SPO-15 RWR needs to be changed for the new DCS environment.

Max1mus

By my understanding the SPO-15 RWR on the 27 and 29A/S is programmable prior to the mission. In DCS, the Su-27 is constantly put against a mix of F-15/16/18 aswell as the F-14.

In real life, the F-14 and Su-27 never met in combat and were not expected to do so due to entirely different tasks (F-14 supposed to protect carriers from bombers, Su-27 mostly for defense of soviet mainland). I assume the SPO-15 would rather be programmed for different tasks than differentating between the F-14 and other fighters.

However, in the alternative scenarios of DCS, the F-14 is being used as a regular CAP platform over the mainland in the mix with other teen fighters. It would make sense to give mission designers a setting to program the SPO-15 differently, perhabs replacing the AWACS © light with one for radar nails from an F-14. If adding such programmability is too much work, just replacing either one of the SAM lights or the AWACS light with one for nails from AWG-9 would help mitigate the uselessness of the soviet aircraft in the current simulator.

Other RWR libraries in DCS have also been programmed for the reality of the sim. The F-14 RWR gets unique nails indications from JF-17, even though both aircraft never met. Will we see something similar for the SPO-15?

Edited by Max1mus

By my understanding the SPO-15 RWR on the 27 and 29A/S is programmable prior to the mission. In DCS, the Su-27 is constantly put against a mix of F-15/16/18 aswell as the F-14.

In real life, the F-14 and Su-27 never met in combat and were not expected to do so due to entirely different tasks (F-14 supposed to protect carriers from bombers, Su-27 mostly for defense of soviet mainland). I assume the SPO-15 would rather be programmed for different tasks than differentating between the F-14 and other fighters.

However, in the alternative scenarios of DCS, the F-14 is being used as a regular CAP platform over the mainland in the mix with other teen fighters. It would make sense to give mission designers a setting to program the SPO-15 differently, perhabs replacing the AWACS © light with one for radar nails from an F-14. If adding such programmability is too much work, just replacing either one of the SAM lights or the AWACS light with one for nails from AWG-9 would help mitigate the uselessness of the soviet aircraft in the current simulator.

Other RWR libraries in DCS have also been programmed for the reality of the sim. The F-14 RWR gets unique nails indications from JF-17, even though both aircraft never met. Will we see something similar for the SPO-15?

What they would need to do would be to replace the simplified version we have in the sim with real-world complexity. Instead of the 1 if by land, 2 if by sea approach...

П - irradiation of the Terrier air defense missile system or by F-4, F-104 airplanes with simultaneous illumination for the guidance of Sparrow missiles;

З - irradiation of the "Chaparel", "Vulcan" or "Sivulf" air defense systems;

X - irradiation of the Hawk-type air defense system or by F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18 aircraft (from long ranges);

H - irradiation of air defense systems such as "Nike-Hercules", "Patriot", "Talos";

Г- irradiation from short ranges of the F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18 aircraft or a Phoenix rocket with RTS (it is possible to display the G signal together with the X signal);

C - irradiation by aircraft such as F-4, F-5, F-104, F-111 (without turning on the illumination channel), MIRAGE, JAGUAR, LIGHTNING or air defense missile systems such as "Terrier", "Crotal",

Take note of the 2nd and 4th types (at long-range, short-range).

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AFAIK the real thing has a cards (circuit boards) that are inserted to system to program it. Each board is capable for specific frequency range scale, and those respond to what lights would correspond to.

So unless it is programmable by inputting some serial codes in order, then have in mission editor or kneeboard at repair phase as a list of emitters that player can set in wanted order or group them in wanted manner. Then have that listed in kneeboard.

As well AFAIK there isn't a 60 degree limitation as "dead zone" where there is not a single emitter visible for detection. There is a reason why these RWR antennas are made extend from the fuselage so they can see wider areas and they are positioned in such an order per aircraft design that mathematically they can be configured to calculate the proper triangulation. And if you make them flush with installed surface for aerodynamic reasons, then you can as well install more of them to cover the directions to avoid blind spots.

One antenna is required to detect emission and strength.

Second antenna is required to calculate direction but not elevation.

Third antenna is required to calculate elevation.

The SPO-15 8s interesting device and it is even more interesting that how the engineers decided to install it in cockpits of fighters, placing it deep inside the cockpit, very far from the HUD and all.

Why I have come to believe that we are missing something, like the RWR on either the HUD or HDD, and the SPO panel itself is just an electronical backup unit that is away from primary center part of instrument panel.

We are missing so many HDD/HUD functions and weapon/system automatic configuration sets that something else can be missing very easily.

• Like 3

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.