Something to know about building with MDF

Osita

I noticed almost everyone recommending to use MDF for building cockpit frame, and this is probably fine if you live in Europe or US. I want to bring some attention to the fact that if you live in any place that could be described as "tropical" then MDF will be a very bad choice. It can get ugly very fast, because it absorbs moisture even if you paint it. This can result in a soft, crumbly texture on the thinner sheets and also mold.

I am using plaswood and this is what I would recommend for everyone, not just those who live in tropical environments. It has these advantages:

1. Very light compared to just about everything else, but still reasonably strong if you choose good quality.

2. Easy to work with. You can drill it and cut it so easily, and screws will auto-countersink every time.

3. Easy to paint. Other wood slurps up paint, which is very expensive. With plaswood I have found that nearly always I only need one coat of paint (I use "Leyland" and "ATM" spray paint, which gives me much better results than more expensive paints that I have tried).

4. Typically can be wiped clean with just a damp cloth.

Disadvantages:

1. Slightly more expensive than MDF (where I live, anyway). I think the advantages listed above more than justify the very small increase in the cost.

2. Anything thinner than 10mm will not have good resistance against breaking, so you will need to be careful when handling thin pieces.

3. If you hit or bump it too hard, it will definitely leave impact craters. You may need to take this into account if you have kids or overly-rambunctious pets, etc.

4. It's not a natural product, and I don't know if the dust particles resulting from cutting it may harm your health and I don't know if it is good or bad for the environment (I am guessing they use some recycled plastics in the manufacturing process, so it probably is "good" but I don't actually know at this time).

Note that I know many of you have successfully used MDF and you love it, and that's fine. I don't personally have a vendetta against the stuff, but I found the results very disappointing and hope that by sharing my experience then some of you may avoid the same costly mistakes that I have endured during my building process.

I'd also like to add that the dust from MDF can absolutely be toxic.

'When MDF is cut, sanded, shaped or machined in any way, it releases clouds of dust particles coated with formaldehyde. ... There is evidence that formaldehyde-exposed workers have high rates of lung cancer and (nose and throat) cancer.'

I built my cockpit from MDF, but I made sure that I worked in a ventilated area, and I wore a P3 mask.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Can confirm that the mdf dust will irritate your lungs when cutting.

Also one major disadvantage is its weakness, especially its resistance against bending/torque/warping. I used 8 mm thick mdf for my main instrument panel (F16) but it keeps breaking up. So tired of glueing everything back together.

Will use polycarbonate 3 mm thick next time. Really sturdy material and relatively easy to machine (with cnc router).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You can't get Plaswood anywhere I shop, so not exactly an easy substitute.

Key with MDF is you don't just paint it, you have to fully seal it when it's as dry as possible. I personally prefer Birch Ply to MDF that just needs an oil based primer prior to paint.

And as always, don't forget to wear your dustmask.

${1}

Edited by RustBelt