Shuddering/Shaking in Flight Sims

I'm looking for some ideas for a major issue I'm having with flight sims - not just DCS - XP11 as well. I'm submitting to this forum because I know there's a lot of community experience here with gaming performance and problems in general and would appreciate some help.

The issue is with what I would call continual shuddering/shaking of the game images.. It happens in certain games or game configurations, but not in others. It does not happen in any other Windows 10 environment/applications, and only happens with what I assume is 3-D rendering. So not with 2-D configuration screens etc. But it also happens when the simulators are paused - not actively creating new imagery. BTW this is not stuttering where frames drop or are frozen briefly. The problem comes and goes, although lately seems more frequent. In addition to XP11 It happens with DCS World A10C, but not with DCS A10A Flaming Cliffs. Weird. This just started a week or so ago and I had not made any system changes, hardware or software prior to that. So here is the description of my troubleshooting and attempts at problem isolation. Because it was working fine for months prior to this, and nothing has changed with software or hardware, it's not a configuration performance issue.

1) CPU and GPU temps are OK and issue does not vary with length of time system is on

2) I updated the NVIDIA drivers and reset all parameters to factory (3 monitor surround is config with default resolution). Sims see one large monitor.

3) Updated Windows 10 to latest

4) Turned off Windows 10 Game Mode

5) Reset CPU and Memory to default clocks (not OC in other words)

6) Experimented with graphics parameters in games but no change in issue.

I did these in order and checked after each one to see if it helped. At one point the problem went away for a while, but then came back. Given these parameters I'm inclined to think that I don't have a software issue since it's with multiple games and I've updated the OS and drivers, and it just suddenly started happening. It's unlikely to be a CPU issue either I would think, but perhaps it is a GPU hardware problem since it seems to occur only with 3-D rendering. But I don't have any other issues like artifacts or ghosting with the GPU which would of course point more directly to the GPU. I don't have a spare graphics card to swap in/out to test this theory unfortunately.

So - I would appreciate any ideas you might have about further troubleshooting, or personal experience with this problem and its resolution.

Hi zippydoda. Could you film the phenomenon with your mobile phone and then upload it?

Is the shuddering happening on one screen only or on all of them?

Could you try starting Windows in safe mode and then try to reproduce the issue?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hi zippydoda. Could you film the phenomenon with your mobile phone and then upload it?

Is the shuddering happening on one screen only or on all of them?

Could you try starting Windows in safe mode and then try to reproduce the issue?

Hi Flappie - sorry I'm getting back to you so late, but busy with other things. I think I accidentally figured this out and it's very weird and I only came across it through luck.

I recently decided to get the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog A-10C and the flight stick arrived and I've been playing around with it, waiting for the throttle to arrive before investing in the configuration process. Currently I am using a Saitek X52 stick and throttle. And I think that is the problem. When I unplug it and swap in the Warthog flight stick the shuddering/shaking goes away. In a way this makes sense because the two dimensional information screens in XP11 and DCS aircraft do not shake, rattle and rock and roll. And the joystick has no control over those screens positionally, whereas the joystick definitely affects the view and position of all world objects which is what's moving.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and if I continue to have problems even with the new gear I'll be right back here complaining and feeling sorry for myself.

Ok, thanks for your detailed answer. You can always tune your HOTAS axis in the DCS controls menu to avoid fighting with overly sensitive axis.

Have fun with your brand new HOTAS! :)

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Ok, thanks for your detailed answer. You can always tune your HOTAS axis in the DCS controls menu to avoid fighting with overly sensitive axis.

Have fun with your brand new HOTAS! :)

Thanks. I've set the sensitivity controls long ago and never had an issue until now. And the issue occurs even when the stick is no where near the center. And it's intermittent. So I'm thinking it's something flaky with the hardware that comes and goes.

Yes looking forward to getting that second big hunk of metal also known as a throttle quadrant, German style. The BMW of HOTAS! I'll use them for weight lifting when I'm not flying. Can't believe that these sets are going for as much as $1000 USD on eBay. And most of the retailers have a huge number of backorders (like in the hundreds) with no delivery date.

COVID has definitely made flight simulation a hot hobby.