is inaccessible via the attic, but when we bought the house and had carpet replaced, I laid down two CAT5 lines around the baseboards and under the carpet, from the wall behind the cockpit, which IS accessible in the attic. I finally found a use for them five years later!

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler