VKB GLADIATOR NXT - Entry Level Taken to the NXT Level

UIV

Yeah, I used both the Warthog and Hornet grips and the Nxt is smaller where it is oncomfortable for me.

And quality-wise (feel of buttons, etc) how does the NXT compare to the Warthog?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

I like the feel of the Warthog buttons and material (metal) better, but the VKB gimball feels way better and has rudder

Thanks. It has rudder if you select that option I believe. I have rudder pedals already so wouldn't need twist. I'll see what kind of deals come up on the Warthog in the next few months. At the current price the NXT is about $150 cheaper for me, and looks like it won't ship to me until Xmas or after anyways. I don't anticipate that price difference will last however.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

is every stick like that?

Hats might be moving unlike in CH devices because CH hats don't allow pressing while these ones do.

Shortening the hats' travel may sound a good idea, but practice shows when you push the hat to the side you would pretty often depress the central button unwillingly.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

• 1 month later...

VKB, what can I say, I'm a fan. Keep the engineering up and don't give in into marketing bullshit. The fact that you improve your plastic stick throw over your top of the line metal gimbal throw speaks mountains about your striving to improve things. Do I have criticism about this product yet? Yes I do.

Make the POV hat stick a little shorter, it makes it harder to control for smaller hands where the Kosmosima just fits.

Also, please sign your drivers/software for Winblows OS. Thank You!

Here's a nice review, again from VKBs site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4cj2WiJ4

Also, you need to talk to this guy, because his review while missing some key points is the best review about any Joystick I've ever seen, of course..I'm biased.

Really, all the information here made me decide on the VKB but the two most important things for me were:

1: EMC capable design

2: Mechanics review and Gimbal analysis by Jay (link above)

Everything I RE-learned afterwards has just confirmed my decision so that's why I'm a fan. People drool over Virpil but I was HORRIFIED to see this:

Edit: I ALMOST forgot...you need to TOUT this(EMC electronic design) as an advantage over competitors:

How do you explain EMC to a layman customer...just use Logitech's X-56.

Problem:

Raw unexplained data:

EMI fix based on raw unexplained data above:

Saitek X56 Throttle "ghost inputs" potential fix : hotas (reddit.com)

Edited by einarabelc5

On 10/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, AeroGator said:

Hats might be moving unlike in CH devices because CH hats don't allow pressing while these ones do.

Shortening the hats' travel may sound a good idea, but practice shows when you push the hat to the side you would pretty often depress the central button unwillingly.

Oh so that's why the POV hat is so long? Well, can you move the whole thing (including the switch itself) inward? I mean I thought about it a little more and what threw my brain off is that the POV hat is NOT on the same plane as the rest of the controls (4 way hats) on that area, it feels like an anomaly sticking out. Plus is hard to control because it takes a lot of flex to detect movement without messing with control curves.

It seems a compromise between movement and dealing with the unwanted button depress issue is still needed to reach a balance point. I mean, you can see the actual switch BROWN PCB below the stick, you could just move it inwards and put it in the same plane as the rest. And for the record I also had the CH fighter stick and chose the VKB NXT instead. I didn't like the top of their stick that much because the controls barely moved and the stick's top was oversized, an in between what you have now and CH would be nice as another adjustment when it comes to deflection/detection ratios.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered an NXT today, should be here by the 23rd if all goes well.  The CAD dollar is quite high right now and it doesn't look like the Warthog is back in stock anytime soon for a reasonable price, so I'll see how VKB is.  Maksim's review swayed me as I do fly all of the helicopters and play IL2, not just modern jets.  I will post my impressions when I get it going.

Hi!

Looks very nice. At the moment I have a Hotas Warthog but I have serious problems with mi my wrist.  The springs are hard and pain chronic is here. Any one who has it could tell me if is more comfortable and lightweight?.
many years  go, I had a CH combat stick and was very very comfortable.
If any one of you know about this , please answer my wrist is painfull...
Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a Gladiator nxt premium to replace my gigantic X56.

Fingers crossed

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 3 weeks later...

Received my NXT after about 2 weeks from the date of order.  It was right during Xmas, so I was expecting delays.  Oddly it sat in Japan for 3 days before going from there to Memphis to Calgary all in the same day.  It then sat for a few more days in Calgary before finally getting to me in Sask.  Total cost with shipping, duties and GST was $273 CAD ($207 USD - yes, I had to pay $21.37 CAD for duties + GST).

First impressions were that it was very well packaged and quite easy to assemble.  Everything that should have been included was.  I was a bit worried by how 'light' it was until I attached the baseplate.  One small gripe was that one of the screws on the baseplate did not go in all the way to be perfectly flush with the bottom of the baseplate.  I tried switching them around, but it was just that one corner that was an issue, but it's very slight, and I'm pretty anal about such things.

On plugging it into my PC, Win 10 recognized it right away and installed it, but there was a flashing red light on the stick that wouldn't go away, and I was unable to perform the calibration process outlined in the instructions.  I tried other USB ports to no avail.  I watched all the videos on the VKB site, and eventually had to google the solution as there was none to be found in the official docs or on the site.  This is a pretty common issue apparently, and VKB should at the bare minimum put it into the FAQ, if not right into the calibration instructions. 

The solution was to install and run the VKBDevCfg software.  Neither the quick start nor calibration videos make any mention of this.  The downloads section is also quite confusing about what you actually need to install for what stick.  I figured it out by watching videos, but shouldn't have to.  The UI of the software is very archaic, even by sim standards.

The other thing that wasn't explained anywhere was how to lock the twist (on the NXT), but I assumed that the screw in the bag of other screws was for that, and figured it out.  Anyways, once that was done it was recognized in DCS and I was able to map keys right away.  Overall I love the feel of the stick and it is the perfect size for my hands (large size gloves).  The smooth motion is also really excellent, and it all feels very high quality, which I wasn't expecting for a plastic stick. 

It's a massive upgrade over my 21 year old Saitek X45.  That stick was still perfectly good, but the size, motion, and buttons/hats on this one are far more useful and easier to reach.  With the MSFS-craze I was able to sell the X45 for $60, hours after listing it locally.  I probably could have asked more, but I only paid $100 for it new 21 years ago, so I was happy to get anything for it.

I still need to test it in IL2, and will try it in MSFS as well (my son has gamepass) just to see how easily it is to map.  I have questions about the buttons, but I'll post that separately.

Edited by aleader
  • Like 1

I'm currently mapping it for the A10C II along with my TWCS throttle.  I have TrackHat and Cougar MFDs, so I am wondering what I can use the smooth hat (top left) for?  I also haven't figured out a use for the dials and throttle on the base  of the stick.  I use the TWCS dial for zoom view.  Any ideas? 

I also have FC3, the Harrier, F18, Sabre, and all the helicopters, although other than the Ka 50, the helis don't really use a lot of buttons to begin with.

Edited by aleader

I use that particular hat as TMS, the lower for DMS and the upper right hat as trim with the A-10CII

Haven't found a use for the rotaries, but I use the 2 of the 3 buttons for VR headset recenter & F10 Map

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

On 1/15/2021 at 10:41 AM, Sr. said:

I use that particular hat as TMS, the lower for DMS and the upper right hat as trim with the A-10CII

Haven't found a use for the rotaries, but I use the 2 of the 3 buttons for VR headset recenter & F10 Map

Good to know, thanks.  I didn't realize you could use that Hat as a 4-way, I'll give it a go.

1 hour ago, aleader said:

Good to know, thanks.  I didn't realize you could use that Hat as a 4-way, I'll give it a go.

The premium version comes with an analog stick installed in that position. Which can be replaced with the included 4 way only stick.

I know to activate/deactivate the analog stick you need to push click.

--Arthur C Clark