Mi-24P Sounds

Razorback

That's the sound that I want...ok desire...to ear from my Mi-24P simpit...

The sound of the Hind in the last movie above Latakia was quiet the same as as the Mi-8MTV2 and I hope that some/major improvements will be added to the module before his release...:thumbup:

• Like 1

IIRC the Ka-50 also has these engines... but of course a completely different rotor system.

But: Even the totally different cockpit compartment layout surely would change how the thing sounds, at least from inside.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yeah

Keep in mind in a helicopter, the main sound sources are ( from most heard to least )

1. Main Rotor

2. Tail Rotor

3. Powerplant

4. Transmission

In the Mils, the typical whistle sound come from the swashplate compass follower, known as « scissor ».

They recorded the Mi-8 sounds on a real aircraft with outstanding results and I’m sure they’ll do the same with this one :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• 4 months later...

3368_Czech_Republic_Air_Force_Mil_Mi-24V_Hind_E_rotor_head_ILA_Berlin_2016_06.jpg

This part, also known as just " follower " or " swashplate follower " is an angle compass that mechanically links the rotating swashplate and the rotorhead.

The torque is consequent in this area and by design, the movement/torque transmission shouldn't even be tried to be transmitted via the pitch links, which are designed just for that : actuate individual blade pitch, and not drive the swahsplate.

From a cinematic point of view :

- The Main Gear Box houses the rotor mast

- The rotor mast is bolted onto the rotor hub ( yoke )

- The swash follower is bolted onto the mast ( top ) and the rotating swashplate ( bottom )

- The pitch links are bolted between the pitch horns and the rotating swashplate ( so they do not need to withstand the radial torque that would be here without the help of the swash follower )

So the rotor mast, pitch horns and rotating swashplate are a solidary mechanical assembly, in terms of circular motion, while allowing every sub-assemblies ( pitch links, lead lag, flapping axis etc .. ) to freely rotate around their respective axis while having a solid and precise driving of these for the intended purposes.

And in the Mil Helicopters, this follower creates a small air turbulence over the other rotating parts of the hub that makes that whistling sound, hence the " once per revolution "

Hope that helps. 😉

Edited by Hueyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21 minutes ago, Hueyman said:

And in the Mil Helicopters, this follower creates a small air turbulence over the other rotating parts of the hub that makes that whistling sound, hence the " once per revolution "

Hope that helps. 😉

Thank you for your explanation, as that I have tried to source what is causing that one. It is so fancy whistling that I have wondered why it has not tried to be eliminated as it sounds like the helo is "inhaling the last breaths". Like couldn't they have just add some cover around it to change it or something?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You're welcome !

Well, that is their signature sound, like the Huey has it's own one 😉

Do you think it's disturbing ?

Some manufacturers put symetrical followers, ( SA 365 Dauphin for instance ) mainly for balancing purposes, but this may have reduced the " noise " on this one, thus adding weight, costs and maintenance...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, Hueyman said:

Well, that is their signature sound, like the Huey has it's own one 😉

Do you think it's disturbing ?

No, it is just so distinctive sound so you know how close something gets with that "weeping"

It is very nice audio like the Huey one.

4 hours ago, Hueyman said:

Some manufacturers put symetrical followers, ( SA 365 Dauphin for instance ) mainly for balancing purposes, but this may have reduced the " noise " on this one, thus adding weight, costs and maintenance...

I was thinking more of a small case around it, like a wing shaped just to change the sound generation, that would be there with four bolts around it. But then again considering that it doesn't matter at those ranges when you hear it, and it by its own way will tell nicely the RPM as well for the crew.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 4 weeks later...

Sry, guys, that follower is not moving in the air enough fast to be able to generate a sound of that intensity. That "swish" sound is emitted with the ballance-metal sheet on the trailing edge of the rotor blade 🤝

Edited by smire666

2 hours ago, smire666 said:

Sry, guys, that follower is not moving in the air enough fast to be able to generate a sound of that intensity. That "swish" sound is emitted with the ballance-metal sheet on the trailing edge of the rotor blade 🤝

Then you'd hear it 5 times per rotation, instead there's one "whistle" per rotation, which matches up with the movement of the follower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyzIKO6FmDc&t=377s

You can see it very well here, it's the same on the Mi-24 except it rotates faster.

https://youtu.be/n3sMAm6D4cE?t=179

An example on the Mi-24, you can hear the sound every one rotation of the follower, not 5 times as would be the case if it was the blades producing the sound.

Edited by Morrov
additional youtube vid