DCS of the Future?!

Hi guys,

first of all... i love DCS (ED and the community at all) but there is one problem with this simulation in my opinion. The overall look of the UI itselve.

Little sidestory...a good friend of my plays a lot of PARADOX games and there is the same problem. The game is outstanding and the functions are unique but the look is not really what you expact when you put a lot of money & effort in it. In this special interest games is the function king and its not easy to manage the complexity. In the PARADOX games and in DCS too. I see the problem an will show a solution for all of us.

I´m sure some people say „...this is a sim not a stupid game...“, „... we don´t need fancy graphics in a real sim...“ and „i don´t care“. When we want a growing community, the look of the product that we love so much is a important point for many young people to stay and invest in DCS.

DCS is at the beginning free to play and you have sometimes only one chance to catch the new player... to be honest... the look is a little bit 2007 style. You understand what i mean? The first impression must be better. You spend a lot of time outside of the cockpit and adjust the game/missions in the menues.

DCS is also a entertainment product and ED (and we too) need new, young pilots to grow the game. Here comes my work in play... i create a new look for the game... try to make it more modern and agressive. In my opinion the game need more eye candy... period.

In the first stage i try to use the existing UI and make it a little more „cool“ or "gamey" maybe. More graphic elements and not sooo boring. I don`t change the information in the elements too much to match the current menues. At the end i will try to give DCS a „AAA game“ look. Or better... thats my plan.

When you guys and ED like what i have done i will try a real overhaul of the UI with new ideas and more mayjor changes in the look and feel. For now is show some pics but in the future i will show more of the functions and ideas that i have.

Here are the first pics for you? You like it? Make a comment.

Disclaimer: Not finished yet.

PS: Copyright for the Hornet Background pics goes to @Xonne. I found his pics in the Screenshot section.

This is a non-commercial project... please respect my work. Thanks.

Greetings

Matthias aka mm13indy

DCS 2021 Mainpage

dcs2021_screen_mainpage_01.jpg

DCS 2021 Mainpage+Newsfeed

dcs2021_screen_newspage_01.jpg

DCS 2021 Logbook

dcs2021_screen_logbookpage_01.jpg

DCS 2021 Dynamic Campaign

dcs2021_screen_dyncampaign_01.jpg

Whilst I have no problem with how DCS UI looks right now, I must say that what you have ‘whipped up’ does look very, very good.

Interested to see where you take this.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Those pics look sharp indeed, but to be honest: If there s one thing I couldn't care less about then its UI eye candy. It's nice to have, but I would much rather see ED spending ressources in actual game mechanics.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think ED has said (maybe in one of those interviews with Nick Grey and such that have been popping up?) that the UI will undergo an overhaul at some point. I think he said the website was in need of redoing as well, such as bringing the User Files section to the forefront.

I have a feeling that the UI overhaul could happen sometime around the launch of MAC, as newcomers to DCS could do with a slightly more modern looking and intuitive interface. AS QuiGon said, not much of an issue for people already immersed in (and addicted to) DCS, but could be off-putting for new users, particularly younger ones.

What you've done looks great, though!

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

That looks really nice, well done!

It#s nice to have, but I would much rather see ED spending ressources in actual game mechanics.

Which is why it is a good thing that community members spend their time and rescources on it, so ED does not have to. Maybe throw the guy a few coins and make an option in the Settings for classic or modern UI :)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Shades of Falcon 4!

I do agree the current UI, while usable, could use a couple of tweaks driven by the success of ED (Meaning - there's a lot of moduals now!). One of these tweaks would benefit users, and one would benefit both users and ED.

First, back in the day when there were far fewer moduals, the thumbnails stretching past the screen width worked. Now, I own so many airplanes, 4 or 5 maps, several utilities, that it's annoying to have to click the distance to get to them. Like I said, usable, doable, just annoying.

While there are far bigger fish to fry, the UI is like the front side of one's house. You see it a lot and it's the thing that gives everyone - including guests - their first impression.

And it would be great to have airplanes just together, and not have maps and utilities (e.g, SRS) further adding to the thumbnail train.

Secondly, instead of having the one tiny tab for news and updates, a nice (well designed and uncrowded) news and updates column would be useful. Of course make it closeable,

Just my thoughts.

Edited by flameoutme

Shades of Falcon 4!

I do agree the current UI, while usable, could use a couple of tweaks driven by the success of ED (Meaning - there's a lot of moduals now!). One of these tweaks would benefit users, and one would benefit both users and ED.

First, back in the day when there were far fewer moduals, the thumbnails stretching past the screen width worked. Now, I own so many airplanes, 4 or 5 maps, several utilities, that it's annoying to have to click the distance to get to them. Like I said, usable, doable, just annoying.

While there are far bigger fish to fry, the UI is like the front side of one's house. You see it a lot and it's the thing that gives everyone - including guests - their first impression.

And it would be great to have airplanes just together, and not have maps and utilities (e.g, SRS) further adding to the thumbnail train.

Secondly, instead of having the one tiny tab for news and updates, a nice (well designed and uncrowded) news and updates column would be useful. Of course make it closeable,

Just my thoughts.

What's the importance of those thumbnails? I never interact with them at all :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Your concept looks great, it really does, but I'd but this at the absolute bottom of the list of things that need to be improved in DCS. There are more pressing issues that need attending to than the UI.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Looks nice. Current UI is fine for me. Only wishes might be resizable and dragable windows. Especially for when you mess up your screen config. Link to manuals for new users could be smart.

And they should have their own launcher out of the box like Skatezilla's.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

why do people have an issue with 90° angels?

and why does it allways need to look like its on cocain?

sorry but i really hope DCS does not take inspiration from this one

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

I really don't get the negative attitude towards this... If you don't like it and have nothing constructive, nothing to contribute, no need to comment!

I personally think that it's an improvement of what we have, and as someone who has most modules and has flown since A10C came out I can see your point of modernizing the UI to attract newer players.

It's easy to judge the game, which it is, that it is an 'old' game if you're on steam and just looking for something deeper than other flight games.

If you're looking for DCS in 2020, I'd want it to give me the initial impression of a 2020 game.

About the priotity, ofcourse alot of other things are above an UI overhaul, but that doesn't mean that the guys who's solving bugs have to do it...

I think this as a part of an larger 'image' overhaul, abit of PR to those that aren't already playing.

Great job mm13Indy!

why do people have an issue with 90° angels?

and why does it allways need to look like its on cocain?

sorry but i really hope DCS does not take inspiration from this one

I don't get why some always needs these drug references when it's so obvious they have no experience with it...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Whilst I have no problem with how DCS UI looks right now, I must say that what you have ‘whipped up’ does look very, very good.

Interested to see where you take this.

Yep, that's my opinion on this as well. :thumbup:

Modding is all about giving more options and alternatives for yourself and others.

Different tastes suit different people, so you just need to deal with the fact that you will never please everyboby.

So, as long as you are commited to do this, I say "just do it".

tenor.gif

:D

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Meh, this does nothing for me. I prefer the current UI and on the hierarchy of things needing attention or changing, the UI is real low on the totem pole

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

This concept is really nice! Crg for idea and what I see. :)

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I like this attempt very much, too.

How about some thoughts, if and how this could work in VR? As I still like the actual presentation, I really would like to have some choice maybe to represent my aircraft modules in a kind of a hangar or airfield/flightline. If one looks at how well some racing titles represent their cars, that's something DCS maybe could take ideas from.

VR in mind I even could imagine some day that one virtually walks along his personal flightline and get in the aircraft of choice and start your mission/campaign from there... or enter a mission briefing area prior to this and during the mission gets loaded one is transferred via crew shuttle to the shelter, etc...

Nothing of that should have a high priority, but improving the immersion factor from the start wouldn't just please the younger folks.

Sure, DCS has some much more important things to fix. But if they themself already think about doing a walk around, entering the plane etc. some day, such ideas are not that far off.

Just my 2c

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

This is NOT a mod. A moderator pushed my thread in this section. It's totally wrong.

They don't understand what i attempt to do.

My goal is to modernize the look but some guys shift this thread in the standard ranting thing. Please dont do this. I want a discussion about the future of the UI itself.

Why you here when the game is sooo bad? You demoralize people with the will and ability to do some improfements to the game. I make this in my freetime. Have a bit respect... not more.

I work in the marketing industry and i think i have the knowlge to do some good. Sure... it's totally personal taste but the overall look is not as modern as the game itself. I will help to make thing better instead of pointing the finger to things they dont work properly.

I feel with all the defs from ED. Whatever they do its never enough and never that what you expect. I have a idea for you... be a part of the solution.

Thank to all of you with an idea for the future. Maybe not my idea... thats fine for me. Be constructive in a positive way.

I dont have a VR goggle but i think about it. Can you give me some important info about the issues with the existing solution? Maybe i can work on a way to show my vision in VR.

By the way... the thing with the modules on the buttom... is very simple... it show you whats available and what you have. Every time when you start the game. A good marketing tool to sale the modules.

Someone says we need a update section... good idea. i have that in mind.

mm13indy

My goal is to modernize the look but some guys shift this thread in the standard ranting thing. Please dont do this. I want a discussion about the future of the UI itself.

Why you here when the game is sooo bad? You demoralize people with the will and ability to do some improfements to the game. I make this in my freetime. Have a bit respect... not more.

you cant just post something about how YOU think something should be and expect people who dont like it not voicing thier opinions.

Worse you dismiss opinions not aligned with your as "ranting". Sorry but this is not how this works.

also, I am here just because i care about my game, just so you know.

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

It is a good composition but it's just a facelift. And facelift is necessary once a while. iOS, Windows, Google, they all do facelift on their UI. To freshen up. It's not better or worse. It's just different.

And people don't usually have problem with how something looks until you ask for their opinions. So... either be prepared to deal with the consequences or do what I do. Don't ask for opinions when it comes to styling or facelifts.

For me, the last thing of importance is the UI - I'm more of a functional guy and my thoughts were not to spend time on the UI that could be dedicated to enhancing the game itself. I well understand that some things can be quick and easy to implement, while other things that appear easy (like a UI facelift) could be more difficult than people realise, depending on how it was originally designed.

However - in saying that, the OP makes a valid point I hadn't considered. Does the first impression of the load screen make a difference to the number of uptakers of the game? I see things from my perspective (an older grump) and say "No - it's about the gameplay" - but I know I'm out of touch with the younger generation and maybe there is something here. I don't know.

Maybe - if a UI facelift cost 2 developers, but gave extra income that could pay for 4 developers - that's a excersize worth considering. (Just don't pull the resources off the Raven One debugging for it - hanging out for that campaign :smilewink:)

At the end of the day I don't know. I like the look of what you've posted - but more importantly your attitude! I've seen the world shift to where everyone is a critic. It's so easy to point out flaws, tell people what they're doing wrong, or what someone thinks they should be doing different.

Very few people step up to the plate and give some constructive critisism by actually jumping in and having a go themselves - and to this - I have to give full credit to the O.P!

Whether like the concept (which I don't mind), or hate it - at least they've done more than just whinge - they've tried to have some constructive input with what seems like a bit of thought put in. They show that they cared enough to invest some time into what they're pointing up - and that they're willing to step up to the plate. Something I'd like to see more of in this world!

Your suggestion may fall on deaf ears, or have a lot of people criticize you - but please don't lose that attitude of being willing to help with improvements instead of just critisising. We need more people like that in this world that's willing to throw their hat in the ring!

yeah I like your input, keep working on it.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png