F-16 Chaff Flare loadout

AvroLanc

Can someone point out why our F-16 can load 60 flare and 60 Chaff?

The F-16 uses 4 ALE-47 buckets just like the Hornet. Each bucket can carry either 30 chaff or 15 flare. So my understanding is that the load should be (commonly) 60 chaff 30 flare.

The 60 of each loadout suggests the F-16 is using the smaller cylindrical Flare cartridge that can indeed load 30 in each bucket. Which leads to the question of why ED can model the smaller flare for the Viper but not the Hornet....

Are we sure the Viper loadout is correct? Why?

Sorry I can't answer your post and hope someone can.

Perhaps you can help me?

Is it possible to currently prog the Viper to dispense just one flare and chaff with the press of the switch like I can do with the F18 Hornet?

I've read the tutorials etc but it still dispenses a wasteful 20 with each trigger action.

Perhaps you can help me?

Is it possible to currently prog the Viper to dispense just one flare and chaff with the press of the switch like I can do with the F18 Hornet?

I've read the tutorials etc but it still dispenses a wasteful 20 with each trigger action.

Yes, but you have to edit the CMDS programms with your DED first

Perhaps you can help me?

Hi ! I personally prefer to edit the .lua file for the CMDS as it's annoying to edit the programs in-game every single time. Modify it to your liking.

Program 1 : Radar SAM/BVR (no IR missiles expected)

Program 2 : Radar SAM/BVR (IR missiles expected)

Program 3 : WVR mix (higher amount of countermeasures)

Program 4 : IR SAM (Long program for ingress/egress)

Here's where to put it :

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\EWS\CMDS\device

CMDS_ALE47.lua

Edited by Daddy_Diesel
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

There is also this app to edit the .Lua and with automatic backup of previous settings, works with F/A18 too:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311389/

Don't forget there is also the slap switch (program 6) which I use for IR air to air, and bypass setting (program 5) which for me is one of each for simplicity, spam as needed!

Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Can someone point out why our F-16 can load 60 flare and 60 Chaff?

The F-16 uses 4 ALE-47 buckets just like the Hornet. Each bucket can carry either 30 chaff or 15 flare. So my understanding is that the load should be (commonly) 60 chaff 30 flare.

The 60 of each loadout suggests the F-16 is using the smaller cylindrical Flare cartridge that can indeed load 30 in each bucket. Which leads to the question of why ED can model the smaller flare for the Viper but not the Hornet....

Indeed, we are told our Hornet in reality carries 60 chaff and 60 flares: ED confirmed the real flares are smaller than the ones that are currently modelled. We've been waiting for a while to have those implemented.

Why the Falcon carries 60 and the Hornet is still stuck at 30, only ED can answer. Perhaps they just increased the amount without modelling the correct type of flare, in preparation for the correct type to be modelled? And why this is not possible for the Hornet is anyone's guess...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Here is how:

1) On the UFC Click List, then 7

2) Click SEQ

3) Down Arrow to the 10, click 1 then ENT

4) Click SEQ

5) 10 will be highlighted, now click 1 then ENT

Make sure your CMDS Mode is set to MAN, and Prog 1. Now hitting Up on the CMDS Switch will release one chaff and one flare.

Intel i7 9700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E, Zotac GTX 2080 TI AMP, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, Corsair H60 liquid cooler, EVGA 850W PS, Cooler Master: Master Case H500, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD | Virpil CM2 Throttle, F-16: Thrustmaster F-16/A-10 Stick, F-18: Thrustmaster F-18 Stick | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | G2 Reverb, J-PEIN Desk mount Throttle, VIRPIL VP-L mount Stick, Cougar MFDs, Generic Custom Built Front Panel, Left Panel and Right Panel, 32 Button Steam Deck.

...why does it look like im reading two merged threads :megalol:

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

...why does it look like im reading two merged threads :megalol:

Lol, the actual thread topic was hijacked by a simple switchology question.

I’m surprised the 60 flare issue hasn’t been addressed before. Considering the Hornet has been stuck with 30 since release. There appears to be a big inconsistency in modelling logic here.

Lol, the actual thread topic was hijacked by a simple switchology question.

I’m surprised the 60 flare issue hasn’t been addressed before. Considering the Hornet has been stuck with 30 since release. There appears to be a big inconsistency in modelling logic here.

The answer is that our hornet should have 60 flares, and ED intends to eventually correct it.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Hi ! I personally prefer to edit the .lua file for the CMDS as it's annoying to edit the programs in-game every single time. Modify it to your liking.

Here's where to put it :

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\EWS\CMDS\device

We Use it diffrently in real life than u would in the simulator.

F-16 Block D can carry X2 (Twice) the amount of Chaff and Flares than a Standard F-16.

Programs 1-2-3-4 are used mostly for diffrent Areas and Missions...

For Example - If you're on a POP-UP mission, you will need to go for a pre-set program that goes from 0 Altitude, fires some chef and flares, and continue it on untill you go back low-level - it's about 40 seconds. you press it once when you pull - you do the pop up and it will automaticly continue flaring and cheffing untill you finish... that's one example... but the more advanced systems may do it automaticly - They detect SAM type and counter its systems...

If you want my pre-sets - go for something like :

1 - BVR

2 - CAS

3 - SAM

4 - Pop Up

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2020 at 10:55 PM, Wolfox1 said:

We Use it diffrently in real life than u would in the simulator.

F-16 Block D can carry X2 (Twice) the amount of Chaff and Flares than a Standard F-16.

Programs 1-2-3-4 are used mostly for diffrent Areas and Missions...

For Example - If you're on a POP-UP mission, you will need to go for a pre-set program that goes from 0 Altitude, fires some chef and flares, and continue it on untill you go back low-level - it's about 40 seconds. you press it once when you pull - you do the pop up and it will automaticly continue flaring and cheffing untill you finish... that's one example... but the more advanced systems may do it automaticly - They detect SAM type and counter its systems...

If you want my pre-sets - go for something like :

1 - BVR

2 - CAS

3 - SAM

4 - Pop Up

@Wolfox1

If it is not classified information, could you (pretty please), share the information in a table format for the presented scenarios as above?

BVR, CAS, SAM, Pop Up, and any others that you deem important?

I mean burst quantity, burst interval, Salvo quantity, Salvo interval. etc. 60 chaff and flares get depleted pretty fast using the default DCS setup.

I could make a kneeboard out of this that you could use to enter in the DTC program, and then it could be shared in files and loaded up into the DCS DTC program available for download here:

Thank you.

image.png

Edited by dertien

• 2 months later...

I hope this is the correct thread to post this so here it goes:
In the Mission Editor I load my Viper with 30 chaff and 90 flares but when I fly the mission my counters show 28 chaff and 88 flares...
Is there some Counter Measures Tax or something? 😛
So, is this normal
or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by SgtNickElis
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SgtNickElis said:

I hope this is the correct thread to post this so here it goes:
In the Mission Editor I load my Viper with 30 chaff and 90 flares but when I fly the mission my counters show 28 chaff and 88 flares...
Is there some Counter Measures Tax or something? 😛
So, is this normal
or am I doing something wrong?

It's a bug and it's been that way for ages. There is nothing you can do to get around it. When it'll get fixed, only ED knows...

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante