operating manual

Pirate1

Yes there’s a DCS World manual

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

See \DCS World\Doc for a general DCS manual.

Additionally each aircraft has its own individual operating manual, which can be found in \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\xxx\Doc.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The F18 manual is just about operating the aircraft, not the mission.

What does “operating the mission” mean?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I mean the basics I need to operate the sim itself. Things like comms, ATC, AWACS, ground targets, JTAC, tankers, AI wingmen, etc. Things that are common to all missions, knowledge of which is assumed in the briefings and tutorials.

I mean the basics I need to operate the sim itself. Things like comms, ATC, AWACS, ground targets, JTAC, tankers, AI wingmen, etc. Things that are common to all missions, knowledge of which is assumed in the briefings and tutorials.
The F/A-18C is still in early access, and it's manual isn't complete yet.

Other complete modules have sections dedicated to these topics. Such as basic flight, combat employment, and radio communication.

If a module can use features like JTAC or tankers it will have a description of that operation, and there are difference for wingmen depending on the module used. Even the ATC will be different.

Got it. I looked at a couple of the other manuals and it I agree it makes sense to individualize the instructions. Maybe there's something I missed in the DCS 2020 user manual or the F18 manual that refers to using other manuals as references for now? Or maybe I should have figured that out on my own? Thanks

Maybe there's something I missed in the DCS 2020 user manual or the F18 manual that refers to using other manuals as references for now? Or maybe I should have figured that out on my own? Thanks

Nah, the simulator doesn't do fantastic job of providing easy access to these manuals (unless you're on Steam), and the most it references them is in the tutorial missions to tell you they exist. For the stand alone version you have to visit the DCS website (?) or navigate your computer's file structure to find them. No idea about the website but the most recent version of the manuals will be installed on your computer with the module.

The developers (and community) have probably developed a bias of expecting older modules to provide this kind of contextual knowledge i.e. nobody has really structured the training/documentation yet for completely new players starting with the F/A-18C as their first purchase. Key word is "yet," it's still in lengthy development. And yeah you probably got to hunt around/experiment to fill the gaps yet to be filled.:joystick:

Got it. I looked at a couple of the other manuals and it I agree it makes sense to individualize the instructions. Maybe there's something I missed in the DCS 2020 user manual or the F18 manual that refers to using other manuals as references for now? Or maybe I should have figured that out on my own? Thanks

As randomTOTEN said, the Hornet-manual is still very incomplete, which is why it is currently just labeled as a "Early Access Guide", not a full on manual. It will grow until the final release of the Hornet. The A-10C manual for example has ~700 pages.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg