A Wishlist of Features For The Mission Editor

Alpenwolf

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but I'll mention it here as well: Localised FARPs and other reinforced locations.

My FARPs in syria currently are a lush green field rising out of the desert. Same goes for some of the reïnforced structures like ZU-23-2 emplacements.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

1 - Password protected game master slots.

2 - Undo (Ctrl-Z) functionality.

3 - Native polygonal zones.

4 - Waypoint loop, and randomization for all units/groups.

5 - More accurate patrol boat objects/models (boghammer, etc.)

6 - A native technical with terrorist/insurgent looking guys in it.

7 - Fixed 12.7mm gun positions.

8 - A machinegunner for the red side.

9 - A Javelin, LAWS or other RPG equivalent for the blue side.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

1 - Password protected game master slots.

2 - Undo (Ctrl-Z) functionality.

3 - Native polygonal zones.

4 - Waypoint loop, and randomization for all units/groups.

5 - More accurate patrol boat objects/models (boghammer, etc.)

6 - A native technical with terrorist/insurgent looking guys in it.

7 - Fixed 12.7mm gun positions.

8 - A machinegunner for the red side.

9 - A Javelin, LAWS or other RPG equivalent for the blue side.

+1, and the ATGM emplacements for both sides

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

95% of these can be done with scripting. Just saying.

Scripting should not be the method of choice. Almost all should be possible be done without scripting.

The scripting is important part of all games, but it should be more about assisting a specific functions simplification than how to build them. So one can use the mission editor to create the script, that then can be called to avoid going through all again.

That is the point of triggers and all.

One of the reasons why DCS stays as minor game in the whole gaming industry regardless its major potential to be something amazing, is that it is just so annoyingly complex for average player to make anything more than "put bunch of units there and pretend that there is a war when you blow helpless units".

The reason why dynamic campaign has been lacking is that the basic core functions are not there.

There is no Intelligence in the Artificial. There is no basic logic for each unit to survive, to complete their expected tasks, unless you start to make very complex scripts (and those don't help either).

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, +1 on everyone else's ideas- there are some really good ones. Might I add...

1. The ability to program vehicle / ship waypoints by course and distance in addition to point and click Or at least show a tag with the course /dist from the previous waypoint at the cursor.

2. A 'mark point' function when using the ruler. Stretch your line out to where you want it, hit a key, and it puts a marker there that stays until you clear it. Helpful for moving units around. Similarly, perhaps the ability to set the ruler at a point and the punch in a bearing / distance, at which you get a marker point that stays until cleared.

3. The ability to switch ROE and COALTION of individual units with a trigger. That bad guy hiding among neutrals? When --condition-- is met, boom. He turns 'red' and goes to town.

4. Ability to get a unit to dogfight in a weapons hold status. (Maneuver as if fighting but not fire) Call it the 'hassle' or 'thump' function. STOP COND when...

5. Spawn in zone (mentioned above, I think)

6. Select box to grab multiple groups to either move or delete them. (Also mentioned above)

Side note: while it is wonderful what some people can do with scripting, not all of us can script. Also, it's harder to 'clone' a script, whereas triggers and actions can be cloned ad infinitum. It would be nice if the mission editor could do more nifty stuff without the ability of the user to code in lua. Kudos to those that can.

Also, not sure if it calls into the category of the ME wish list, but we need more units in the game like cargo ships, tankers, fishing boats, and more generic naval units in general. The Naval Collection Mod was (and parts of it still are) great, but updates break mods and it would be nice just to have this stuff in game to use.

8:

An option to disable weapons appearing on the F10 map. Quite many users (including myself) use the CA module to provide GCI for their side. Providing players with BRAA's is something, but seeing the enemy's missiles incoming is unwanted for that purpose. I know CA is not mainly for GCI purposes but with an option like this it becomes closer to that.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Built in debugging tools. Just straight up ripoff the debug window functionality from Arma. If you launch a mission from the editor (if logged in as admin in multiplayer as well if possible) you should be able to write/modify scripts on the fly and watch variables.

• 2 months later...

9:

The option to add more parking lots at some airbases. Jiroft airbase for instance has 3 only. Lar 5, and so on.

I know we can make airplanes start on the ground and then place them manually at an airbase and I do that quite often. The problem is, this doesn't apply to FC3 airplanes. And also if you want to limit the number of airplanes at an airbase it becomes impossible to do because airplanes placed on the ground at an airbase are not part of the airbase's warehouse.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

5 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

9:

The option to add more parking lots at some airbases. Jiroft airbase for instance has 3 only. Lar 5, and so on.

I know we can make airplanes start on the ground and then place them manually at an airbase and I do that quite often. The problem is, this doesn't apply to FC3 airplanes. And also if you want to limit the number of airplanes at an airbase it becomes impossible to do because airplanes placed on the ground at an airbase are not part of the airbase's warehouse.

The request for extra parking slots on airfields belongs in the map wish sub-forums as it's not ME related :wink: (in your case the Persian Gulf wish sub-forum)

You can only place "start from ground" units, that have the capability to do vertical take-off (helo's and the Harrier). All other aircraft only have taxi pathing implemented from the available parking slots.

In addition to this thread; I wish it were possible to have AI units to respawn without the use of scripting. That would make it possible to create endless waves of enemies. (but there's probably a technical reason why such a thing isn't possible)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 1/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, sirrah said:

The request for extra parking slots on airfields belongs in the map wish sub-forums as it's not ME related :wink: (in your case the Persian Gulf wish sub-forum)

You can only place "start from ground" units, that have the capability to do vertical take-off (helo's and the Harrier). All other aircraft only have taxi pathing implemented from the available parking slots.

In addition to this thread; I wish it were possible to have AI units to respawn without the use of scripting. That would make it possible to create endless waves of enemies. (but there's probably a technical reason why such a thing isn't possible)

Sure. But through ME to somehow make it possible for the editor to add and remove parking lots. That's what I meant. Although, I do think it's tough to do.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 2 weeks later...

Improvements on the UI to improve efficiency would be top of my list:

• Undo command
  • Box select tool
  • Filters on lists - the only one are the rudimentary ones in the unit list (which should be able to be full screen or re-sizeable).  Filter by unit type (air def, armour, etc) Sort function on the columns to show things in alphabetical order, type order, etc.  Ideally with a tree structure browser so you could group things and operate on groups (like, make ALL red Air defence go to alarm state RED at xx)

Currently, as other have said, it's quicker to learn LUA from scratch and use a script than it is to use the native ME.

• Like 1

10:

The ability to copy and paste the warehouses of a FARP to another. We have that with airbases already where you can set up the warehouses (aircraft, weapons, fuel, etc.) as you like and then copy those settings to all airbases on that certain map if you want to. Would be great to have the same for FARP's, please.

I really hope all the above is at some point considered by ED. Some incredible and really helpful wishes here.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

The biggest wishlist item for me would be a PERSISTENCE LAYER that can persist (obviously) between campaign missions. It would be great to be able to build out a template of groups and statics and have their destruction carry over into the next mission.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 3 weeks later...

So many great ideas here to improve mission editing, yet the new ME wishlist sub-forum stays dead silent

C'mon guys, let's join forces and try and get ED's attention by posting in the new wishlist section. :director: 

I know I'm not the only one screaming for and "undo" and "box select" option  :laugh:

Edited by sirrah
grammar

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH